New Chief Minister

crumlin

From Manx radio "The Island's newest political watchdog says it's 'extremely disappointed' only one candidate was nominated for election to succeed Richard Corkill as Chief Minister.

Tynwald Watch, which was established to scrutinise the activities of Tynwald and the Manx government, is concerned the nomination sends out the message there is no genuine support or belief among the majority of Tynwald members for electoral reform.

Spokesman Andrew Jessopp says the group thought elections involving one candidate were reserved for what he calls 'sham democracies or totalitarian states such as North Korea.'

Mr Jessopp goes onto say the solitary nomination of Donald Gelling is a 'betrayal' of the democratic principle of being offered a choice and feels it's regrettable Mr Gelling hasn't faced a popular vote for 13 years."

Anyone know if Tynwald Watch has any members, other then Andrew Jessop?

And who is Jessop anyway? I've heard him humourlessly pontificating on Mannin Line a few times, but he doesn't sound Manx. Where has his avid interest in watching Tynwald come from?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just so that it is in the open, could someone please say whether our Don is, well, you know - on The Square. On the level. Rolls his left trouser leg up, etc.

No offence intended if he isn't or indeed if he is.

I know his relatives are well lodged in, and that is as good as he too.

I just wondered also what numero uno may think about our parallel (and powerful) society here on the Isle of Man.

It would be nice to know.

Archived