Cartell / Milk Price?

WTF

i'm not following the news about the milk price question from whoever?? as far as i'm aware the milk price is set by government?? so why is a government member asking?? surely he should know? and as to price fixing cartell in general, most things of note we only have one real choice of which is why we are charged more!! hardly 'news'.

i'm not following the news about the milk price question from whoever?? as far as i'm aware the milk price is set by government?? so why is a government member asking?? surely he should know? and as to price fixing cartell in general, most things of note we only have one real choice of which is why we are charged more!! hardly 'news'.

Don't worry wtf, I used to winder things like this until someone explained it all to me.

Some times the politicians ask questions that they actually know the answers to, which just like you I found strange but there you go. Thefre is a reason for it. If only to bring it to peoples attention like chatting in the pub or in strand street or even being so consternated they write to internet forums.

If you need other things explaining to you i am often available in my lunch hour or whatever because sometimes it is difficult to understand economics and shops and all that and how governments and politicians

work.

I know.

D

The government doesn't set the price of milk. Isle of Man Creameries, a co-operative made up of the Island's dairy farmers, sets the price.

It's not quite a cartel in the true sense, but it's not far off one. Anyway, I thought the prices are subject to Tynwald approval so he should know what's going on before he asks.

I didn't even know it was Peter Karran before I looked at Manx Radio News - but his name immediately came to mind - I just associate him with stupid questions now, which is a bad thing. One day he'll say something really important and I won't be listening because it's Peter Karran.

Isn't the price of milk in England etc hugely subsidised by the EU? If so that could explain the difference.

Anyway, it won't be far off now when we will all have to face up to paying the real cost for food. Anyone else remember when chicken was a luxury and not something you got 2 for a fiver from Tesco as it is cheaper to feed the dog than buying dog food?

after some 'looking', it appears that one pint in a uk supermarket is £X but a 4 pint pot of milk is not £4X like it is over here. so if you buy in bulk, the cost goes down per pint. over here because the cost per pint is set by the powers that be, id don't matter how many pints you buy in the same container it is still £X per pint, no bulk discount. so in effect they are actually charging you more per pint because there is only one lot of packaging and not 4 so their costs are less. they'll be gallon cans next??? looked at in a different light though, 50 something pence for a pint of anything to drink other than tap water is a bargain.

Talk to a dairy farmer in the UK and they are not making anymoney at all from the milk these days a lot are moving into cerals.

Basically its a numbers game over here.

Yes we pay less tax than the UK but once you add up the living costs here it soon makes up for the less tax we pay.

Its only going to carry on going up because as india and china buy more and more western goods its going to make it more and more expensive.

Its just the start of things to come.

I think you'll find that if you do a bit of research you'll find that , as an Indapendent company, IOM Creameries has done more, and still does, to promote an IOM Product.

They where the first to try and get their product accepted by the UK and Europe. The have pushed the items they produce for years.

Now, however, we have the Fatstocks, trying to do the same thing. Why?

Because they are afraid of losing something which was given to them when the " Happy Farmers" made the rules in Tynwald.

They're all dead and we have normal people in there now. Kerriush was a star for it and the Knighted him :o

Now the Fatstocks have a problem.

They've taken it for granted that Tynwald will get them out of the shit. We now look at many people being sold it, at the Tax Payers cost, to sort a problem which has been here for years.

The fatstock even employed someone to sort it out, yet so far this year ,we have had, i believe, up to 15 people brought to the IOM to sort this out, AT TAX PAYERS COST..

Don't think your Milkie is ripping you off. Look eslewhere.

Remember that most major SuperMarkets have just been nailed for Mills of pounds for selling milk cheap to entice people into their stores.

The Creameries HAVE made the effort to sell. They have joined a group which allows them to sell their product throughout Europe. And they have been for a number off years.

The Fatstocks might have just joined, i don't know. Howvever, i was led to believe by an Employee of the Fatstocks, that they had joined the same system as the Creameries, 2 years ago.

It was a Lie.

Just to let you know ,WHO, is taking the piss. It;s not the Creameries as they've tried there arse off.

No, i'm not a farmer and have nothing to do with farming. I just see what is not right, imo.

You must add into the equation to the price of milk that we overproduce milk, we then turn it into dairy products to try to sell to the EEC which has a glut of its own dairy products. To do this we price below cost [like manx lamb] then recompense the IOMMMB with much money from the public purse and call it an "export subsidy"

Add that plus the cost of building the dairy by govt plus the subsidised rental of the premises and yet again a great deal for a few large producers but a rip off for the taxpayer

ps i did hear that a lot of our wonderful produce goes straight to the Kraft cheese slices factories in Holland.

Don't talk to me about milk prices - not to mention bread, butter, cheese, and bloody PETROL!!! If you are thinking about moving to NZ - DON'T. It's unbelievable here right now.

This time last year, petrol was running at approx $1.43 per litre, it's now $2.05, milk etc have increased 40% in the past year. The only encouraging thing is house prices are falling (but only if you don't own a house is this encouraging :huh: ), then again mortgage interest rates are through the roof!

Trust me, you have it better there at the moment, plus we pay up to 39% PAYE on our salaries - (high earners, but my partner and I are currently on 33%, and no so high earners!).

The grass is not always greener I can assure you

I think what you have to look at is the fact that in the uk supermarkets contract farmers to provide them exclusivly for milk at a fixed price for 2yrs, at ghe end of the 2yrs they have no other customers bar the supermarket and at the same time have usualy borrowed money to increase their herd and equipment to cope with the demand, then the supermarket says they are going to pay 20% less to them knowing the farmer has no choice but to accept it or go bankrupt, thus the supermarkets can then sell for less sometimes as a loss leader. Here we can restrict milk being imported and tesco get told pay a fair price or theirs a boat in the morning, so for once the supermarket cartels are getting shafted. So for me i think the price of a pint of milk here is fair, it's the same everywhere, the little shop on the corner gets an equal running to the likes of tesco not forgetting our milk is a lot fresher than most of the supermarket shite.

not forgetting our milk is a lot fresher than most of the supermarket shite

I agree with pretty much all of your post apart from this. The milk we get here has a much shorter shelf life than the majority of UK supermarkets. For some unfathomable reason it takes longer to get from the cow to the shelf here.

Archived