I Need Help With Choosing The Right Camera

The Thriller

Hi, im wanting to get a decent camera but im not sure what to get.

I have a choice from the following:

Olympus "SP560" 8m pixel digital camera £399

Canon "powershot A650" 12.1m pixel digital camera £369

Fuji "finepix S8000" 8.3m pixel digital camera £229.00

Sony "DSCH3B-CEH" 8.1m pixel digital camera £212.00

or

Fuji "S9600" Finepix 9m pixel digital fixed lens SLR-shape camera £399.00

Olympus "E410" 10m pixel digital SLR camera £415.00

If anyone could give me any advice on buying any of these camera's then that would be great, if there all pants then plz let me know.

Thanks

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All those prices seem way out? I'd suggest searching on the internet and double-checking, they all look like older models.

As for which one, it's entirely down to your requirements. Something like a Canon Powershot G9 (approx. £280) is a cracking camera capable of taking fantastic photos, but may be a bit too chunky for the average pocket, for instance. What exactly are you looking for?

Completely depends on what you want them for - just holiday snaps? Anything more ambitious? Carry around all the time or only take out when you're planning something?

A dslr would obviously give you more flexibility with lenses, while the fixed lens ones are probably easier to carry around but may leave you wishing for more in the future.

Ok thanks, Im going away for a few weeks in August to a special event so I wanna take some really good quality photo's and I also wanna take some good photos of the country while im there. I also work early mornings and I get to see some unusual sky's, sunsets etc and I think if i had a better camera then i could take a decent picture, at the moment im usng a cheap cybershot thingy worth about £50.

Thanks

Oh and I dont mind carrying a camera around with me cus I wear a backpack at work

More details? 'Special Event' doesn't mean much. If you're wanting to take photos of motorbikes or similar fast things, for instance, an SLR with a decent zoom will serve you much better than a small pocket camera, but the trade-off is that it's big and bulky. A small pocket camera, on the other hand, can go anywhere with you and will take pictures you wouldn't get with an SLR because of this.

For around £300, I'd get a Canon G9 + bits (mem card, case, etc.) as a compromise between a pocket camera and an SLR. I'd recommend going into a camera shop and talking to the staff, though, they're usually knowledgeable & helpful, and may price-match.

I've never used any of the ones you've listed, so can't tell how well they perform but I guess it comes down to personal taste and maybe price then.. I know the Canon powershot seems to have a good reputation.

My everyday runaround box is one of these - cheap'n cheerful, although probably not enough for what you're looking for.

how about one of these Sony A200 10.1mp dslr 18-70zoom lens, - interchangeable with all the minolta AF lenses (Sony took over Konica Minolta), image stabilizer, auto ccd cleaner, eye-start autofocus, image optimiser, auto popup flash etc.

incl 4gb CF, £309.99+£20.99 post

Ok thanks for all yor help, im just gonna spend a few weeks checking out a few of these camera's and maybe pop into one of the shops in town.

Thanks

You're going to spend a few weeks checking out these cameras? christ, they will all be out of date by then!

Hi, im wanting to get a decent camera but im not sure what to get.

I have a choice from the following:

Olympus "SP560" 8m pixel digital camera £399

Canon "powershot A650" 12.1m pixel digital camera £369

Fuji "finepix S8000" 8.3m pixel digital camera £229.00

Sony "DSCH3B-CEH" 8.1m pixel digital camera £212.00

or

Fuji "S9600" Finepix 9m pixel digital fixed lens SLR-shape camera £399.00

Olympus "E410" 10m pixel digital SLR camera £415.00

If anyone could give me any advice on buying any of these camera's then that would be great, if there all pants then plz let me know.

Thanks

I have a Fugi S9600 and it cost £249 over a year ago from Dixons so check ypur prices!!!

You can't go wrong with the Canon G9. I took these with one and the quality is better than a 400D I had(I actually got rid of the 400D SLR for this reason)

You can get then for £270 on Amazon

post-503-1211111103_thumb.jpg

post-503-1211111216_thumb.jpg

All the images hereCANON G9 IMAGES were taken on a G9

You can get then for £270 on Amazon

Thanks for the reminder there, Tango, my prices were accidentally £100 out on the G9 (Dunno why, just been researching it, trying to convince myself that I need one :))

Archived