[BBC News] Landlords warned over fake notes

Newsbot

Watch out for those 10p forgeries too - they suspect a group of irish gangsters who are filing the edges off 50p coins.

if they do a 20p they may work better in the ticket machine on level 4 (by the lifts) of Chester St car park, it takes about 10 times or more to get a genuine 20p to be accepted ~ argggghhhh :angry:

If you run a pub or a shop and find one though would you really 'fess up to having a fake note and probably lose out on that amount (i'm assuming it's your responsibility to check therefore if you hand it to police you lose it) or would you just pass it on as change to a drunken customer and forget all about it?

I know what i would do...but i'm not saying what as I don't want to give away too much information about my morals! :P

I don't get many drunken customers (the odd one yes, but not on a daily basis).

I check all £20 English notes as a matter of course at this time of the year, bit of a pain to have to start checking 5's as well.

Watch out for dodgy looking £1 coins as well. I've had several in the last couple of years. They are usually made from the lead that's been nicked off the church roof and spray painted gold. If you see a grey one or one that looks a bid odd, scratch it with another coin or try to cut it with a pair of scissors.

I once wrote a fake note to the head master. It was kept as the benchmark to compare signatures on later notes and as a result I had more or less carte blanche to do whatever I wanted to during the last 5 years of school. It doesn't work the same at work I'm afraid...

Manx landlords and shopkeepers are being asked to check bank notes after forgeries are found.

I don't understand how people fake notes and coins...

As they only show the Queens head and shoulders, how do you counterfeit....

Archived