New Chief Minister

crumlin

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote=FCMR,Dec 5 2004, 10:25 AM

... Mr Gelling i s an experienced ex CM, and is at this time the only person that could fill the gap.

Absolutely not. DONALD GELLING HAS NOT BEEN DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED BY THE PEOPLE. We might as well have the Governor standing in until the next general election. Come to that, we may as well have somone appointed from Westminster.

... and for Mr Gelling to allow his name to be put foward to act as the CM shows in my mind that he is putting the Islands people first

Or simply couldn't resist taking the CM title back from Corkill?

Some may say that he not the man for the job due to the Mount Murry affair, this affair is now over.

It's not over and it is not forgotten. Ask people who run message boards if it's over.

It could be the same for Ned after his affairs are sorted out in the courts. .

You don't actually believe this do you? Let's forget all about it so kiss and make up? Naive in the extreme.

From http://www.tynwald.org.im/tynwald-of-today.shtml

The Chief Minister is the political head of the Isle of Man Government. The office, in its present form, came into being in December 1986. The Council of Ministers consists of the Chief Minister and nine Ministers and is primarily responsible for the formulation and implementation of Government policy. The Chief Minister is appointed by the Governor on the nomination of Tynwald; Ministers are appointed by the Governor on the nomination of the Chief Minister. The Chief Minister and the Ministers are all members of Tynwald

http://www.tynwald.org.im/tynwald/tynwald-in-douglas.shtml

Some categories of business which are rarely before Tynwald may nevertheless be of particular importance. A good example is a motion for the nomination of the Chief Minister. By statute, a motion nominating a member of Tynwald as Chief Minister must be carried by at least seventeen votes before the nominee may be appointed by the Lieutenant Governor.

Addie did you read Fred's post?

Gelling was elected in the last election and has stepped upstairs since. He won an election at the same time as Corkill, Bell Cretney and the rest.

I wouldn't say this was a bar to him being CM, at least until after the next election.

Addie has made his comments and is allowed to, but I would ask him this, who should fill the post as CM. We have to have one or the Government is finished. By having Mr Gelling fill in will give the Keys more time to think of who could be the CM after thr next elections, lets not forget this is the first time that a CM has lost his job and the Keys did not prepare for it , the same as most things from the Keys LACK OF PREPARATION.

Also I feel that as an acting CM, he should have a clear out of a certain Department, for the failings they have made over recent affairs. And Maybe Mr Bell should be taught a lesson for passing the Buck at Mount Murry, :rolleyes:

True but we didn't vote for Corkill to be CM in the first place, the other MHKs did. It's the same with Don as far as I can see, especially in light of him being a voted in MHK until Feb 06. The only irregularity is that he was made an MLC. With him previously being a (good) Chief Minister he is the obvious choice. With no others standing up he is also the Only choice.

He Was democratically elected Addie, just as much as Corkill was.

The difficulty is with the system. We aren't going to correct this before the next CM is appointed.

Because we don't have a party political system the people don't choose the CM. We have to hope that the people we vote will use their power honestly.

(BTW who is Roger Payne? Just heard him wittering on the wireless about the people on the Isle of Man not careing about democracy but only careing that the people in charge are makeing decisions and that the people don't really care whether the decisions are right, just so long as they are made.)

In theory the voters in the UK don't choose their PM either. They vote for the MP in their constituency, and then whichever party wins they have to hope that that party chooses a decent leader to be PM.

Thatcher won the election in 97, but the tories got rid of her 3 years later and John Major became an "unelected" PM. But he was elected by the tory party, and the tory party was elected by the public.

Addie did you read Fred's post?

Donald Gelling was re-elected as MHK in November 2001.

If he had remained MHK he would have served until 2006.

Fred

Yes. But he didn't.

It's the same with Don as far as I can see, especially in light of him being a voted in MHK until Feb 06 ... He Was democratically elected Addie, just as much as Corkill was.

No he wasn't. Not this time out.

Mr Gelling resigned his elected seat and someone else is now - democratically - sitting in it.

Edited for typo

Its semantics really though. He Was elected by the people once before, he was an elected CM so has experience of the position and Has been voted to a position (MHK) where he could then be voted as CM. so he resigned, so what. My main concern is getting someone, anyone in the CM seat, we need a leader. Is there someone you think would be better suited Addie. Even if there were, unless that person chooses to stand theres not a lot you can do about it, and our Elected representatives will be the ones, as usual, to chose.

Its semantics really though. He Was elected by the people once before

But he's not now!

At the moment I would prefer to see, say, Tony Brown standing.

As an elected MHK and Speaker he is used to 'managing' the MHKs so perhaps has enough respect from them to suit the bill.

It is VERY important that things are done 100 percent correctly. We simply cannot afford another debacle.

As a chap, Donald Gelling always seemed pleasant enough, but that's not the point here.

I don't want to see an anointment, I want to see an election.

If someone's going to slide in from outside the Keys, let the Governor watch the pot! Might save a few bob.

If we get much more wrong, especially with Peter Karran letting loose his bile in the national press, then Westminster may just decide we're too much of an irritation.

Just my view, being female and all that but I find this very impressive regarding votes for women

The Isle of Man became the first country in the world to give women the vote in national elections. In 1881 the right to vote was extended to unmarried women and widows who owned property, and as a result 700 women received the vote, comprising about 10% of the Manx electorate. In England women had to wait until 1918 for the right to vote, and until 1928 for all women to be eligible to vote.

I've got a vote and I rather like to use it.

I can see what your saying. But I think Gelling is the best person for the job right now, even if an election was scheduled it takes time to organise and we would need someone to be acting CM during that time, and better Gelling than Bell.

I dont know what you mean about Westminster, and refuse to factor what another country thinks of us into my thoughts on the subject anyway!

You may be unhappy with

Gelling as CM but our democratically elected representatives are standing behind him and most people seem to think its a good idea, you cant please all of the people all of the time.

I put the correction about Donald Gelling being a serving MHK at time of "Elevation" to Legistalive Council because some previous posts had said otherwise.

I have a certain amount of sympathy to Addies views,in that the general public didn't vote for him to be an MLC,but as has been pointed out very few Chief/Prime Ministers get elected by the people,can the Bishop be elected Chief Minister under the present system?

Fred

Archived