New Chief Minister

crumlin

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quote from Speckled Frost

It would have been good to have seen the candidates lay out their stall.

The yes men are falling into line once again.

It would, would't it.

And they have, haven't they.

I like 'Uncle Don' myself. Being the avuncular chappie that he is.

"The Don" seems apt and he doesn't even need the cotton wool ;-)

This is quite fun.

More than anything I'm disappointed there isn't going to be a fight on for the CM position.

It would have been good to have seen the candidates lay out their stall.

The yes men are falling into line once again.

You are of course correct that way the some of the MHK's *may* have taken soundings from their constituents, and at least been aware if there was a groundswell of support for one person.

From Manx radio "The Island's newest political watchdog says it's 'extremely disappointed' only one candidate was nominated for election to succeed Richard Corkill as Chief Minister.

Tynwald Watch, which was established to scrutinise the activities of Tynwald and the Manx government, is concerned the nomination sends out the message there is no genuine support or belief among the majority of Tynwald members for electoral reform.

Spokesman Andrew Jessopp says the group thought elections involving one candidate were reserved for what he calls 'sham democracies or totalitarian states such as North Korea.'

Mr Jessopp goes onto say the solitary nomination of Donald Gelling is a 'betrayal' of the democratic principle of being offered a choice and feels it's regrettable Mr Gelling hasn't faced a popular vote for 13 years."

I'm now getting really frightened, does this mean that the Island is going to join on to Bush's axis of terror?????

Mr Jessopp goes onto say the solitary nomination of Donald Gelling is a 'betrayal' of the democratic principle of being offered a choice and feels it's regrettable Mr Gelling hasn't faced a popular vote for 13 years."

Sadly it's true.

Mr Gelling is trying to give the impression that he holds some kind of total mandate and also claims he was voted in.

But the fact is, as he was unopposed there was never an election. It could equally be claimed that as he never received a single vote in all that time, he holds no mandate whatsoever.

Not his fault that he's been unopposed all the time, but please don't try to convince everyone that this is a mandate when it's possibly only political apathy in Malew.

Archived