Taxis - Day Of Action

Amadeus

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Worst thing is, they probably got the idea for the slow drive from this thread.

It was a close thing between this and petitioning the government like civil people, but then they realised they had to get out of their seats for that.

Once again, please don't let any facts get in the way of opinions.

Fact: According to a QC of many years experience (who has also been an Acting Deemster on the island), if Anderson proceeds with the proposed motion, he will not only be acting unconstitutionally, but will be misleading Tynwald. He has received notification of that but, because this bloody awful government seems to believe itself above the law, he will probably ignore it.

Nice to see Paul H making a comeback to the Forum - even if he hasn't learned very much during his absence. (Other than how to fill in a planning application form, perhaps?)

Better brief your QC on these potential charges too, chief.

Impeding traffic, public nuisance, surely there's a few potential criminal charges to be had?

Worst thing is, they probably got the idea for the slow drive from this thread.

It was a close thing between this and petitioning the government like civil people, but then they realised they had to get out of their seats for that.

Once again, please don't let any facts get in the way of opinions.

Fact: According to a QC of many years experience (who has also been an Acting Deemster on the island), if Anderson proceeds with the proposed motion, he will not only be acting unconstitutionally, but will be misleading Tynwald. He has received notification of that but, because this bloody awful government seems to believe itself above the law, he will probably ignore it.

Nice to see Paul H making a comeback to the Forum - even if he hasn't learned very much during his absence. (Other than how to fill in a planning application form, perhaps?)

That's rich coming from you lot! :lol:

Better brief your QC on these potential charges too, chief.

Impeding traffic, public nuisance, surely there's a few potential criminal charges to be had?

None whatsoever. As long as they kept moving they were not committing any offence and, as the police were forewarned of their intentions...... :)

None whatsoever. As long as they kept moving they were not committing any offence and, as the police were forewarned of their intentions...... :)

You MUST NOT

* drive without due care and attention

* drive without reasonable consideration for other road users

I think that part of the Highway Code just about covers it.

Face it. Taxi drivers have really fucked this up. They've turned public opinion completely against them and destroyed any sympathy we may have had for their issues. Bravo chaps, bravo.

It would be good if there was a list of the firms that are opposing this reform and those that are supporting it.

There are very few 'firms' that actually own many taxis. Bunty's in the south of the island, Crenell's and Island Taxis (Paul H's outfit) in the North West.

The vast majority are owned by individuals - and most of them own a single cab which is their sole source of income.

Most of the owners - from the other regions as well as Douglas/East District - do not wish to see Mr Brown'sAnderson's reforms enacted without, at the very least, consultations with those who are major stakeholders in the industry.

When the farmers were troubled by potential changes, Phil Gawne is on record as having attended more than 30 public meetings as well as dozens of others (the problems still haven't been sorted!)

The minister of transport reluctantly agreed to one - brief - presentation about the possible consequences of Mr Brown's his 'reforms,' then went ahead with them almost as if he was under instruction from some higher authority!

You MUST NOT

* drive without due care and attention

* drive without reasonable consideration for other road users

I think that part of the Highway Code just about covers it.

Face it. Taxi drivers have really fucked this up. They've turned public opinion completely against them and destroyed any sympathy we may have had for their issues. Bravo chaps, bravo.

Knowledgeable public opinion is still very much with us - I'm not in a position to comment on the rest.

It would be good if there was a list of the firms that are opposing this reform and those that are supporting it.

The Manx Taxi Federation won't even tell you how many members they have let alone who they are!

For the record I am in favour of long over due reforms in the taxi industry and it's high time we got rid of some of the dead wood that is hell bent on keeping things the same. The public deserve better and those taxi companies who are prepared to meet the challenge should be enabled to do so.

I know this won't make me popular among other taxi drivers but hell, they're not the ones I depend on for making a living, and it's probably just as well!

No, go on, finish your sentence please!

I'm sure you've been advised legally, so can you elaborate on your 'we're allowed to commit a public nuisance if we tell the police you're going to do it in advance' strategy. Sounds great.

The Manx Taxi Federation won't even tell you how many members they have let alone who they are!

For the record I am in favour of long over due reforms in the taxi industry and it's high time we got rid of some of the dead wood that is hell bent on keeping things the same. The public deserve better and those taxi companies who are prepared to meet the challenge should be enabled to do so.

I know this won't make me popular among other taxi drivers but hell, they're not the ones I depend on for making a living, and it's probably just as well!

1. The MTF have supplied this information to the RTLC - the only official body that has any right to it. At the last public meeting, a further 30-40 - in addition to the existing membership - joined.

2. I realise that you've prepared for the 50/60 extra cabs that could become available in July since, having expanded your business by the addition of a couple of free plates, you've now slimmed it down by discarding two.

3. As for being popular, please don't worry. It's not that you're paranoid - everyone really does hate you! :D

Knowledgeable public opinion is still very much with us - I'm not in a position to comment on the rest.

Right, but this forum as a snapshot straw poll seems to unanimously disagree with you.

Personally, I will try to avoid taxis unless absolutely necessary in future. Not that I used them much anyway. I will insist on the exact change and I will quite possibly attempt to break wind violently on exit from the vehicle.

You lose.

and I will quite possibly attempt to break wind violently on exit from the vehicle.

You lose.

Which I might construe as 'fouling the cab' causing me to leave the rank for a period of more than 20 minutes.

£50 fine! :P

Yeah, good luck with that.

Seriously though, you can't see how this kind of action is damaging the opinion your customer base has of you? I know taxi drivers aren't known for their deep thinking (that's why they're taxi drivers after all) but has this really not crossed your mind?

Archived