[BBC News] Island can now train own teachers

Newsbot

Erm....How is this so? 2 or 3 years ago a family member decided to join the teaching fraternity, but then sacked the idea due to pathetic wages (and I mean pathetic) and the lack of children who want to learn vs children who are sent to school. He was told he could do his training on the Isle Of Man then. Soooooo, is this a new type of teacher? or just more rubbish from the Board Of Mal Education. The BoME providing teachers, parents and students with bad administration while blowing the whole education budget on flat screen TVs (in place of notice boards, lets see which lasts longest eh?) and homework diaries a Sloan Ranger would be envious of (show me a 12-16 year old who gets full use of these fancy books and I will 'so' eat my mortar board)

Why, no Mister Declan, sir. I was a little bit 'on one' I shall admit. Sorry if I caused you any undue stress. You know I packed in smoking too and I am loving it, "Oh nooooes, I don't smoke tobacco anymore, I have stopped with my nicotine addiction." I have put on a little weight (the pink trousers are a no no now) but my skin (which is dreadful) is much brighter, my teeth are whiter and I am mostly glad not to smoke anymore. I do keep trying to help my smoker friends off the evil weed but you have to do it when you want to - giving up smoking is quite a serious thing to do. No Champix no patches just no more cigarettes, except for the one I stole off my friend in Laxey, but that was just a little test, to see how un-addicted I was, risky, life on the edge..right...

Erm....How is this so? 2 or 3 years ago a family member decided to join the teaching fraternity, but then sacked the idea due to pathetic wages (and I mean pathetic) and the lack of children who want to learn vs children who are sent to school. He was told he could do his training on the Isle Of Man then. Soooooo, is this a new type of teacher? or just more rubbish from the Board Of Mal Education. The BoME providing teachers, parents and students with bad administration while blowing the whole education budget on flat screen TVs (in place of notice boards, lets see which lasts longest eh?) and homework diaries a Sloan Ranger would be envious of (show me a 12-16 year old who gets full use of these fancy books and I will 'so' eat my mortar board)

I've three kids in schools, and I think the quality of teaching is superb on the Island, we're very lucky.

Students will be able to train on the Isle of Man to be become fully qualified teachers for the first time.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/englan...ide/7405336.stm

This is a backward step.

One of the purposes of doing a teacher training course is to meet other people from a variety of backgrounds etc

How can you train teachers to deal with a modern multi-culural world if they are not even prepared to go to England for training?

In fact I think every teacher should travel round the world and see a bit of life before going from school and university back into school.

We'll be having 'pupil teachers' next -teaching in their local school and still living at home with mum and dad.

Slim, dear, I did not say anything bad about the teachers, I was moaning about the board of Education because I think they waste money on stupid things and make teachers write silly reports & things, putting them under pressure when they do a really great and honorable job. OK? :P

Slim, dear, I did not say anything bad about the teachers, I was moaning about the board of Education because I think they waste money on stupid things and make teachers write silly reports & things, putting them under pressure when they do a really great and honorable job. OK? :P

But as I understand it, it's those teachers who make most of the spending decisions in schools on teaching equipment, not the Board of Ed. For example, Balla is all whiteboards and PC's at the staff discretion, St Nins is all Macs and blackboards. Doesn't sound like the Board of Ed's stuck it's nose in there, does it?

as I understand it, it's those teachers who make most of the spending decisions in schools on teaching equipment, not the Board of Ed.

However, it's not the teaching staff who've made the decisions, but the administrative staff from deputy head upwards, and quite often those decisions are actually contrary to the teacher's needs or wishes.

Going back a bit over ten years ago I can remember things like having to share textbooks in certain lessons, and broken windows in class rooms going unfixed in favour of the budget being spent on splendid equipment for the drama department, and more shiny new apple macs than you could shake a stick at. More recently I know of one school in the UK that doled out money on an amazing electronic networked register that didn't actually work and laptops for teachers who didn't actually want them (apart from the fact that they then had to find the time to learn how to use them, a power point demonstration is where information goes to die) whilst students and teachers alike had to make do with a certain scarcity of basic resources. The point is that yes the schools are resposible for their own spending, but departments of education often apply pressure to spend it in a certain, usually highly visible way (ICT being a prime example), which heads then do in the most obvious fashion they can, despite it not always being in the best interests of the school.

However, it's not the teaching staff who've made the decisions, but the administrative staff from deputy head upwards, and quite often those decisions are actually contrary to the teacher's needs or wishes.

Sure, but still not the dept of ed.

The point is that yes the schools are resposible for their own spending, but departments of education often apply pressure to spend it in a certain, usually highly visible way (ICT being a prime example), which heads then do in the most obvious fashion they can, despite it not always being in the best interests of the school.

Might be worth a peek around modern manx schools. I know I had some preconceptions from my days there, but they really don't seem to be suffering a lack of budget these days.

Sure, but still not the dept of ed.

No, but nor is it the teachers themselves. Of course, spending can't be handed over to teachers directly, but the present arrangement isn't ideal, and the trends and thinking of the dept of ed surely influence the spending of heads.

Might be worth a peek around modern manx schools. I know I had some preconceptions from my days there, but they really don't seem to be suffering a lack of budget these days.

It'd be interesting, that's for sure, and I hope it is better and not just a case of visible spending disguising a lack of spending in less visible (to the parents at least), yet just as if not more important areas (not that I'm suggesting that it is! But I'm forever suspicious after, years back, one school managed to get rid of their only decent art teacher and replaced him with someone straight out of teaching college because it was cheaper).

Archived