Google Earth

BigDave

Could some one please PM me the lat and long for the memorial up on north barule please as i cant find it, last time i tried to find it a sprained my ankle so i'm a bit hesitant to try again with out knowing if i'm heading in the right direction

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The image data on Google Earth is a few years old. The custodian of the image data is DOLGE.

We have been using the image data for several years now as it assists me in work. The images are taken from an aircraft, not satellite, and are produced by BKS Surveys. Areas of the Island are re-imaged when required, usually annually, and the image data set is updated.

The latest image set is dated July 2007, I think. You can purchase an image of a specific area direct from DOLGE Cartographic Section.

It is interesting to flick through different image sets to see just what happens to an area over the years, to see who is building what and which land owners are moving fences !!

Ah - ha.

So -

Did DOLGE sell the data, or is it on 'loan'?

As pictures of my house, my cars, my boat and me are now freely available on the internet for all to see ... How do I go about getting these removed from this data?

The image data on Google Earth is a few years old. The custodian of the image data is DOLGE.

We have been using the image data for several years now as it assists me in work. The images are taken from an aircraft, not satellite, and are produced by BKS Surveys. Areas of the Island are re-imaged when required, usually annually, and the image data set is updated.

The latest image set is dated July 2007, I think. You can purchase an image of a specific area direct from DOLGE Cartographic Section.

It is interesting to flick through different image sets to see just what happens to an area over the years, to see who is building what and which land owners are moving fences !!

As pictures of my house, my cars, my boat and me are now freely available on the internet for all to see ... How do I go about getting these removed from this data?

You can't. Images of your house and other property can be freely sold by whoever wants to take and sell them.

There are restrictions on how images of your property might be used. The most basic distinction is between commercial use (advertising) and editorial use (which is essentially what this is). This would be an essay length answer for a rights-lawyer because there are many different factors and the rules are different in different countries - but none of those restrictions would be likely to be applicable in this example or else Google Earth would not exist.

In this example it would almost certainly be for the people who own the copyright of the photographs to determine how the pictures can be licensed. The Google license agreement will also certainly be so tight that it prevents any possible case in any jurisdiction, on Google Earth.

Right - that sorts my property out then, but what about the image of ME?

Purely out of interest, what are you worried or concerned about? You're probably on hundreds of CCTV cameras every week without even realising it.

Probably, but closed circuit TV is not the internet, and recorded images taken by CCTV are subject to some protection laws. Google earth allows all image data to be placed into a public domain, taken by whoever.

Just wondering really.

Purely out of interest, what are you worried or concerned about? You're probably on hundreds of CCTV cameras every week without even realising it.

Probably, but closed circuit TV is not the internet, and recorded images taken by CCTV are subject to some protection laws. Google earth allows all image data to be placed into a public domain, taken by whoever.

Just wondering really.

Fair enough

Given the resolution of Google Earth you must have an enormous face to be recognizable on an aerial photograph.

If you aren't recognizable (your face normally) then there is a 100% certainty that there is nothing you can do. As opposed to there being a 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999% certainty that there is nothing you can do.

Google earth allows all image data to be placed into a public domain, taken by whoever.

The images on Google Earth are not in the "public domain". They are subject to licensing agreements which all users of Google Earth agree to. These are rights managed images which are licensed from the copyrights holders. They are not being given away. Google is effectively the client.

• 1 month later...

Its called knock froy motocross(scramble) course. owned by the pevril mcc Been there for years but is now in jeopardy due to a certain land owner complaining about silt run-off causing pollution to his private pond.

Archived