Taxis - Day Of Action

Amadeus

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do taxi drivers really deserve such a bad reputation and reaction or are many views and comments maybe more based on following the old stereotype of the speeding, non-indicating grumpy old man that seems to have burned itself into many a brain and appears to be followed a little too easily at times? I'm sure most cabbies are simply trying to protect their livelihoods with this and are genuinely concerned about their future - something surely members of any profession should have a right to do?

Personally, I see taxis as a covenient way of transportation that simply comes at a price - a price that inevitably is higher than taking the bus or walking. Looking at the ever rising fuel prices, the fact that insurance for a cab can't be cheap (probably 3 or 4 times what you'd pay for a normal car, if not more with public liability and all that thrown in), and taking into account that apart from friday and saturday night there can't be that much business for over 100 cabs in Douglas alone at the moment, I'd say it doesn't look like a dream job to me - although I'd probably like the "driving around all day" bit.

I know there's probably people that did and do profiteer from all that plate business, just like there are black sheep in any business sector, but most of the times that I used a cab it got me where I wanted to go quickly and safely without hassle - couldn't say the same about quite a few trips over on that other island. A cabby in Manchester once handed me the A to Z and told me to find the street and give him directions - then still wanted full price when we finally got there. Another problem the island does not have is the one of unlicensed minicabs - your journey home here is in a licensed car that is checked on a regular basis, with a driver that has insurance and is answerable to a governing body. I doubt the close knit community would allow for anything else - small consolation maybe, but it's something.

I agree that the industrial action maybe could have been organised a little more carefully, with the aim of getting public sympathy on their side (that half price day idea + leaflets'n things further up sounded quite good) instead of probably causing the opposite effect now, but it doesn't change the fact that it's rather odd to see the same people that are usually displaying little trust in our government's abilities to manage anything suddenly change sides and say "Oh, it's only taxis - let the government do.."

Just my two penneth worth - now

Ready

Aim

Please shoot at me now...

Aim

Seems like you are being selective when you talk about a "nanny state". Over regulation of the licensed taxi trade (in almost all jurisdictions) is an example of those who are already established in an area of business using their political and economic influence to control supply. That said - the taxi trade is like that in almost every country of the world. And where it isn't done via politics they have other methods.

You also confuse the argument when you talk about the problems of unlicensed and unsafe cabs in other places - since these are not issues which would be affected, either way, by the proposed changes to the legislation. Left to the market - the market would determine how many cabs were viable, when and at what price. It makes absolute sense that the island should be a single area with respect to licenses and that licenses should be available to anyone who qualifies. Your "nanny state" need not be involved.

it's rather odd to see the same people that are usually displaying little trust in our government's abilities to manage anything suddenly change sides and say "Oh, it's only taxis - let the government do..

That doesn't seem to make sense. The govt are involved either way. The proposed changes seem to be about decreasing the extent to which legislation restricts trade.

If were we all write to our MHK's and say "cheaper fares now" - and the Government halves the fares, imagine the bleating from the taxi drivers then.

No bleating because there would be no taxi drivers.

10 hour shift yesterday, Saturday, £39:50 takings.

So far today, 3 hours in, 7:50.

Such a well paid occupation.

If were we all write to our MHK's and say "cheaper fares now" - and the Government halves the fares, imagine the bleating from the taxi drivers then.

No bleating because there would be no taxi drivers.

10 hour shift yesterday, Saturday, £39:50 takings.

So far today, 3 hours in, 7:50.

Such a well paid occupation.

well looks like there be one less taxi soon then if that all your makeing,

i knew some smart bloke would come on and say something along those lines. If I wanted to make a fortune maybe I'd buy a tonka toy.

Some perspective is all that's needed. Taxi drivers don't make a fortune, we have slow days but only the busy days are used as examples of our earning potential.

Basically taxiing is a cottage industry, we work when we are needed and not when we want to. Today I am 'on duty' but am typing this because I have no work at the moment so will soon prepare dinner for this evening. I don't need to do it but many do, it is their only income source and, as such, they deserve to be better treated than they are. If there were a threat to the money printing industry I would imagine there would be uproar on this forum and elsewhere. If government said that, no matter who you bank with, you could go into any bank and withdraw their money the roof would come off. This is what you are saying to taxi drivers and their families. Any increase in the amount of plates being operated would dilute the market and cause untold grief and financial hardship for a lot of families. How many of you would work for 12 hrs straight, without a break, to make £300? After taking out costs it equates to less than £10 an hour, some days much less than that.

I'll stop there because my third job of the day has just called and I'll put my lunch in the microwave later.

Do taxi drivers really deserve such a bad reputation and reaction or are many views and comments maybe more based on following the old stereotype of the speeding, non-indicating grumpy old man that seems to have burned itself into many a brain and appears to be followed a little too easily at times? I'm sure most cabbies are simply trying to protect their livelihoods with this and are genuinely concerned about their future - something surely members of any profession should have a right to do?

I can only go from experience Amadeus and I have to say I only use one particular cab firm because, almost without exception, I have found ,ost others scruffy, rude, ignorant, and not worth the effort. In any other industry where you apply minimum effort, offer no standards of customer service, and are indifferent to the end user of your product you'd fail. Not it seems if you drive a taxi on the IOM. Most of them are ignorant feckers and actually seem quite pleased to act like ignorant feckers.

The answer then is to treat them decently and they will respond.

Most people are nice deep down and don't want to be seen as nasty and horrible. After 8 hrs in the driving seat you see all kinds of shit. The trick is not to take that home with you.

I think the limitation of plates is a good thing, only if all the plates are used. Unfortunately there are plates out there that are 'stockpiled' and so not on the street, lending the situation to the same as if plates were even more limited. I would like to see this situation reversed and the use of plates monitored, as it is supposed to be. This present problem is the making of the hungry for money brigade that think they can keep plates off the ranks and feather their own nests by this exploitation of the public and government.

Taxi plates of the island untie, you have nothing to lose but your change. (apols to Mr Engles)

This present problem is the making of the hungry for money brigade that think they can keep plates off the ranks and feather their own nests by this exploitation of the public and government.

Your going to last long as a taxi driver - that probably counts as the equivalent of insulting your boss on these forums and expecting to stay in a job (oh, you did that as well didn't you!). Only joking ;)

I always treat people decently, I know its a tough job but many of them could help themselves and give the the industry some good PR.

As a self employed person I don't actually have a boss, so no chance of pissing off any nasty little racist, misogynistic, corrupt, fascistic turds who'se only thought to life is how to make money and sod the 'little people'. (I don't know anyone like that though.)

If my driving is at default level, I will fail. If my demeanor falls below the accepted standard, I will fail. Surely I can't ask for more than that?

As for the exploiters, I do seriously hope they get theirs soon. I find it totally unacceptable that people like me and mine are held back to satisfy the greed of speculators. Questions will be asked and answers sought.

i knew some smart bloke would come on and say something along those lines. If I wanted to make a fortune maybe I'd buy a tonka toy.

all i was saying if u makeing only that a day then u aint going to be working for long,

u dont have to be smart to work that out do you

Some perspective is all that's needed. Taxi drivers don't make a fortune, we have slow days but only the busy days are used as examples of our earning potential.

How many of you would work for 12 hrs straight, without a break, to make £300? After taking out costs it equates to less than £10 an hour, some days much less than that.

works out about £25 an hour,

im takeing it your takeing the cost of the fuel and running costs, replacment cars, repairs

and it leaves u with a profit of some where round the £10ph mark, which to be honest aint a small fortune, but it aint bottem of the list,

yes u do a lot of hours and i know sometimes ppl are a right pain,

but your still doing it, so it cant be all that bad, or u woulden be still doing it

i think there should be more taxis allowed, but still regulatered ones, not a free for all, but certin things u have to meet b4 you are issued with one, and checks every so often

every other sector of work is not limited to so many, so why should taxis be,

its a cruel world in business, but thats how its allways been

£10 on a good day.

Glad you took the time to do the sums, many people don't and make assumptions. Look at how (white) Diesel prices have risen 10p p/l in the past 2 weeks.

I am not complaining, just trying to highlight the facts that most seem all too happy to overlook.

Archived