[BBC News] Biker dies in crash on TT course

Newsbot

however was a Manx-registered car which appeared to be deliberately hugging the white lines, in an obstinate and misguided effort to stop the bikes from overtaking.

that be prob me in that then, but thats how i allways drive

but it aint to stop them over takeing,

if i drive well over to the left, anythingcan pull out of a gateway/drive, car person, cows, or worse a child chaseing a ball,

if your tight to the left u got no chance really of avoideing them, even if u do, u have the chance that at the same time a biker is over takeing u on the white line with cars comeing the other way, well you going to send the biker to his death aint you while u try to avoid the object to your left,

also even more so at this time of year with farms being so busy, a lot of the field gates are stright on to the road, and thay cant see whats comeing for at least 4-5 ft is out on the road, and if it happins to be u driveing in the hedge at that time, u going to have a set of weights in the side,

i drive near to the line, at all times, the bikes behind me know im there, thay know what im going to do next, i still be there,

near that line, if thay want to overtake that still can, but to be honest theres less risk of them trying to get past with cars comeing the other way, as thay know the room is not there,

I do hope your driving skills exceed your grammatical skills. On the other hand there is a point to be had here as anyone who has done an agressive/defensive or govenment advanced driving course will verify, to a point that when deemed safe to do so, (note I put this in bold) you should drive close to the centre of the carraigeway to enable efective counter moves to any incident occuring on either side please note again when deemed safe to do so, not all the time, going round a blind bend is not deemed as a safe point

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a quick note on the "making room to let bikers through" topic.

Last night I managed to let a bike through on the richmond just after the bend where there are double whites. It was no problems to me in a people carrier to make enough space - which must have made it all the more frustrating for the biker to then be 'blocked' by a white northwood builders supply van all the way to where the solid white ended. I could have practically fitted my people carrier to the left of the van.

And for all you car drivers who do pull right to 'block' bikers bear in mind you don't know who is on the bike. It could even be carrying an off duty police officer....

And for all you car drivers who do pull right to 'block' bikers bear in mind you don't know who is on the bike. It could even be carrying an off duty police officer....

and your point is,!!!!!

If your not going over the white line you are not brakeing the law, (that i know off, )

unless somebody can tell me its brakeing the law,

but cant see how,

did he over take after the double white lines,

I think the point here is that too many people on our roads like to drive like an utter tit, and wind up everyone else knowing that what they are doing is wrong but 'within the law'.

One of these days these people will hold up someone for miles on end, winding the person up to the point of madness and they overtake, then come round a corner to find the person smashed into an oncoming car full of kids.

At least in court they can say "I didn't break any laws" but they will DAMN WELL KNOW they contributed to it.

I think the point here is that too many people on our roads like to drive like an utter tit, and wind up everyone else knowing that what they are doing is wrong but 'within the law'.

what because thay sit near the white line,

if its safe to over take then it dont matter where the person in front is sat,

that be it on the white line or tight over to the hedge,

just because a bike can fit past on the same side if the car pulls over for him. does not give him the right to,

the laws of the road still apply to him,

I agree with Gazza on this. I drive in the centre, of my lane, generally but on bends I move to the apex of the curve, left handers I'm on the right, right handers I'm on the left. It maximises my forward view. Following your logic, when I'm on one of my bikes I should be on the left enabling any tit car driver to push me into the hedge just so they can get past, I don't think so. It's called defensive riding and very safe as it is part and parcel of all advanced driving courses for both cars and bikes.

Bikes aren't obliged to over-take, I have as much need of the whole lane as they do

Gazza, despite his poor grasp of written English, is spot on.

Also:

1. What is all this about causing bikers to ride dangerously because of the frustration caused by slower moving vehicles?

If you can't be patient, you shouldn't be on the road. A safe opportunity to overtake will present itself soon enough.

2. Nobody seems to have mentioned the arseholes who seem to think it appropriate to squeeze themselves between a line of cars and the oncoming traffic (or even between the cars and the white lines) when waiting at a road junction/traffic lights. I can imagine some motorists being very tempted to open their driver's doors and knock the f*ckers off.

(or even between the cars and the white lines) when waiting at a road junction/traffic lights. I can imagine some motorists being very tempted to open their driver's doors and knock the f*ckers off.

That is called filtering and is a perfectly legal manoeuvre, if a car driver were to open their door and knock the "f*ckers" off then they would be in the wrong.

(or even between the cars and the white lines) when waiting at a road junction/traffic lights. I can imagine some motorists being very tempted to open their driver's doors and knock the f*ckers off.

That is called filtering and is a perfectly legal manoeuvre, if a car driver were to open their door and knock the "f*ckers" off then they would be in the wrong.

That is NOT called filtering. Filtering is for turning at a road junction, not for going straight ahead. Perhaps I wasn't clear.

Yes, ofcourse, the motorist would be in the wrong (aren't we always?) but it illustrates the restraint we show.

That is NOT called filtering. Filtering is for turning at a road junction, not for going straight ahead. Perhaps I wasn't clear.

Yes, ofcourse, the motorist would be in the wrong (aren't we always?) but it illustrates the restraint we show.

Yes it is called filtering, do you have a bike licence? If so I think maybe you should take some extra training.

I'm afraid I don't have a copy of the new highway code but I found this article which states they have added filtering into the new one, it was always allowed but not specifically noted in the old highway code:

The first revised Highway Code in eight years has been unveiled by Road Safety Minister Jim Fitzpatrick. The updated Code offers the latest road safety rules and advice, as well as promoting greater courtesy and understanding among all road users, particularly those who are most vulnerable.

The Motorcycle Action Group (MAG UK)) says that motorcyclists are vulnerable road users and often bear the brunt of inattentive drivers who are more pre occupied with trying to light a cigarette, fiddling with CD’s, trying to read road maps, not to mention the omnipresent mobile phone users who persist in using their phones despite increased penalties. All these activities result in distractions from driving and present a very serious danger to motorcyclists which are now categorically defined in the new Highway Code as activities prohibited whilst driving.

In addition the code outlines the dangers caused by overfilling fuel tanks, in particular Diesel, which if spilt on the road causes serious danger, especially to motorcyclists and cyclists. Advice is given for motorists to be especially vigilant when manoeuvring, such as turning right or changing lanes and being aware of their vehicle blind spots.

The code recognises the benefits of motorcycles in beating traffic congestion and advises motorists to look out for motorcyclists who are legitimately filtering between lanes of traffic.

Source

At what point does that quotation state that it is a legitimate manoevre to position your bike alongside and in the same lane as another vehicle?

As I said I don't have nor can I find online a copy of the new highway code which does state this as a legitimate manoevre, however it's widely known (except for you apparently) that filtering in stationary or slow moving traffic is recognised as a perfectly legal thing to do, I do it regularly past police cars and they don't bat an eyelid.

If you can find a copy of the new highway code and prove that it isn't legal fair enough I will admit I and every other motorcycle rider in the country are wrong, but I'm afraid I don't have the patience to argue about your incorrect and stupid rant any longer.

Edit because I found it:

Manoeuvring. You should be aware of what is behind and to the sides before manoeuvring. Look behind you; use mirrors if they are fitted. When in traffic queues look out for pedestrians crossing between vehicles and vehicles emerging from junctions or changing lanes. Position yourself so that drivers in front can see you in their mirrors. Additionally, when filtering in slow-moving traffic, take care and keep your speed low.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTrans...ycode/DG_069854

At what point does that quotation state that it is a legitimate manoevre to position your bike alongside and in the same lane as another vehicle?

As I said I don't have nor can I find online a copy of the new highway code which does state this as a legitimate manoevre, however it's widely known (except for you apparently) that filtering in stationary or slow moving traffic is recognised as a perfectly legal thing to do, I do it regularly past police cars and they don't bat an eyelid.

If you can find a copy of the new highway code and prove that it isn't legal fair enough I will admit I and every other motorcycle rider in the country are wrong, but I'm afraid I don't have the patience to argue about your incorrect and stupid rant any longer.

That's fair enough. If I'm wrong I'll hold my hands up.

Unlike you, what I won't do is resort to the use of words which perfectly illustrate your intolerance and inpatience.

How are we as motorists expected to learn of our mistakes if bikers like you constantly berate us instead of taking the time to explain (with supporting documentation if necessary) the error of our ways?

what annoys me is when I am happily driving along with a comfortable distance between me and the next vehicle ahead and some tit comes and jumps into the space leaving me too close for comfort (and themselves also) and having to back off to regain my safety margin :blink:

Archived