[BBC News] Biker dies in crash on TT course

Newsbot

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally avoidable.

Obviously it would be wrong to assign blame to either party without knowing the facts but why on earth people drive the 'wrong way' around any part of the course on Mad Sunday is beyond me.

For one day each year just steer clear of the course. No journey is that essential

Totally avoidable.

Obviously it would be wrong to assign blame to either party without knowing the facts but why on earth people drive the 'wrong way' around any part of the course on Mad Sunday is beyond me.

For one day each year just steer clear of the course. No journey is that essential

Things will no doubt only get worse - with nearly 21000 retired folks on the island soon one in four drivers will be a pensioner - not best known for their speedy reactions, concentrating on the road or even being able to see it over the steering wheel or from under a flat cap, or thinking about the potential dangers on their weekly journey to the post office or Sunday drive.

I was out all day yesterday and nearly had a bike stuck in my bonnet three times - one on a small side road behind tynwald hill and the other two while I was travelling along the direction of the course - all bikes using more road than they should have...

Totally avoidable.

but why on earth people drive the 'wrong way' around any part of the course on Mad Sunday is beyond me.

you know that thing called work, well it does happin on a sunday as well,

ppl still have to to go about there lives dont thay,

maybe thay should just make it one way all the way round, that solve the problem,

and to be fair it anit just mad sunday, its every day of the week that its bad,

or even better scrap the whole thing, id vote for that,

least it was only himself so one gd thing, thats if he was in the wrong that is, if not pitty, but we all know the risks

Then they should take a different route.

yes they should, NOT!!, why should you not expect to use the road in the manner intended?? and what about buses and emergency sevices?? we shouldn't have to drive lots of extra miles just to travel half a mile counter clockwise!! the vehicle the bike collided with was damaged on the front left ( thats where the windscreen was smashed ). if that was on it's own side the road travelling to St Johns and the bike was travelling round the course?? the bike was well on the wrong side the road. they may even have forgot what side they should have been on in the heat of the moment, instinct from the continent is head right not left. this does depend on whether it had all gone wrong and was out of control before the collision though. if it had already gone tits up then it could go anywhere.

Then they should take a different route.

so if i go to north or any where really past glen helen i should try and come all the way back round the east of the island fight my way though the traffic in douglas to get home,

so thats about 2-3 hours extra time spent on 1 job, cant bill for it, so its lost time and cash and when u trying to get to the next job, because thay cant do out till you get there,

i take me chances comeing the other way

yes they should, NOT!!, why should you not expect to use the road in the manner intended?? and what about buses and emergency sevices?? we shouldn't have to drive lots of extra miles just to travel half a mile counter clockwise!! the vehicle the bike collided with was damaged on the front left ( thats where the windscreen was smashed ). if that was on it's own side the road travelling to St Johns and the bike was travelling round the course?? the bike was well on the wrong side the road. they may even have forgot what side they should have been on in the heat of the moment, instinct from the continent is head right not left. this does depend on whether it had all gone wrong and was out of control before the collision though. if it had already gone tits up then it could go anywhere.

Because like it or not the road is not going to be used in the manner intended and crashes are going to happen.

It is one day of the year for crying out loud. You know what to expect. Just stay out of their way

Because like it or not the road is not going to be used in the manner intended and crashes are going to happen.

It is one day of the year for crying out loud. You know what to expect. Just stay out of their way

one day of the year at present, the whole week is a speedfest, and not only do i know what to expect, the morgue fodder coming round the course ALSO knows the road is 2 way and to EXPECT vehicles coming from the other direction.

I agree with Terry, although I can empathise to an extent with the other point of view. Mad Sunday DOES only occur once a year, and I wouldn't dream of going the 'wrong' way anywhere near the TT course that day, except in a real life or death emergency.

Actually, I'm getting old and soft - after watching the MotoGP on telly I wondered about going for a fast-ish lap on the bike or even in my sports car, but bottled it in the sure knowledge that hundreds of bikers would be out showing off and driving beyond their abilities. I've come back the last couple of Mad Sundays having been badly scared - for example I was riding (clockwise) into Barregarrow a couple of years ago at 80-90mph and a sportsbike came past at what looked like double my speed, taking the racing line (blind bend) and just avoiding the kerb on the other side of the road!

Not saying any of that applied here, and sympathies for ALL involved.

i too can see what terry is saying, but the road is exactly that. if you want to whiz around and have people gawping at your fantastic fast riding, get a racing licence and join in proper.

if you make it easier for muppets to out ride themselves on public roads more will try it and there will be even more crashes. the pub racers should actually be worried that something is just round the corner coming the other way and drive/ride accordingly, not think there is not likely to be anything coming and take a chance. how long before we have the marshals out there with flags and medics for the inconsiderate mad sunday wannabes??

mmmm Just came to mind a good dialema: a French motorcyclist heading head on towards you, the only way to avoid him is to hit the lycra lout at the side of you, either way your going to cream one of them, who do you pick, I hate the lycra louts but on the other hand the other is French. :sweatingbullets:

Archived