Cartell / Milk Price?

WTF

In France it is quite difficult to get fresh milk - the big supermarkets tend to push the longlive UHT variety.

My local UK supermarket is now pushing a 'specially filtered' milk that 'by eliminating bacteria' allows a longer shelf life of 7 days after opening in the fridge

In the olden days when milk was milk was milk, rather than blue green and red, and btw (by the way) we always have green because we think it is better for you but ok in tea whuich the red stuff isnt. Our milk always went off within a day or two back then and niffed something rotten so you always knew it was off.

These days, our green milk takes ages to go off and doens smell when it does. It just goes lumpy a bit.

All the smelly fatty nasty stuff goes into Douglas Bay and I should know because braodway sewer pipe from the creamery often overflows and jeeez! when it does just wa;king up the road it will turn your guts and make you wench, like what the old milk used to do in the old days.

Put it this way, there is more to all this milk malarkey than meets the eye.

The Creameries HAVE made the effort to sell. They have joined a group which allows them to sell their product throughout Europe. And they have been for a number off years

I'd like to buy their cheeses - but they basically aren't particularly appetizing. It's all very well producing pepper stuffed, smoked and other flavored versions - but they could do with getting the basic product right. When they come up with a decent, slightly crumbly mature cheddar I will definitely be buying it. Even if it costs more.

The IOM cheddar seems to be sweaty and rather rubbery for some reason. I wonder whether that's to do with the climate here, the humidity perhaps (I doubt it because perfectly good crumbly cheese is being made in Ireland and Lancs eg).

Incidentally - is anyone making goats' cheese over here? In Wales and Lancs it seem to be booming niche?

Archived