Iom Post Chairperson

Tempus Fugit

having been booted out of the Legislative Council, how come P Crowe is still chairperson of IoM Post ?

(she's just been interviewed on MR about post matters and the future of Royal Mail - uk)

the world's gone mad, Mayor of Douglas not elected member, IoM Post chair........ etc

what next ?

having been booted out of the Legislative Council, how come P Crowe is still chairperson of IoM Post ?

(she's just been interviewed on MR about post matters and the future of Royal Mail - uk)

the world's gone mad, Mayor of Douglas not elected member, IoM Post chair........ etc

what next ?

Mrs Craine's idea of getting rid of elected governors of schools to be replaced from a 'panel' of her making to ensure that, what Annie wants Annie gets.

There's a trend here.

She stays in office as chair of post office until Tynwald appoint a replacement as Post Office chair. That will be soon and its standard. You stay in office until removed or replaced. She has not ben removed as PO Chair. I agree it might have been better not to have been interviewed, diplomatically speaking, but then it might be better for people here not to spout off without knowing the position.

That would make life dull however.

what next ?

I hear they are changing the gov.im website to read "The worlds oldest continuous unelected democracy"

Isle of Man Newspapers

In Tynwald today, the Chief Minister whinged that questions regarding Mrs Crowe still being the Chairman of the Post office were unfair as she was not present to answer. (Or words to that effect)

Actually Tony, going by past form, I think Mrs Crowe would prefer not to be present to answer awkward questions.

When the Public Gallery and Manx Radio airwaves were buzzing with Post Office employees to hear her answer questions regarding the Post Office, it were none other than Mrs Crowe that put the kibosh on an extended Tynwald Question time (against the desires of the elected House of Keys) so that she could get out of a bit of a pickle.

From Hansard Tynwald 20h November 2007: page 231

Isle of Man Post Office workers

Restoring trust in Board

7. The Hon. Member for Douglas East (Mrs Cannell) to ask the Chief Minister:

(1) Are you aware of the deep unrest and mistrust of the Isle of Man Post Office workers in the Chairman and Board due to a lack of meaningful consultation between the Board and the Post Office Worker’s Union; and if so

(2) what do you propose to do to restore confidence and trust?

Question 7. became quite eventful particularly when President of Tynwald Noel Cringle decided to move to the next question despite a number of members wanting to ask supplementary questions.

There was another Post Office related question tabled later, but because the Legislative Council over ruled the desires of the House of Keys to extend oral question time, the answer was put in writing thus preventing any supplementary questions in Tynwald. I would respectfully suggest that had Mrs Crowe voted to extend question time in line with the wishes of the House of Keys, and show that she was indeed a stronger woman, then she would be sitting on her cushions in David Callister's seat today.

The question and its (written) answer:

ISLE OF MAN POST OFFICE

Isle of Man Post Office Workers’ Pension Scheme

Consultation on closure to new entrants

26. The Hon. Member for Douglas East (Mrs Cannell) to ask the Chairman of Isle of Man Post Office:

Who did you consult with prior to taking the decision to close the Isle of Man Post Office Workers’ Pension Scheme to new entrants?

Answer: I can confirm that the Board of the Isle of Man Post Office consulted extensively with the professional pension and actuarial advisors to the Post Office prior to notifying the Trustees of the Isle of Man Post Office Superannuation Scheme in June 2006 of the proposal to close the present scheme to new entrants from April 2007.

Leading Oral Questions are used in Tynwald to allow further supplementary questions, in order that members can perhaps get to the core issue. In this case we shall never know what members wanted but certainly going by the passions displayed in the earlier question and the mood in the Public Gallery, there was a lot of displeasure about.

For those interested, the voting to extend Question Time (2/3 majority needed) was as follows:

In the Keys – Ayes 17, Noes 5

FOR

Mr Quirk

Mr Karran

Mr Crookall

Mr Anderson

Mrs Craine

Mr Quayle

Mr Cannan

Mr Cregeen

Mr Houghton

Mr Henderson

Mr Malarkey

Mrs Cannell

Mr Braidwood

Mr Corkish

Mr Shimmin

Mr Cretney

The Speaker

AGAINST

Mr Earnshaw

Mr Brown

Mr Bell

Mr Watterson

Mr Gill

The Speaker: Mr President, the motion carries in the House of Keys: 17 votes for, 5 votes against.

In the Council – Ayes 5, Noes 3

FOR

Mr Crowe

Mr Downie

Mr Lowey

Mr Butt

Mr Turner

AGAINST

Mrs Crowe

Mrs Christian

Mr Waft

The President: In the Council, Hon. Members, there are 5 votes for and 3 against. Therefore, Hon. Members, requiring 6 in the Council, the motion fails to carry, Hon. Members.

This despite the motion be proposed by the Speaker of the House of Keys and a plea from David Cannan

Mr Cannan: I confirm that I believe that it will be strongly in the public interest that these remaining Questions are answered, sir.

All this may be uninteresting for some, but if you are a Post Office worker, you will appreciate that it mattered. A lot.

Whilst I didn't like Mr's Crowes policies, I think it is totally unfair to say she cannot run/or be the Chairperson of the PO.

If she is capable and can do the job to the standards expected, let her do it.

I'm glad she's not an MLC anymore, but why waste the experience she gained whilst there?

Archived