Kill Joys....unbelievable.....

manxlennie

'size and siting would introduce a prominent and incongruous structure which is out of scale with the surrounding buildings and will be detrimental to the visual amenities of the locality'.

Pathetic.

However a few follow up activities suggest themselves.

Perhaps the children could design a massive concrete apartment block which is

prominent and incongruous structure which is out of scale with the surrounding buildings and will be detrimental to the visual amenities of the locality.

Then they can collect all their pennies and put them in brown envelopes.............................

They should have checked with the planners first, whilst I have every sympathy you can't treat people differently just because they're cute.

Isn't that what they have done. The piece hasn't been created yet.

Also how the hell can you make willaston school look worse? They allowed that hideous extension at the back of the main hall but a sculpture? Oh no, it'll ruin the beauty of the surrounding area.

It's the "prominant and incongruent" bit that gets me. Presumably, the kids would have gotten their way if they'd designed a bit of sculpture that looks like a set of grim 50's outbuildings.

The same criticism they use as justification for turning down planning for the Willaston sculpture could easily be applied to the crappy railings they've stuck up along the Quay, which happen to look like they were nicked from a grubby provincial nightclub.

Good old planning officials, once again reinforcing the stereotype everyone's had of them for the past sixty years.

couldn't agree more, you'd do well to find a building more unsightly that willaston school.

I'd have thought the best judges of what woudl look good their would be the children - and they designed it. At least they won't have to stand under the seagull to feel like they've been cra**ed on.

All they need to do is get Dandara to resubmit them. Bingo. It'll be up in a few weeks.

Yeah - get the kids to grease the right palms like the rest of the island's 'legitimate businessmen' do, that should sort it.

It'll teach them more about how the world really works!

Have any of you actually seen what was proposed? I have and can tell you that it was a rather strange looking blobby thing that was about as tall as a three storey house. I've little doubt that if it were built that people would complain about it being allowed. Just because kids are involved it doesn't mean that it should be automatically approved. Interesting, the information submitted with the application even said that the proposed sculpture was not the kids first choice.

Given that the police were recently called to the school to stop some kids playing football on the roof of the school I think it would only be a matter of time before someone attempted to climb the "art" work, a fall from which would probably result in serious injury.

it would only be a matter of time before someone attempted to climb the "art" work, a fall from which would probably result in serious injury.
As Darwin might say "and falling from something they shouldn't be climbing is a problem because?"

Best not build anything over 3 foot high if that is the level of stupidity that we need to protect ourselves from.

Have any of you actually seen what was proposed? I have and can tell you that it was a rather strange looking blobby thing that was about as tall as a three storey house.
got a link or something you can upload? Even if it is an ugly eyesore to me and you, it isn't our art its the school kids. For once they've been allowed to put away the text books, learnt a litttle about being creative then real life has kicked them back into line.

Back to the blackboard and sanitised worksheets kids, no room for freedom of expresion here!

Archived