Cable & Wireless

Cret

From Energy FM

Plans to extend Cable and Wireless' licence

The Communications Commission is planning to extend Cable and Wireless’ licence so it will be able to provide fixed line and broadband services.

At the moment, the company is only licensed for mobile communications.

The firm applied for the extension last October after it achieved a 10% stake in the market.

The Comms Commission says representations or objections to the move should be made in writing.

Last Updated:24/05/2008 13:31:10

So they havent got it yet

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's also interesting is as far as I was aware the process was still at the 'Comments' stage where interested parties are notified... I never heard the radio but if C&W are already saying they have it - then perhaps it was always a done deal .... My understanding was there's no decision made until (at least) the 20th June.

Apologies as I may have made a mistake in terms of whether it was 'have got'/'are in the process of getting'.

Sorry for any confusion folks.

Sorry for any confusion folks.

Fair enough - although I've heard in the past from others it's a case of 'we will be'. The license change may be quite straight forward and there's realistically only one or two parties who'd object. You have to wonder whether Cloud9 will want similar terms.

retail elements of the local broadband market are more responsive than the UK, certainly in terms of fault resolution.

I definitely agree with that. We had a problem with our broadband - which we reported early this evening. And it was one of those niggling difficult to explain intermittent issues. MT were excellent and the engineer sussed it out more or less immediately. I have no doubt that this would have taken way longer in the UK.

Reporting the problem to getting it fixed took about 2 hours max.

• 1 month later...
I heard some news was due on C&Ws fixed license today...anyone heard anything? Cheers...

Yep you're right....see

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Cable-amp-W...tend.4289992.jp

Cable and Wireless had Fixed license given.

Good bit of 'spin' on that one:-

Simon Last-Sutton, commercial Director of Cable and Wireless in the Island, said: 'Granting us an amended licence means better value and choice for the Isle of Man's landline and business customers who, up until now, haven't been able to shop around.'

Not been able to shop around - what a crock of shite!!

How many other ISP's are there on the Island - there must at least be five or six!

How many other ISP's are there on the Island - there must at least be five or six!

All providing similar priced ADSL because there's only one wholesale provider.

Are C&W going to dig up all of the roads and run 'fixed lines' to their prospective customers homes, or go down the wholesale route??

So how does that work then? Not sure of the technical stuff but do they need an exchange like MT? Will we be able to keep numbers? Anyone know?

Unless they have their own phone lines, or have struck a deal with MT for LLU, (both seem unlikely at present).

I'd imagine you keep your same MT number, pay the same MT line rental, and have another ISP to choose from amongst the 5 or 6 already established here??

Archived