[BBC News] Appeal over gym coach's sentence

Newsbot

I'm aware - professionally(!) - of a one-off daylight indecent assault by an intoxicated stranger who turned himself in, pleaded guilty (thereby avoiding trauma of witness / victim in early teens giving evidence) and who received a 3m straight (rather than suspended) sentence.

The Volante sentence does appear to be outside the parameters one might expect for a position of trust / series of offences situation where numerous victims / alleged victims were called to give evidence

The Volante sentence does appear to be outside the parameters one might expect for a position of trust / series of offences situation where numerous victims / alleged victims were called to give evidence

Indeed. The sentence appears to be ratherl enient based on the reported details, unless there was some exceptional mitigation.

One point of mitigation may be that the press releases keep on repeating his address

And so they should. I remember a Convicted child molester being in the David Grey House whilst his victem lived 200 yrds away. Nobody knew he was there untill the Mother saw him , one day.

As far as I know, as he is on the Sexual Offenders List, he has to tell the Police where he lives. And as he's that well known and a " Local Figure " what's the point in not saying, as it's common knowledge anyway. The phone book for a start.

I hope it goes to Court and he gets his just punishment. Not like last time.

One point of mitigation may be that the press releases keep on repeating his address

And so they should. I remember a Convicted child molester being in the David Grey House whilst his victem lived 200 yrds away. Nobody knew he was there untill the Mother saw him , one day.

As far as I know, as he is on the Sexual Offenders List, he has to tell the Police where he lives. And as he's that well known and a " Local Figure " what's the point in not saying, as it's common knowledge anyway. The phone book for a start.

The phone book does not list that address. My point is that this was a highly publicised case and his location has been given. We do not have a Sarah's Law, but seemed to have got one through the back door. Not that that is a bad thing, mind, but I always get a little concerned about things being done in a less than open manner.

The phone book does not list that address. My point is that this was a highly publicised case and his location has been given. We do not have a Sarah's Law, but seemed to have got one through the back door. Not that that is a bad thing, mind, but I always get a little concerned about things being done in a less than open manner.

I agree Gladys and share my concerns also.

What he did was despicable and whether the appeal is successful, we'll just have to wait and see. I hope however, that no-one takes their own personal actions against him and by that I mean assault, as I wouldn't like to see someone go to prison for probably longer than Volante did.

ps, How long did he do in prison anyway?

• 3 months later...

he may have been given nine months, but as he never received a term of incarceration in his original sentence i would assume all his time in custody pre trial will come off the nine months? add to that he will probably behave up there he is likely to get parole early too?

he may have been given nine months, but as he never received a term of incarceration in his original sentence i would assume all his time in custody pre trial will come off the nine months? add to that he will probably behave up there he is likely to get parole early too?

And your point is? No way I'm defending what this guy did but he has been sentenced at appeal to 9 months in jail. If he served time on remand before his sentencing then like every other convicted criminal then that time comes off his custodial sentence. If he serves his remaining time with good behaviour then his total time inside will also be reduced just like every other criminal.

What he did was awful but he should be treated in the same way as every other criminal. Oh, apart from he'll have to also deservedly spend 5-10 years on the sex offenders register and never be able to class his convistion as spent.

Stands back to be flamed........

And your point is?

my point was that anyone who thinks this latest ruling means that he will be living at jurby for nine months is deluding themselves.

And your point is?

my point was that anyone who thinks this latest ruling means that he will be living at jurby for nine months is deluding themselves.

No you're right there. With good behavoiur he would only spend a total of 4.5 months behind bars anyway (half off for good behaviour? or is it 1/3 off meaning 6 months behind bars?). And it he did spend time on remand before sentancing then that would also come off his sentance.

I've just checked back and on 22nd March he was remanded in custody until 1st May "after the defence team asked for bail to be revoked."

So he's probably going to spend 3 months in the Jurby Hilton...

Archived