Google Earth

BigDave

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Governments would love.

I can see my mates conservatory and large shed/garage. Wonder if his rates will go up next year?

Douglas Corpy will love this too

Aren't you putting the cart before the horse so to speak? By which I mean - aren't these images from part of the data which is already used for those sort of surveys?

Don't know, Pongo.

Fisrt time I have seen images as clear as this for Douglas

Just phoned a DoT mate and he has had access to these type images for some time

I think that Getmapping previously had the rights to these images - and previous incarnations of these sets. I think that there was some sort of licencing complication which stopped Google Earth previously being more detailed.

^ I think - that isn't definite. Getmapping have certainly been selling very detailed aerial images of the island for ages. At least 5 or more years. And I thought they were govt survey images. Although I can't remember now why I thought they were govt images.

You could establish the approximate time and date of each shot from the length and direction of shadows.

Compare these two from different years, One early morning the other later in the afternoon.

The gravestones and graves (right hand corner mostly recent) give a good indication of date.

post-266-1210802491_thumb.jpg

post-266-1210802509_thumb.jpg

There is a Road Race taking place at Jurby. If 2006, then it's either Sat 20 May or Sat 15 July when that area was taken.

Plus, there are quite a few Vehicles still in the Field down at Billown so as the 2006 Southern 100 was 11-13 July, I would say it was Saturday 15 July.

Archived