[BBC News] Appeal over dolphin sea sightings

Newsbot

I.ve heard it said that if you see a tuna fish, a dolphin wont be far behind .

I saw a tuna today!

So if there are any dolphin watchers amongst you , get your ass down to "Tescos" it can't be long now?

I rememember the one in Pt Erin, when that lady was nicked for fiddling with its gilberts :o

No wonder it kept returning, bukshee hand relief :cool:

ps a dolphin,not a whale ^_^

Was that in Port Erin?

I recall the incident but not that it happened here.

As best my memory serves it was here. I remember it was common ish knowledge locally well before the prosecution.

As i recall, a local salmon fisherman shot it as it raided his nets, it later turned up in wales--alive but pissed off with the IOM.

As best my memory serves it was here. I remember it was common ish knowledge locally well before the prosecution.

As i recall, a local salmon fisherman shot it as it raided his nets, it later turned up in wales--alive but pissed off with the IOM.

Would that be Donald? As I recall, there was a TV programme about him and it featured his 'friend' and also said dolphin in some degree of tumescence; 'twas the talk of Douglas quay for some time.

Was she really prosecuted?

Donald leaps for joy - Photo by Dr Horace Dobbs of International Dolphin Watch Copyright IDW

Donald, or Beaky as he was also called, was a male bottlenose, of about 16 years with a real sense of fun. His playful antics are wonderfully detailed in Horace Dobbs book "Follow a wild dolphin". Over the years 1972 - 1978 he gradually built up his trust, with a local woman named Maura Mitchell being his first human friend, and perhaps favourite, followed closely by Horace and his son. On one occasion, Donald swam underneath Horace's snorkelling son and lifted him upon his back, giving him a memorable ride. He was always playing games, boisterously swimming with his friends, pulling at divers flippers if they tried to exit the water. He would also move moored boats around by grabbing hold of the ropes, and especially liked to tease his other friend a dog named Spratt. Donald seemed to delight in making Spratt crazy, by drenching him with water, or moving from side to side around the boat, with little Spratt running in barking circles to find him. He occasionally got into scrapes. At one point he was stranded, and also nearly got entangled in the wires connected to explosive charges. Later, he got a mooring rope tangled around his tail flukes and was stuck for two days. When he was finally located, he lifted his tail as if to show his rescuers what was wrong. Donald made a lengthy southward odyessey along 480 kms of coastline, from the Isle of Man, to Pembrokshire in Wales, right down to Penzance in Cornwall in 1976, delighting many humans along the journey. In 1977, Donald appeared at Falmouth, taking a fancy to a particular boat, spending hours around it, and winning the hearts of the locals. He was last seen in 1978 just prior to the worst storm on record. Perhaps after that time, he simply rejoined his own kind, after bringing joy to so many people.

source

Cant find anything about a woman being prosecuted, although there was some strange stories about a couple of lads in the north sea who were nicked for whacking off a dolphin.

Archived