Democratically Elected Major

Jimcalagon

http://www.manxradio.com/readNEwsItem.aspx?id=20156

So the next Major of Douglas will not be a Councillor having lost her seat at the recent elections.

I can do that gis a job, at least I haven't been proven not to have the support of the electorate whereas the incoming major most clearly has been told that she is not wanted.

What on earth has possessed Douglas Council, are they hell bent on making themselves unpopular, this is the Civic Head of the Borough and should therefore be someone who has been democratically elected.

The 'Major of Douglas'? I knew things were bad here but I didn't realise Douglas was under martial law. :P

http://www.manxradio.com/readNEwsItem.aspx?id=20156

So the next Major of Douglas will not be a Councillor having lost her seat at the recent elections.

I can do that gis a job, at least I haven't been proven not to have the support of the electorate whereas the incoming major most clearly has been told that she is not wanted.

What on earth has possessed Douglas Council, are they hell bent on making themselves unpopular, this is the Civic Head of the Borough and should therefore be someone who has been democratically elected.

The 'Major of Douglas'? I knew things were bad here but I didn't realise Douglas was under martial law. :P

the town has obviously gone up in the world - pre 1777 all it had was a Captain - one of the last of these, Paul Bridson, was the distant ancestor of Tony Blair and made himself rich by fiddling the customs revenue.

Question of democracy obviously arises, unelected person having the casting vote at meetings etc; also all correspondence at council is confidential to councillors only, she is not a councillor and therefore isn't allowed to see items.

If, on the other hand, her title is purely ceremonial and her only duties will be ceremonial then so what. At least it frees up a councillor to get on with the work they were elected to do instead of enjoying all those free lunches and evening receptions. Just one final question however; who is paying her expenses and which budget is it coming out of? If she is unelected it should be illegal for the council to spend any money on her.

A can of worms for sure, but then what do we expect form the 'independents' in the council?

This is a new council and should not be bound by a decision of the old council, a clause should be written into the constitution/standing orders to stop this happening ever again.

As I don't live in Douglas and therefore don't pay for this situation I'll stop commenting anymore and leave room for the Douglasites to develop their arguments.

Think of an unelected member of the Parliament of a country, chosen by the government of another country and voted for by members of an organisation in another country, not even a political organisation yet.

'Sound like a third world' dictatorship, maybe it is.

What do you get?

The lord bishop of Sodor and Mann.

Not so unique then?

Archived