Closing The College Nursery....shocking!

manxlennie

Seems short sighted. I take it that it's being done purely in order to allegedly save money?

The College’s governing body and the Department of Education say nursery provision can be obtained more cost-effectively by subsidising child care from private sector providers for students with young children.

And that's a known is it? Anyone got any relevant figures one way or another?

Typical. Its fine for the fat rich government to decide people can use private child care. Surely the creche at the COFE was staffed by people on the Nursery nursing course which should have made it cost effective. This is taking up places in private nurseries that could be used by people putting back into the economy (ie workers children) the students should be getting free places anyway, all this will mean is that students have to claim DHSS benefits to cover the cost of the child care - its bloody stupid.

And I would have also thought that the students being close to their kiddies would be beneficial.

Still maybe some self serving untalented money grabbing ooops member of the government has just started a child care business - or knows someone who has......

But this isn't a pre-school! Its a nursery to allow people (mainly mum's) with kids to go to college and have their kids looked after there so they can get a better education and better themselves.

Short sighted penny pinching!

Maybe the mum's should get together and have a cooperative and take it in turns looking after other peoples kidds. That waty everybody is happy.

But this isn't a pre-school! Its a nursery to allow people (mainly mum's) with kids to go to college and have their kids looked after there so they can get a better education and better themselves.

Or maybe, just maybe, if you have kids you should make your own provision for their welfare not expect the state to pick up the tab whilst you go to college, drive a bus, work in M & S or whatever.

Surely the creche at the COFE was staffed by people on the Nursery nursing course which should have made it cost effective.

No it’s staffed by qualified nursery nurses and ran by the collage.

From MR story

Six nursery nurses could lose their jobs after it was announced the Isle of Man College is to close its nursery at the end of August.

Four full-time and two part-time members of staff would be affected.

Here here. A few quid invested in them will get these people back into the economy.

I would have thought that the facility up there will no doubt be far better for everyone, i.e. student nursery nurses getting trained on site, and parents not far from their kids and not having to travel miles to drop kids off and then get to college, especially those parents on tight budgets (at least adding an hour to each day I imagine) - and better for Joe Taxpayer as people get trained, working and contributing. It could be that students might not even be able to get a place if there are not enough private places, and therefore will not be able to better themselves.

I'm sure they've costed this, but costing something doesn't always imply thinking things through properly. £44M on a runway extension we don't need v penny pinching elsewhere is obviously not joined-up-government thinking.

Maybe the mum's should get together and have a cooperative and take it in turns looking after other peoples kidds. That waty everybody is happy.

A better idea than Albert Tatlocks. Unfortunately, his idea of people bettering themselves by going to college, no matter how correct it is does not mean they can leave college and immediately earn enough money to improve their situations, by the time they have paid for child care, commuting / parking, and all the other additional expenses.

Best thing they can do is become a nursery nurse.

Your missing the point also, it's so they can have time to go to classes and get an education. They can't afford to miss their lessons to 'take it in turns'. This should not be about how moral the situation they are in is, but rather everyone is entitled to and SHOULD get a basic level of education. Which goes for the next ignorant post aswell....

Or maybe, just maybe, if you have kids you should make your own provision for their welfare not expect the state to pick up the tab whilst you go to college, drive a bus, work in M & S or whatever.

There is not that many of them, it is an unfortunate circumstance they have themselves in, but that is irrelevant. Everyone should have a basic level of education (ie, gcse's) and provisions should be made to allow for every member of society to be able to do so.

Not only does it make sense in a liberal way, it makes sense financially. If these girls do not get their GCSE's, what job prospects do they have? Pretty much nil. They will probably live their lives off benefits. Give them an education for a short while and you open the door to them to become independent.

edit: that took me a few mins to write, seems my points got already put out there

A better idea than Albert Tatlocks. Unfortunately, his idea of people bettering themselves by going to college, no matter how correct it is does not mean they can leave college and immediately earn enough money to improve their situations, by the time they have paid for child care, commuting / parking, and all the other additional expenses.

I was under the impression you had to be a registered child minder, get police checked, insured and the property inspected to do all that - I can't really see it working practically e.g. 5-10 kids being minded in some two bedroomed flat.

I didn't say they could immediately leave college and everything would be rosy - but it is certainly the start of the process. Many of us who have brought kids up, including me, have been faced with extortionate child minding costs at some time or other, though some of us had more sense to get trained and get a job first. Personally, I'm all for giving tax credits for child care costs, it would benefit the economy, lower immigration, and discourage benefit-fuelled singles and/or chavs staying at home.

it is an unfortunate circumstance they have themselves in, but that is irrelevant.

I agrea and there's no sense crying over spilt milk and so yes i suppose the situation has to be sorted.

but for the future, we should tell all the 10 year old girls or whatever age you think best to warn them, that having a baby might put them in this situation that these poor girls are in up at the college.

If you make them aware earlier that having a baby might be quite expensive and could even stifle your career progress unless you are a professional advocate or one of those type.

It really is a catch 2020 situation.

Archived