Flybe Baggage Policies Are Unfair

veuve

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I just rang their customer care service to check, got redirected to another number and kindly informed that calls would cost £1 per minute instead of 10p per minute on the original number, thieving bastards!

:o

Sure we know that fly(may)be take the pi$$ with luggage but hey, try Ryannair and their 15kgs limit for checked in baggage. Unfortunately all the low cost (not low fare) airlines are at it, it's not just fly by night that do it. Sleazy jet offer 20kgs so it's all about the same with this lot.

:(

It was just a few short years ago that the cheapest faircracker was £55 and it cost well over a ton to get to Heathrow. Manx Airlines didn't charge for bags, they made their money purely on the ticket sale. What airlines like Easy, Ryan and Flybe have done is strip the fare back to it's core components and build the cost based on what allow you use. For those that are paying for bags, there are an equal number who aren't and are able to travel at fares one could only dream of a few years ago. It costs to handle and carry bags. is it right that those who haven't got any should pay for those that have ?.

If they start weighing us at check in and charging per kilo over the average weight for a person, then that'd be a step too far.....

Bob

I agree with one point - why should someone travelling without baggage subsidise someone who is?

However, what I absolutely disagree with is that the 1st 20kg bag costs you £7, and the 2nd 20kg bag costs you £140! The cost to Flybe is the same. By all means take the second bag as standby (since they are using small regional aircraft), but a 20-fold 'penalty' is scandalous.

Mike

If they start weighing us at check in and charging per kilo over the average weight for a person, then that'd be a step too far.....

Why? If part of the reason for charging for extra baggage is the increased fuel cost, then why should someone weighing say 10st pay the same as someone weighing say 25st? That's a lot more kilo's than an extra suitcase!!

No I'm not 10st either, but neither am I 25st.

Just another side to the arguement :rolleyes:

It was just a few short years ago that the cheapest faircracker was £55 and it cost well over a ton to get to Heathrow. Manx Airlines didn't charge for bags, they made their money purely on the ticket sale. What airlines like Easy, Ryan and Flybe have done is strip the fare back to it's core components and build the cost based on what allow you use. For those that are paying for bags, there are an equal number who aren't and are able to travel at fares one could only dream of a few years ago. It costs to handle and carry bags. is it right that those who haven't got any should pay for those that have ?.

Captain Bob is correct but has not told the whole story. In 1988, when I first started travelling to and from the IOM regularly, the cheapest Heathrow flight was £185 return, the cheapest Manchester was £125 return. If we could have Manx Airlines level of service and Heathrow back I would happily pay that now.

What amazes me is that everyone used to complain about it back then, just as they do now. I am a fairly average bloke. I now earn about 3.5 times what I earned in 1988, as do most people. Flights to and from the Island have dropped considerably and people still complain. In 1988, the price of the house I bought was £46K, today it is worth about £170 - 3.6 times. The price of a pint of Okells was 80P, today it is about £2.50 - 3.1 times. In 1988, the price to fill my car was £18.00, today it is around £60 - 3.3 times.

On this basis the price of a flight to Manchester should be around £400, and heathrow around £600.

I don't think there is really that much to complain about.

Captain Bob

"It costs to handle and carry bags. is it right that those who haven't got any should pay for those that have ?". It is a con. If a baggage trolley has to go out to the aircraft it doesn't matter whether it is for one bag or 50, the fee is the same. And we did have an airline that didn't charge for bags but obviously the great travelling Manx public preferred to go with the lowest price and will now pay dearly for it - ja,ja!

Better still, don't fly with them - they'll soon get the message when their 'planes are empty.

Unfortunately there's not much alternative. People do want to use their service - they just don't want to feel ripped off.

To be fair, Ramsey is a toilet.

That's rich coming from you.

"The voice of moderation"

Ta.

What does moderation have to do with my personal opinion that Ramsey is a toilet?

So what's the story now if people want to come to the island for a golf weekend? They have to pay the £7 for their bag then £7 per kilo for their golf clubs? What about the visiting bands/musicians? (I'm not talking about the Van Morrisons of this world but smaller bands or solo artists) What about people visiting to take part in sports events? They will all generally have more than 20kg of luggage. Wave bye bye to the tiniest bit of tourism we had left.

I have noticed in America some airlines are now starting to charge for a second bag but at a flat rate of $15 or $25 which is fair enough. A second bag with Flybe weighing 20 kg would cost £140 each way.

This is factually incorrect.

One bag with flybe costs £6.99 each way when you book your ticket online and book your baggage at the same time. You can add up to 9 pieces of luggage weighing up to 20kg economy (or 30kg for economy plus) per item. You pay £6.99 for each bag, each way.

Archived