Metal Gear Solid 4 : Guns Of The Patriots

slinkydevil

Just over 2 weeks to go before release on this title. I've been looking forward to MGS4 and the reviews are starting to drip feed in now. The reviews look good. I'm away in June so will have to pick it up when I return, but it's something to look forward to and by then I'll know from the user base if it lives up to the hype.

Release date: 12/06/08

Official Site: http://www.konami.jp/mgs4/uk/index.html

* PlayStation Official Magazine (UK): 10/10

* PlayStation Official Magazine (US): 10/10

* PlayStation Official Magazine (Italy): 10/10

* PlayStation Official Magazine (Dutch): 9.6/10

* LEVEL (Sweden): 10/10

* Joypad (France): 19/20

* Jeuxvideo Magazine (France): 18/20

Gamepro Magazine: MGS4 it is, without a doubt, one of the greatest games of all time. 5/5

Scans from Gamepro here: http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?t=413419

1UP MGS4 Preview: http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3167967&p=37

looks very interesting, i'm hoping that you can play through a little less sneakily...that said I've read of 90min cutscenes! :huh:

Yeah I'd heard that, but I think that rumour has been quashed (see below) - however I'm pretty sure they'll still be lengthy - always a gripe of mine on the previous versions, I guess it's just a style Konami have with this title.

Update: The reviewer for GamePro who has played through MGS4 has left this comment about the 90 minute rumor.

"I've beat the game twice, and am the author of the forthcoming [GamePro] review," Shuman said. "Ninety-minute-long cinemas in MGS4 sounds like an exaggeration. Like the other MGS games, MGS4 definitely has a cinematic quality. And yes, some of the cut-scenes in the game are elaborate and occasionally lengthy. But not a one, to my recollection, even approaches 90 minutes."

• 3 weeks later...

Gamespot who usually hate PS3 games have given it a 10/10

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is the most technically stunning video game ever made. It's also a fine example of storytelling prowess within its medium, combining gameplay and narrative so slickly and beautifully that it's impossible to extricate one from the other. It's likely you will emerge awestruck from your first play-through, wishing the experience would continue yet nonetheless satisfied with its conclusion. It's difficult not to sound hyperbolic when discussing MGS4 because every part of its design seemingly fulfills its vision, without compromise. There is no halfway.

The Good:

* A brilliant mixture of storytelling and gameplay

* Mind-blowing audiovisual presentation

* Tight and compelling shooting mechanics

* Gratifying stealth mechanics

* Lots of cool gadgets and weapons that you can tailor to your own style of play.

The Bad:

* Storytelling is heavy-handed

* The single-player experience ends.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/meta...id4/review.html

Internet forum chatter is saying it's good. I really want the game but with 3 weeks in Bali next week I'll wait til I'm back.

picked this up yesterday, just played through the first act and have to say I'm really enjoying it...i'm not a sneaky stealthy guy by choice and have been ploughing through guns blazing ( with much success )!!!

Graphics are fantastic, the cutscenes are a bit on the loooong side ( but this was always a given knowing the series ), the sound is phenominal, and the actual shooting mechanics work really well...enjoying the new otco-suit and the other gadgets, gonna have a quick go on the online portion tonite see how that pans out.

if you're into MGS then it's a must buy, if not then maybe pick it up on rental before forking out the money.

think i'm about halfway through now, jesus this game is good fanboys be prepared for act4 that's all i'm gonna say! :lol:

I'm getting used to the cutscene length now, the story is fantastic and the transition between CGI and actual gameplay is quite simply stunning...can't wait to see what else is going to happen... :D

Is it a "worth buying a PS3 for" type of game.....I dont want to end up in Shenmui territory again!!!!

To be honest has there ever been a single game that justifies the purchase of a console?!? :huh:

I think it all depends on whether or not you've played and enjoyed the previous enstallments, it's definately a game that deserves to be played just for the experience ( I think all PS3 owners should definately pick it up and have a go as it really is only one of a handful of AAA exclusive titles ). I'm already looking forward to playing through again with some of the juicy weapons that i've collected ;) .

I'm yet to try the online modes ( i've tried to install the mandatory online install 6 times now and had it fail every single time... :angry: ), but i've heard they're supposed to be pretty good fun...

Archived