[BBC News] Ministers aim to return air link

Newsbot

For any one with a business appointment in the City of indeed for anyone wanting to be anywhere in the west end it is so much easier, quicker and cheaper than Gatwick or Heathrow. It has brilliant European connections as well.

Time off plane collect bags and out of terminal is less than Ronaldsway. You are on DLR in 10 minutes and in the City in 20, Docklands in 10. Tube fare £3.50

A taxi to Charing Cross would be £25

Compare that with Heathrow, 40 minutes to get out or onto the tube or express (to Paddington!), minimum and an hour by tube or express and tube to Charing Cross and £60 by taxi or 30 minutes to get out of Gatwick and an hour with one change by train and tube to Charing Cross and about £120 in taxi fares

I got messed up m by Euromanx and instead of City had to go to Gatwick, never again if I can help it. I was going to a conference with Counsel and clients. Instead of down early am and back late pm I had to go down day before. I had heavy luggage, lots of files. The train and tube experience would have been a night mare. Flybe charged extra for the over weight luggage and I paid for it as their offered alternative was no good

Cost via City

Ticket £180 plus £50 taxi Total £230

Cost via Gatwick

Ticket £380 luggage £20 plus taxi £250 plus Hotel £100 plus taxi to office in morning £10 plus evening meal £10 (cheap Indian in Brick Lane. Total £770 and away from home 16 hours more.

£400 return to Gatwick John? That is expensive and I think it may be a sign of things to come. No doubt someone will say that charging less than half the FlyBe fare caused the collapse of EM but its more complicated than that.

I agree that (since the DLR extension to the airport) City is much better than the other two unless you are going somewhere exotic. It used to be a right pain when you had to get the bus or taxi to Canning Town.

There was a section of Brown's statement that caught my eye...

'...and asking the DOT/Treasury to discuss with London City’s Airport Chief Executive the position with regard to the runway slots at London City used by EuroManx to ascertain securing them for the Island.'

It would be extremely interesting to know what the outcome of that discussion was; I have heard it rumoured that the Govt has title to those slots! A question in the House, perhaps.

Bell is delusional if he thinks other airlines will appear to compete with Flybe on the Manchester and Liverpool routes (MR). Flybe has shown that it has the muscle to 'see off' any competition (viz Euromanx) and I am sure that, by dumping zero cost basic fares, it will deal with any newcomers in a similar manner. I fear that the era of competitive air fares for Islanders on major routes has gone and it is difficult to see how or when they are likely to return.

£400 return to Gatwick John? That is expensive and I think it may be a sign of things to come. No doubt someone will say that charging less than half the FlyBe fare caused the collapse of EM but its more complicated than that.

I agree that (since the DLR extension to the airport) City is much better than the other two unless you are going somewhere exotic. It used to be a right pain when you had to get the bus or taxi to Canning Town.

Sorry £377.97

Payment

Total amount: £377.97 inclusive of tax and charges. If payment is denied using this card, flybe will ask for another form of payment and reserves the right to refuse boarding in the event of non-payment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tickets

Outbound: Economy / Return: Flybe Economy Plus

You will be travelling on an e-ticket (electronic ticket). At your departure airport, please proceed directly to the check-in desk, where after quoting your unique booking reference and on production of the necessary identification, you will receive your boarding pass(es) for your flight(s).

"Ticket £380 luggage £20 plus taxi £250 plus Hotel £100 plus taxi to office in morning £10 plus evening meal £10 (cheap Indian in Brick Lane. Total £770 and away from home 16 hours more."

Cheap Indian in Brick Lane? you are a wag John.

At least you have the necessary to charge to your client, if someone is going on their own account it is bloody expensive.

What's happened to the day of e-conferences where no-one needs to travel at this expense?

Flybe has shown that it has the muscle to 'see off' any competition (viz Euromanx) and I am sure that, by dumping zero cost basic fares, it will deal with any newcomers in a similar manner. I fear that the era of competitive air fares for Islanders on major routes has gone and it is difficult to see how or when they are likely to return.

You seem to be slightly contradicting yourself. On the one hand you are saying that competition killed Euromanx - on the other you seem to be bemoaning the end of competitive pricing.

Competitive pricing is what happens in a price war. The thing about wars is that, in the end, somebody always wins. The point is though - sooner or later someone else will come along and challenge Flybe. Although I doubt we will see prices which are actually much lower - given the continuing advance in oil prices.

Some people have said that bus - stop type services will be the future for short - hop air services. I can see the sense in that. Rail investment and fuel prices will ultimately kill off much of the UK regional domestic industry. I've no idea how that will affect island services - we'll probably have to fly to London via Shetland and Jersey :)

No contradiction. Yes, competition lead to Euromanx's demise and, now in the absence of a semi-serious player on the Island, yes, we have the absence of competition. It is clear that Flybe is powerful enough ie has the fianancial resources to operate routes at a loss for as long as it takes, that the chances of any airline competing with Flybe on its Isle of Man routes in the forseeable future is negligible. I can't think of any of the few remaining regional airlines in the UK who could take them on - and win!

Archived