New Chief Minister

crumlin

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Donald Gelling WILL be the new Chief Minister after  all others that may have stood for the job have withdrawn thier interest.

This indeed does appear to the way that things have been "arranged".

I am absolutely disgusted that this is even being seriously considered.

THE CHIEF MINISTER IS THE MOST POWERFUL POLITICIAN ON THE ISLE OF MAN!

Yes, I'm shouting. Too right I'm shouting.

DONALD GELLING HAS NOT BEEN ELECTED BY THE PEOPLE OF THE ISLE OF MAN.

And I'll continue to shout

IS EVERYONE GOING TO ALLOW THIS?

What can be done if there is another fiasco? Vote him out? We can't because we didn't vote him in.

This place is resembling some dictatorship regime more and more every damned day.

And they'll still wonder why people don't vote!

Donald Gelling WILL be the new Chief Minister after  all others that may have stood for the job have withdrawn thier interest.

This indeed does appear to the way that things have been "arranged".

I am absolutely disgusted that this is even being seriously considered.

THE CHIEF MINISTER IS THE MOST POWERFUL POLITICIAN ON THE ISLE OF MAN!

Yes, I'm shouting. Too right I'm shouting.

DONALD GELLING HAS NOT BEEN ELECTED BY THE PEOPLE OF THE ISLE OF MAN.

And I'll continue to shout

IS EVERYONE GOING TO ALLOW THIS?

What can be done if there is another fiasco? Vote him out? We can't because we didn't vote him in.

This place is resembling some dictatorship regime more and more every damned day.

And they'll still wonder why people don't vote!

Well you see they cannot let Cannan into the top office because he would blow the gaff. At least the "Don" will bring continuity. Ha ha ha.

Absolutely disgusting.

This is not government. It is mafia, Manx style.

I think that you'll find that Richard Corkhill was elected by the public as an MHK. Whereas, Donald Gelling stood down as an MHK but was elected by the keys to be an MLC. The public, at this time, don't have any votes on who becomes an MLC. Therefore, if Donald Gelling was elected by the Keys to be the Chief Minister, it would be undemocratic because he wasn't even elected by the public in the first place.

Just because you or anyone else didn't vote for Richard Corkhill doesn't mean that he wasn't elected. It's your elected representatives that decide who becomes the Chief Minister. If you don't like the decisions that your elected representatives make then you don't vote for them at the election and they can end up out of a job. If someone is made Chief Minister without being elected by the public in the first place then what's the point of having an election!

Stav.

So if we don't like the way our representatives have voted we can let them know, likewise on any decisions they make and we just don't vote them in next time.

However - and I may be wrong here so could someone confirm please - the voting for Chief Minister is a thecret ballet.

Mr Gelling was voted in unaposed to serve as an MHK to Feb 06, he was elevated to the upper house due to personel reasons. The rules of Tynwald only allow for three questions a month to be answered by a CM from the upper house, but this could be over rulled if so wished. Mr Gelling i s an experienced ex CM, and is at this time the only person that could fill the gap.

For those of you that dont know Mr Gellings wife has/is very ill, and for Mr Gelling to allow his name to be put foward to act as the CM shows in my mind that he is putting the Islands people first. Some may say that he not the man for the job due to the Mount Murry affair, this affair is now over. It could be the same for Ned after his affairs are sorted out in the courts. Whatever the Crimanal outcome is would be a different matter.

Archived