New Chief Minister

crumlin

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peter Karran is simply not up to being chief minister.

It is more than a simple problem of lack of eloquence, or even intelligence, he's totally convinced that the whole of Keys and Tynwald are up to their necks in conspiracy.

Plus, he'll naively and willingly tell any news media about his theories thereby doing more harm than good to the island.

I also distrust the mysterious little band of 'advisors' with whom he seems so in thrall.

I meant to ask you Addie, where did you see these theories in the media, the only person I seen quoted is Brenda Cannell.

I'm sure All MHKs have their advisors.

(did I spot some irony there. Karran sees too many conspiracies, but you don't trust his mysterious band of advisors)

Peter Karran is simply not up to being chief minister.

It is more than a simple problem of lack of eloquence, or even intelligence, he's totally convinced that the whole of Keys and Tynwald are up to their necks in conspiracy.

Plus, he'll naively and willingly tell any news media about his theories thereby doing more harm than good to the island.

I also distrust the mysterious little band of 'advisors' with whom he seems so in thrall.

Really? People I've talked to thought he came across better than either Bell or Cringle on the BBC's Politics Show (NW edition). Karran was asking for more checks & balances to be put in to place, whilst Bell & Cringle thought everything was fine as it is.

As for Mr Gelling being CM what's the odds 'they' rip into him next?

Really? People I've talked to thought he came across better than either Bell or Cringle on the BBC's Politics Show (NW edition). Karran was asking for more checks & balances to be put in to place, whilst Bell & Cringle thought everything was fine as it is.

Bell? Not worthy of consideration anyway. The man should have sttod down a long time ago.

Cringle? I felt that Noel has come across as deeply biased for quite some time. Especially when dealing with Peter Karran. At times it's bordering on the disgraceful. I've seen him treat animals going under the hammer with more respect.

Karran? Yes he may ask difficult and pertinent questions and delves into areas others wouldn't enter in thigh length waders. He may be the most honest politician there ever was, even the only one there ever was. I don't know. What I feel is that Peter, who I know (and have always had a bit of a soft spot for him as a human being) struggles and I applaud him for that, but I still believe that he's not up to the role of, say, chief minister.

The quickest way to shut a dissenting voice up is to say "Go on then, you show us how it should be done". (Re: Brenda Cannel being moved to Planning following her chairing the waterboard while being refused permission to build a new waterworks)

Peter isn't an International Ambassador, and that is what is needed for the position of CM.

I would like him to be taken a hell of a lot more notice of and given a heck of a lot more respect in the Keys. He speaks like a layman for the laymen (ok, ok, and laywomen). He doesn't stand a chance of changing the establishment, and given half a chance, in two years, he would be carrying the burdon of it as others seek to shut him up for once and for all.

It may not sound very ambitious (and less wealth generating) but he best serves the Island while he has the freedom to question Tynwald from the inside... something he wouldn't necessarily be able to do so efficiently with overall responsibility.

he's totally convinced that the whole of Keys and Tynwald are up to their necks in conspiracy.

They are? :)

Without Peter Karran a lot of stupid decisions would be swept under the carpet. He perhaps wouldnt be good for foreign policy because he identifies all the faults, and doesnt talk bull****. However - this 'is' requirement in local government.

Surely, as the old order nears its end Peter Karran's political career is also ending. He has served a purpose in being a thorn in the side of the establishment, but now that is being swept aside he no longer serves a purpose. It wouldn't surprise me if the electorate looked elsewhere at the next election for someone to actually wield power.

Archived