Dot Worker Faces Manslaughter Prosecution

bluemonday

But it says "It comes after a visting biker died in a crash on the Mountain Road in May last year." It doesn't mention road races or 180mph. So without knowing more details everyone is jumping to conclusions and getting all hot and bothered about something they don't yet know about!

I may be wrong here, but I seem to remember a biker getting killed when he ran into the back of a DOT trailer parked somewhere on the mountain road. Maybe something else though. Getting old so memory faiding a little.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was the driver's responsibility to drive within the limits of visibility and their stopping distance, you could come across an accident, a broken-down car, bus, sheep or the proverbial elephant around the corner. I thought the rule was that if you ran into the back of something it was your fault.

Anything could have just stopped 10 seconds before something comes screaming around a blind corner and it all goes wrong.

Just what are roadworks warning signs there to do ? - warn oncoming traffic or to protect workers in the road ? I don't think thery are there to protect approaching traffic.

edit typo

There was a sound bite on MR this morning from some union bloke stating that all DoT workers should walk out or stage some form of industrial action and not undertake any work relating to motorsport events.

This is going to be a tad difficult given that with the exception of the nook, all tarmac roads used for motorsport events are public roads and lets face it, if it wasn't for some of these events the roads would be in a far worse state than they are now!

If I remember rightly, last year and this the DoT have closed the mountain road off when undertaking supposed TT related works like, painting white lines, clearing the gulleys etc. So did this particular piece of work fall outside of that scope?

As some of you have suggested it's the timing that's strange. Also the current situation with liability insurance if your land / property is designated as a "prohibited area" being possibly / probably or (is it now) definitely invalid. Surely that would have always been the case so why is it only being mentioned this year?

Soon the only way to see the TT will be on a Duke Marketing DVD. If those in authority want to stop the Races then they should be up front about it rather than what appears to be death by a thousand cuts of red tape!

Better stop now - am getting mad.

One other thing - much impressed by IOM Constabulary. Wow were they quick at catching the sign stealers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But it says "It comes after a visting biker died in a crash on the Mountain Road in May last year." It doesn't mention road races or 180mph. So without knowing more details everyone is jumping to conclusions and getting all hot and bothered about something they don't yet know about!

I may be wrong here, but I seem to remember a biker getting killed when he ran into the back of a DOT trailer parked somewhere on the mountain road. Maybe something else though. Getting old so memory faiding a little.

I'm with you on this.

I recall a wagon on the veranda and a motorcyclist going into the back of the trailer.

I'm with you on this.

I recall a wagon on the veranda and a motorcyclist going into the back of the trailer.

there was also something at barregarrow where someone died hitting the back of a wagon.

Apparently, the (government comtrolled) www.iomtt.com forum website is being very closely monitored at the moment. Any negative/knowledgeable posts are being blocked.

Welcome to the (real) Isle of Man.

I'm sure it's not the only place either so may I take this opportunity to remind you all to be careful what you post with some wise words from Mr. Moffatt:-

We can't talk about the specifics of a particular case when there's a criminal procedure pending.

Aye Mission, fair point.

But it is a bit of a bastard when some can't talk about generalities though.

Not when it lets the rest of the world know what the Isle of Man is really about.

Archived