Taxis - Day Of Action

Amadeus

Isn't it a largely semantic point? So what if they didn't set a time limit. They said it would be some time after April 2007. This is some time after April 2007. Bosh. Deal with it or get a new job.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seven years not long enough to get your house in order, oh please.

AND YOURS IS?

If the RTLC had realised that Schedule 2 was an integral part of the Act - and if they had not issued new licences - there is every possibility that the all-island part of the deal would have been completed last year.

As for the delimitation - that was never agreed by any of the representatives of the trade when the Act was being prepared, although it suits the powers that be to claim that it was.

the only change to the RTLC has been the retirement of it's previous chairman (a butcher by trade) I honestly have no idea what you're drivelling about

RECENT change. This has been under discussion for years, during which time the licensing committee in its previous incarnation (involving Douglas & Onchan) was deeply involved in the discussions.

Face it - 227 people are ply for hire drivers at the moment. Another 36 applicants waiting to hear. 72 private hire cars, with another 9 applications. Hardly Hackney armageddon.

And as for the argument "politicians know nothing about the taxi industry", well, that's apart from the ones who drove taxis? There's at least one I can think of off the top of my head, and another recent one who's not in Keys any more. And if that *was* a valid argument then we wouldn't have many industries at all. Not many MHKs have been in the film industry, or biotech or precision optics.

Fact is, we vote for them, they carry out policy. Public opinion is firmly against the taxi trade, which is attempting a level of protectionism not afforded to other sectors. Like any other industry, if your company can't make money, it goes out of business. If there's a demand for a product, somebody will produce it and profit by it.

As for the delimitation - that was never agreed by any of the representatives of the trade when the Act was being prepared

Turkeys rarely vote for Christmas too. The crux of this matter is that taxi drivers are afforded a level of protectionism that other industries are not

Deal with it or get a new job.

Actually, I will certainly have to do that if this measure goes through - not something to look forward to as you approach 60. But then again, most of the decent drivers will be in the same position as the trade is left in the hands of the fly-by-nights and those who are entirely profit driven and have no interest in providing a service.

Dr Gonzo Posted Today, 02:27 PM

RECENT change. This has been under discussion for years, during which time the licensing committee in its previous incarnation (involving Douglas & Onchan) was deeply involved in the discussions.

And that's about the last time (pre-2000) that any discussions took place. Perhaps you haven't noticed, but the fact is that things have changed a bit since then.

Dr Gonzo Posted Today, 02:27 PM

Face it - 227 people are ply for hire drivers at the moment. Another 36 applicants waiting to hear. 72 private hire cars, with another 9 applications. Hardly Hackney armageddon.

You're not really very good with facts, are you? There are actually more than 600 ply for hire drivers at the moment! And the figure (depending on which source you consult) is either 56 or 59 applicants currently waiting to be heard.

There are actually more than 600 ply for hire drivers at the moment

on 227 ply for hire licences - are you misinterpreting on purpose?

I was responding to a post that claimed there were 227 drivers and pointing out that there were actually 600 drivers. Is that too difficult for you to understand LittleDickBigDave?

Potentially every single one of them - whether they already hold licences or not - will be able to obtain as many nice new shiny and free licences as they wish to have.

I was responding to a post that claimed there were 227 drivers and pointing out that there were actually 600 drivers. Is that too difficult for you to understand LittleDickBigDave?

I haven't resorted to insults so please refrain from the name calling, it isn't necessary.

I'm merely pointing out that there are currently only 227 licences and that you, rather than point out that number relates to licences and not drivers chose to come back with some smart arse comment.

I haven't resorted to insults so please refrain from the name calling, it isn't necessary.

I'm merely pointing out that there are currently only 227 licences and that you, rather than point out that number relates to licences and not drivers chose to come back with some smart arse comment.

ONLY 227????

Are you aware that most of the places which have chosen delimitation have done so in the expectation that the numbers of cabs would rise to meet the recommended standard of 1.1 per thousand population?

That is the level at which it is possible to have an efficient service of decent quality.

At that rate, there ought to be less than 90 taxis on the island!

Okay...I'll apologise for the 'namecalling' (even though I did use the strikethrough! :P ), but please understand that I am genuinely concerned at the prospect of seeing the local taxi service - which I believe is an excellent one and which I have always been proud to be a part of - going to hell in a basket because one politician will not allow others to vote as their consciences dictate.

but please understand that I am genuinely concerned at the prospect of seeing the local taxi service - which I believe is an excellent one and which I have always been proud to be a part of - going to hell in a basket because one politician will not allow others to vote as their consciences dictate.

I think you are just going to have to let it happen, stiff upper lip and all that, it's been on the cards for ages even delayed a year and from what I hear things can not get much worse anyway. The gov has ignored the survey and going to go through with it. I think a lot of comments abouts taxis drivers have been unfair, yeah there a few bad eggs I know that but people on this forum have tared them all with the same brush.

but please understand that I am genuinely concerned at the prospect of seeing the local taxi service - which I believe is an excellent one and which I have always been proud to be a part of - going to hell in a basket because one politician will not allow others to vote as their consciences dictate.

I think you are just going to have to let it happen, stiff upper lip and all that, it's been on the cards for ages even delayed a year and from what I hear things can not get much worse anyway. The gov has ignored the survey and going to go through with it. I think a lot of comments abouts taxis drivers have been unfair, yeah there a few bad eggs I know that but people on this forum have tared them all with the same brush.

That pretty much sums it up.

But then again, most of the decent drivers will be in the same position as the trade is left in the hands of the fly-by-nights and those who are entirely profit driven and have no interest in providing a service.

so how would these fly-by-nighters ruin the services

what would thay do diffrent than you,

Archived