Flybe Baggage Policies Are Unfair

veuve

We need to exert some pressure on FlyBe to be more reasonable with their Baggage charges.

When they first came to the Island they allowed a fairly generous 25 kgs and charged about £3 per bag. As long as the bag was under 32kg they let it go on without further charge although may have said next time remember under 25kgs. Hand luggage was flexible.

We are now down to 20kgs and £7 per bag booked online or much more at the airport and a hand luggage allowance of one piece (size smaller than major carriers) and max weight 10kgs. By paying about 3 times the price of an economy ticket they will allow one case of max 32 kg free of charge. They are now rigorously enforcing excess charges at a rate of £7 per kilo.

We cannot drive off the Island and therefore most of us rely on air links when going off Island on business or Vacation. A Business trip especially an International one often involves weighty files as well as general wardrobe, often involves two destinations or more that require warm weather clothes in one and cold weather clothes in another. Many Isle of Man residents or at least the lucky ones enjoy long vacations and cruises and 20kg limit just does not work.

I have noticed in America some airlines are now starting to charge for a second bag but at a flat rate of $15 or $25 which is fair enough. A second bag with Flybe weighing 20 kg would cost £140 each way. It is even more ridiculous when you could buy a second seat say to Manchester for £40 and in theory use it just for the luggage allowance but FlyMaybe will not allow that.

They have previously told people that if there is an International connection within 24 hours of a Flybe flight they will honour the baggage rules of the other carrier but the ground crew/check in people say only if on the same ticket. With most of us buying tickets online it is not possible to get everything on the same ticket. I guess a travel agent may be able to do it but I suppose at much higher cost. Does anyone know of a travel agent that can combine a Flybe flight with for instance a Singapore airlines one and what the extra cost would be vs booking flights separately on line? there is a case for the Office of Fair Trading or the Government to intervene.

The Island will only suffer if this goes on. Already many international clients express great surprise that we no longer have a jet on our London route and at the size of the stowage space on the Dash 400. If they knew about the accident history and that SAS withdrew every aircraft (about 30) from their fleet and replaced them with a different make after a series of accidents last year many companies would not allow their staff to fly in them. It also worries me where the 30 SAS aircraft might finish up (sold off cheap to FlyBe ?).

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of what you would expect when the only serious airline operating is a budget outfit. Despite the protestations and aspirations of politicians that they hope the likes of Flybe will fill the gap left by Euromanx, I fear the only contender will be Flybe with their pricing by stealth tariffs.

The IOM needs good quality communication links to remain competitive not just in client/customer relations but also to ensure we remain competitive in attracting the right sort of people here to live. Not looking very likely is it?

The IOM needs good quality communication links to remain competitive not just in client/customer relations but also to ensure we remain competitive in attracting the right sort of people here to live. Not looking very likely is it?

Travelling to the Island from the continent is a nightmare - were it not for my mother living near Ramsey I just would not bother. Add on the user-hostile airport at Manchester and OMG! I think I'll try London City with VLM in Septmeber.

And when you get to the Island - mediocre 1970's quality in general, Ramsey the town no-one cares about.

Yet another fear of mine of being forced to use Flybe.

We went to the states last year and we had a 40kg allowance each on the Manchester/America route. So I rang Euromanx who said it wasn't a problem if our luggage weighed more, as they have no facility to charge, but it would be at their discretion. I.e. if the rest of the flight had over weight bags then ours would have to come on a later flight or something.

Arrived in manchester, our 3 cases weighing 60kg for 2 people were checked in, and not even an eyelid battered.

However... the way I got around a Flybe charges is to leave a bag on the carousel at the airport, check in and get home within your allowance then phone the airport advise them that you forgot a bag, and they ship it to the island on the next flight (free of charge). Worked example: We flew Euromanx home and our ski boot bag was so late coming off the flight that we had literally minutes to spare to get to checkin, so we left the bag..... - rang the airport when we got home and they flew our boot bag the next morning with Flybe.... (free of charge).... Obviously wouldn't work IOM = UK route.....

Travelling to the Island from the continent is a nightmare - were it not for my mother living near Ramsey I just would not bother. Add on the user-hostile airport at Manchester and OMG! I think I'll try London City with VLM in Septmeber.

And when you get to the Island - mediocre 1970's quality in general, Ramsey the town no-one cares about.

Have a dig at the airlines, have a dig at your mother's choice of abode, but fuck off having a dig at Ramsey you snow licking, cow bell twanging git you.

There you go, that's you told off.

Have a dig at the airlines, have a dig at your mother's choice of abode, but fuck off having a dig at Ramsey you snow licking, cow bell twanging git you.

There you go Simon, that's you told off.

I remember how nice Ramsey was in the 60's and 70's. Went to school there at Albert Road, enjoyed it a lot. But now...

I remember how nice Ramsey was in the 60's and 70's.

If only it was still like the 60's and 70's there... oh wait...

The point is that this thread is about Fleeceme and their fares. Why is it ok to have a pop at Ramsey at every (manufactured) opportunity but when I have a go at Douglas by calling it Druglas I am lambasted heavily.

Leave Ramsey alone, don't you see that having a go and rubbishing it all the time just adds to the general disillusionment people have toward the town.

Stick to the thread and leave us and out town alone. I imagine I could find a few things about Switzerland that aren't very palatable, but I don't. YET.

Back to the subject - I have a question.

The first post said that you have to pay £7 per bag, which should be no more than 20kg. Can't you just pay for two bags (£14) if you have two? ...or is the second bag considered as excess baggage and charged at £140?

It's all very well Flybe congratulating themselves as being a 'low cost airline' - the issues is that we have no choice. Sometimes we don't want to book with a 'low cost airline' since we want the services of a 'full service airline' and are prepared to pay [a reasonable amount] extra for the privilege.

Now that Euromanx have gone, Flybe have us by the proverbial short'n'curlies - and the Government seem reluctant to get involved in issues such as this for fear of upsetting them.

Since the end of BA Connect, I've cut my business travel down to 25% of what it was previously. Maybe good for the environment, but certainly not good for the Manx economy.

We want a 'proper' airline!

We want a 'proper' airline!

Archived