Manky Manx Beaches

Mutley

Isle of Man get's the worst rating of all areas -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7412771.stm#iom

ISLE OF MAN

Recommended: 6% (-50%)

Failed: 4

Only one of the island's 18 tested beaches made the grade this year, but the MCS says many bore the brunt of storm-pollution run-off "remarkably well".

But the MCS criticises the less-than-expected impact of the new sewage-treatment plant, opened in 2004, but to which the north and west of the island are still not connected.

"This means that raw sewage is still being discharged into the sea at a number of places around the island."

Not helped by people still walking their dogs (and letting them shit) on the beaches.

Not helped by people still walking their dogs (and letting them shit) on the beaches.

You are absolutely correct. Dogs should be more responsible when taking their owners for a walk. Owners should be kept on a lead and not allowed to sh1t on the beach.

:D

As with the Incinerator the Govt used a sledgehammer to crack a nut. An over-priced, over-complicated system that hasn't been value for money.

aren't the consultants the same for the pending airport fiasco !!

further LOL

Likewise, aren't the consultants the ones who patted each other on the backs for making so much money? Maybe they could pull us out of the s**t now? :angry:

Someone mentioned in a past post, that the seaweed was there to stop the pollution from hitting the beach. Doesn't some things stick?

(I'm just a little peeved that my money is going down the drain in more ways than one)

a couple of days ago i tried out the road to the tower of refuge (no it wasn't me who was cut off by the tide) and there was a blue half deflated helium baloon snaged on the rocks with pizza hut written on it so i guess that like the wind the tide carries a bit of crap to our shores. i also noticed that the beach stank worse than i can ever remember it when i walked along it. Port Jack usually stinks, but this was rancid and was noticable

was it my imagination or has Douglas beech changed since the causeway was built? the tide current now seems to come in more from the open side of the tower than it did which is obvious seeing as there is now a new artificial embankment, instead of sweeping around the bay in a U shape i guess the tide is more Y shaped with the current coming in more centrally then sweeping left and right. the sand level seems higher between the tower and the wall at the sea terminal end of the promenade and lower infront of broadway and there seem to be a lot more rocks visible than i can recall noticing before. Id been to the sea terminal for a coffee and something to eat before going back onto the sand for my walk so it was a good couple of hours after low tide as I walked the beech and the tower was inaccessable agaon by then.

if i wasn't imagining the above maybe theres 100 years of sewage that has been gradually washed up and covered by the tides being uncovered again as the currents work their magic.

the storm pollution run off idea dont sound right Weve had wet springs and summers before and the beech hasnt smelt that bad but we didn't have the causeway either.

I agree, though we have to keep it in perspective - a bucket load of doggy doo doo every couple of weeks hardly compares with the tonnes of sh1t being dumped into the sea regularly. Stand on a beach and you run the risk of getting doggy doo doo on your foot, go for a swim and you are guaranteed to have human excrement in every pore.

They'd soon be pressed to do something if the human sewage outfalls tipped out on the beach where everyone could see it. Years ago we asked our MHKs to come up with ideas how to deal with the sh1t - and you have to hand it to them - over the last 20 years there has been no shortage of sh1t ideas from them.

Archived