[BBC News] Biker dies in crash on TT course

Newsbot

At what point does that quotation state that it is a legitimate manoevre to position your bike alongside and in the same lane as another vehicle?

As I said I don't have nor can I find online a copy of the new highway code which does state this as a legitimate manoevre, however it's widely known (except for you apparently) that filtering in stationary or slow moving traffic is recognised as a perfectly legal thing to do, I do it regularly past police cars and they don't bat an eyelid.

If you can find a copy of the new highway code and prove that it isn't legal fair enough I will admit I and every other motorcycle rider in the country are wrong, but I'm afraid I don't have the patience to argue about your incorrect and stupid rant any longer.

That's fair enough. If I'm wrong I'll hold my hands up.

Unlike you, what I won't do is resort to the use of words which perfectly illustrate your intolerance and inpatience.

How are we as motorists expected to learn of our mistakes if bikers like you constantly berate us instead of taking the time to explain (with supporting documentation if necessary) the error of our ways?

Technically speaking as motorists you are supposed to know the law in order hold a driving licence, granted most drivers won't pay too much attention to the motorcycle rules part but still it's information that could be handy to know, for example it would make people aware that the bike in their mirror might very well carry on past them when they stop at a traffic light, and not to get angry about it and try to knock them off because they have done something wrong, but to understand that they are legally using their chosen vehicle to their advantage and cutting congestion by not adding to the queue.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After spending a lot of time driving around the roads, I have to say that the bikers have not behaved anything like as well they did last year.

On that occasion - when there were many more bikes than this year - I was able to praise them for riding sensibly and being aware of other vehicles.

This time, however, it appeared that too many of them were prepared to take unnecessary risks and I saw many examples of other motorists having to take sharp evasive action to avoid accidents.

And without wishing to be too critical of the police, I do think that some of the numbers who were patrolling Douglas when it was little more than a ghost town might have been better used at strategic points on the course - not necessarily to book people for speeding but, as another poster mentioned, their visible presence can have an effect on behaviour.

After spending a lot of time driving around the roads, I have to say that the bikers have not behaved anything like as well they did last year.

On that occasion - when there were many more bikes than this year - I was able to praise them for riding sensibly and being aware of other vehicles.

This time, however, it appeared that too many of them were prepared to take unnecessary risks and I saw many examples of other motorists having to take sharp evasive action to avoid accidents.

And without wishing to be too critical of the police, I do think that some of the numbers who were patrolling Douglas when it was little more than a ghost town might have been better used at strategic points on the course - not necessarily to book people for speeding but, as another poster mentioned, their visible presence can have an effect on behaviour.

Agreed, much as I can defend things bikers are allowed to do there are more they aren't, and this year alot of them have excelled in breaking every law they can!

I braved the course a few times, armed with my knowledge of where there are speed limits, good straights for overtaking, and dodgy junctions and happily survived, but alot of knobbers really didn't give a toss, i saw a near catastrophe at sulby crossroads where someone on a gsxr overtook a line of cars and bikes who had slowed down for the limit and nearly wiped out a car pulling out of the junction, it's those ones that give everyone a bad name.

At what point does that quotation state that it is a legitimate manoevre to position your bike alongside and in the same lane as another vehicle?

As I said I don't have nor can I find online a copy of the new highway code which does state this as a legitimate manoevre, however it's widely known (except for you apparently) that filtering in stationary or slow moving traffic is recognised as a perfectly legal thing to do, I do it regularly past police cars and they don't bat an eyelid.

If you can find a copy of the new highway code and prove that it isn't legal fair enough I will admit I and every other motorcycle rider in the country are wrong, but I'm afraid I don't have the patience to argue about your incorrect and stupid rant any longer.

Unlike you, what I won't do is resort to the use of words which perfectly illustrate your intolerance and inpatience.

How are we as motorists expected to learn of our mistakes if bikers like you constantly berate us instead of taking the time to explain (with supporting documentation if necessary) the error of our ways?

Technically speaking as motorists you are supposed to know the law in order hold a driving licence, granted most drivers won't pay too much attention to the motorcycle rules part but still it's information that could be handy to know, for example it would make people aware that the bike in their mirror might very well carry on past them when they stop at a traffic light, and not to get angry about it and try to knock them off because they have done something wrong, but to understand that they are legally using their chosen vehicle to their advantage and cutting congestion by not adding to the queue.

I fully accept what you're saying.

My frustration comes from seeing what was happening in Ramsey all fortnight.

On many occasions bikers were pulling alongside stationary traffic at the Parliament Square traffic lights in the hope they could pull away quickly once the lights changed to green and despite the fact the some of those vehicles could well have been turning right across their intended direction of travel. Surely this isn't safe riding?

On many occasions bikers were pulling alongside stationary traffic at the Parliament Square traffic lights in the hope they could pull away quickly once the lights changed to green and despite the fact the some of those vehicles could well have been turning right across their intended direction of travel. Surely this isn't safe riding?

Ahh no that's different, those are the aforementioned knobbers I refered to! I'm not sure where the law stands on that but yes that would be considered dangerous riding, it's alright having one or two moving to the front of stationary traffic but when they start doing that then it becomes daft.

Ahh no that's different, those are the aforementioned knobbers I refered to! I'm not sure where the law stands on that but yes that would be considered dangerous riding, it's alright having one or two moving to the front of stationary traffic but when they start doing that then it becomes daft.

We got there in the end!!

Sorry for the lack of clarity in what I was saying.

As a driver would you expect a slow moving vehicle or a horse or a cyclist to stay or move to the left to allow you to pass where there was room to allow it ?

Expect? Definitely not.

ex·pect (k-spkt)
v. ex·pect·ed, ex·pect·ing, ex·pects 
v.tr.
a. To look forward to the probable occurrence or appearance of: expecting a telephone call; expects rain on Sunday.
b. To consider likely or certain: expect to see them soon. See Usage Note at anticipate.
2. To consider reasonable or due: We expect an apology.
3. To consider obligatory; require: The school expects its pupils to be on time.
4. Informal To presume; suppose.
v.intr.
1. To look forward to the birth of one's child. Used in progressive tenses: His sister is expecting in May.
2. To be pregnant. Used in progressive tenses: My wife is expecting again.

So you wouldn't look forward to some one being courteous ?

im racking my brains but I cant rememeber the last time i saw a biker doing a fast blind bend completely on their own side of the road.

Can the bikers on this forum explain whats the thought process of leaning your head into the oncoming traffic lane going round blind bends?

This isnt just a TT minority either this happens all year round. Is it part of your bike test to see how far across u can lean before ur head is decapitated?

ex·pect (k-spkt)
v. ex·pect·ed, ex·pect·ing, ex·pects 
v.tr.
a. To look forward to the [b]probable[/b] occurrence or appearance of: expecting a telephone call; expects rain on Sunday.
b. To consider [b]likely or certain[/b]: expect to see them soon. See Usage Note at anticipate.
2. To consider reasonable or due: We expect an apology.
3. To consider obligatory; require: The school expects its pupils to be on time.
4. Informal To presume; suppose.
v.intr.
1. To look forward to the birth of one's child. Used in progressive tenses: His sister is expecting in May.
2. To be pregnant. Used in progressive tenses: My wife is expecting again.

So you wouldn't look forward to some one being courteous ?

Ofcourse I would, but I think the key words here are "probable", "likely" or "certain".

I can't remember the last time a slow moving car/tractor/cyclist moved over to let me pass. And please don't get me started on horses...

Common courtesy, particularly on the road, is a thing of the past.

im racking my brains but I cant rememeber the last time i saw a biker doing a fast blind bend completely on their own side of the road.

Can the bikers on this forum explain whats the thought process of leaning your head into the oncoming traffic lane going round blind bends?

This isnt just a TT minority either this happens all year round. Is it part of your bike test to see how far across u can lean before ur head is decapitated?

Can't explain that as I never do it! I actually got pulled up on my test for riding too far to the line on corners and told that my head was over the line (hadn't really thought about it until then) make sure I don't do it anymore!

It's just bad riding - you are taught to be in control of your lane, riding slightly to the right of centre, so that no-one will try to force past you, as they might if you were riding near the gutter. Unfortunately, some riders fail to move to the left-hand side of the road for a right-hand corner to allow room for leaning over, forgetting how much of their body sticks up above the centreline of the bike.

I can't remember the last time a slow moving car/tractor/cyclist moved over to let me pass. And please don't get me started on horses...

I can remember 2 tractors in the past 6 weeks pulling in to let a line of card past.

If I'm in my car and there's double white lines and a motorcycle behind me I will almost always pull in a bit to let them get past me if they want to. I don't have any sort of macho bullshit problem with being overtaken.

Common courtesy, particularly on the road, is a thing of the past.

They why not try to bring it back and see if you can spread a bit of courtesy and decency around, it might catch on.

Anyway, I've just signed up for the Institute of Advanced Motorists course, which could be interesting.

i had a haulage driver pull in on the st marks road the other day, i was quite surprised most dont, but it was rushour traffic and he was going slow as anything so im extremlely greateful he did, otherwise someone would have taken a terrible risk, also had a tractor do it today, so there are some who do

if onll horse carriage drivers would pull in more often........theres one down south thats a right pain the arse, seem to always get stuck behind it, so many places it could have pulled in, but no its has to carry on, next time i might just report it, as im told you can if someone is going a lot slower than the limit and fails to pull in when safe to do so

Archived