Cable & Wireless

Cret

On questions of how C&W are going to set up this system it may just be coincidental, but this is being announced just at the point when MEA have got the communications carrier system on power lines near enough working and MEA are advertising for communications engineers etc with experience of such and are also recruiting sales people for the same.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jimbms,

Nope - the MEA advertised for a SCADA engineer - similar skills but relating to command and control of the power network.

No adverts for sales staff for Telecoms either - the retail division has a new general manager and the electricity sales team has advertised a new post but neither are related to the telecom business (e-llan). Also e-llan is not a retail business, they sell large bandwidths to those who sell to business and homes

Yes, it could be done via the power lines but that doesn't mean that it's what C&W and the MEA would want to do - LLU would surely be the preferred C&W route with a lower cost and techological risk. The New Comms commission has an interesting job!

Do not knock MT. They provide a brilliant service but in my opinion are bogged down by a Government of absolute idiots.

The resulting situation is unfair on MT and Sure, as a result of total mis-management by the Manx Government.

Do not blame MT! Blame the dick head politicians...........

Before the demise of the MEA greedy fat cats, which resulted in a change of "board", the MEA planned to introduce internet access through the mains in competition to Manx Telecom. However this plan was cocked up by the renewal of MT's license which gave them another few years of monopoly. However, the Manx Government put a ridiculous license charge on MT amounting to millions, resulting in the high charges for mobiles and broadband internet we have today.

Do not knock MT. They provide a brilliant service but in my opinion are bogged down by a Government of absolute idiots.

The resulting situation is unfair on MT and Sure, as a result of total mis-management by the Manx Government.

Do not blame MT! Blame the dick head politicians...........

Man in the pub said. Which license of MT's are you referring to? And it's not like there are no other issues to be sorted using it.

Before the demise of the MEA greedy fat cats, which resulted in a change of "board", the MEA planned to introduce internet access through the mains in competition to Manx Telecom. However this plan was cocked up by the renewal of MT's license which gave them another few years of monopoly. However, the Manx Government put a ridiculous license charge on MT amounting to millions, resulting in the high charges for mobiles and broadband internet we have today.

Wrong. I think one could argue it is the other way round and the 'ridiculous' charge was reduced ....

In modernising the telecommunications environment on the Island, a significant recommendation of the independent consultants’ report, endorsed by Tynwald in March 2002, was that Manx Telecom should be relicensed. This will be on a non-exclusive basis, so other service providers can operate on the Island. In consequence Manx Telecom’s licence fee will no longer be 15 per cent of profits, in effect a hidden tax on all telephone users, but will cover the cost of regulation. There will therefore be a significant fall (of some £1.3m) in the revenue the Commission derives from this source in 2003-04, though this may be partially compensated by the arrival of new operators such as Cable & Wireless, whose Isle of Man subsidiary’s licence was approved by Tynwald in November 2002

They went from 15% of profits to a fixed fee.

http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/cso/plan/2006/comms.pdf

I think if you also asked any communications company in Europe if they wanted a high profit, captive market for an annual fee, they'd bite your hand off.

Jimbms,

Nope - the MEA advertised for a SCADA engineer - similar skills but relating to command and control of the power network.

No adverts for sales staff for Telecoms either - the retail division has a new general manager and the electricity sales team has advertised a new post but neither are related to the telecom business (e-llan). Also e-llan is not a retail business, they sell large bandwidths to those who sell to business and homes

Yes, it could be done via the power lines but that doesn't mean that it's what C&W and the MEA would want to do - LLU would surely be the preferred C&W route with a lower cost and techological risk. The New Comms commission has an interesting job!

The SCADA is recent and SCADA is a totaly different entity, you will find they did advertise for engineers skilled in communications over powerlines a little while back. I should know a friend at MEA sent me the spec mistakingly in the belief I knew about such things.

Jimbms,

The SCADA is recent and SCADA is a totaly different entity, you will find they did advertise for engineers skilled in communications over powerlines a little while back. I should know a friend at MEA sent me the spec mistakingly in the belief I knew about such things.

Jimbms,

Unless you're talking about the previous Board (before July 05), then the only e-llan advert I'm aware of has been for a 'General Manager' and I don't recall any reference to PLC as it was supposed to support the wholesale bandwidth business.

Of course, when moving staff across to e-llan an advert may have been necessary to ensure that Manx workers with relevant skills weren't overlooked but I can't see that PLC is allowed under e-llan's license or based on what they and the DTI have said to Tynwald members.

The previous Board oversaw a project that definately involved investigating PLC and according to PKF the Board was fairly committed to this as a means of improving IOM PLC. (A less charitable interpretation is that cash from any telecoms business was necessary to fill the black hole in the accounts but that's for the Tynwald committee!) They employed two engineers with PLC knowledge together with external consultants and would definately have required more in order to deliver Proffitt's plans.

Archived