[BBC News] Biker dies in crash on TT course

Newsbot

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What puzzles me is with a national speed limit in most countries why is there a need for cars/bikes to be built to specifically go faster than is legally allowed?

True Grit

economy?, although there may be a speed limit in most countries, there is no specified acceleration limit in G's or whatever. most vehicles have a 0-60 time listed and the quicker the better for some. IF you can get from 0-60 in 4 secs there is obviously a ton of power available so the vehicle is geared to maximise fuel effeciency at that speed in top gear. the fact that it can hit close to 200mph is an aside, but they do seem to quote top speeds too. perhaps that has something to do with people who intend to use the vehicle for legitimate racing events?? power does not necessarilly mean speed though, HGV's have tons of power and torque, but they can hardly be considered fast.

Hi

Obviously I am confused if one is not allowed to exceed say 70mph then why are vehicles sold/built to exceed that limit. If it was about fuel? economy would we not all be forced to ride bicycle's or even milk floats, just does not seem logical to me, hey what does/

True Grit

PS Please do not get me wrong I absolutely love speed in the combustion engine sense.

if you geared a vehicle for 70 mph, that would be at full revs, noone wants to be thrashing at the redline to reach 70 mph. you gear it to do 70 at economic revs, BUT the motor can rev more so more speed is available. one way to limit speed is with governors controlled by the speedo. my kids motorbike that is restricted has a magnet and reedswitch in the speedo. you can thrash/rev the bike up through the lower gears, but once the speed has reached 50 ish, the read switch turns on electronics that adjust the ignition and limit the revs. it may just about show 70 on the clock down the creg. if you derestrict it, it is geared for around 90 and would pull it fairly easily ( not that you'd want to be doing 90 on it!! ) the technology is there, the will isn't.

No I am confused at your own confusion as to my post (I think?).

If we as a nation (fair play not on the IOM YET) are only allowed to drive at a maximum of say 70mph, then why are we allowed to buy and drive vehicles that can do considerably more than that. In the UK and I stand to be corrected the max you can do legally is 70mph so why are we allowed to purchase vehicles that the law says we can not drive any faster than the law says.

Do we understand each other now, I have tuned up many a vehicle and have no real problem with speed (re speed I refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier post) but if we are told we can not drive at such speeds why are these vehicles allowed to be sold in such jurisdications. And a vehicle does not have to be geared to rev its arse to reach 70mph, maybe under considerable load (eg HGV) but not otherwise.

My gripe is the connecting logic.

True Grit

I agree true grit, why i love to drive more than 70 (when safe) it has always puzzled me as to why (when national speed restrictions occur) we are allowed cars that are more than capable to do so, yes it could be argued that it would be more of a big brother nanny state whatever but logically it makes sense, i mean its like it been legal to buy a gun but not legal to fire it

and yess its all fine saying well you might want to race it or drive on private land, but come on how many people actually do that with there cars?

im not saying that we all shouldnt have cars that can do more than 70 but it does make a bit sense.....maybe not so much over here but the day will come!

Apparently one bike braked hard when entering the 40 zone, a police car was parked up there,

so what speed did he intend to go at if the panda hadn't been there ?

There is no speed limit from KM until you reach the old people's complex just outside Ballaugh.

Which highway law did he actually break before crashing??

You have never needed to brake when approaching a slower limit than you were actually travelling at?

Apparently one bike braked hard when entering the 40 zone, a police car was parked up there,

so what speed did he intend to go at if the panda hadn't been there ?

There is no speed limit from KM until you reach the old people's complex just outside Ballaugh.

Which highway law did he actually break before crashing??

You have never needed to brake when approaching a slower limit than you were actually travelling at?

well unless you were already travelling at that speed or slower, then yes of course you would need to :P

No I am confused at your own confusion as to my post (I think?).

If we as a nation (fair play not on the IOM YET) are only allowed to drive at a maximum of say 70mph, then why are we allowed to buy and drive vehicles that can do considerably more than that. In the UK and I stand to be corrected the max you can do legally is 70mph so why are we allowed to purchase vehicles that the law says we can not drive any faster than the law says.

Do we understand each other now, I have tuned up many a vehicle and have no real problem with speed (re speed I refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier post) but if we are told we can not drive at such speeds why are these vehicles allowed to be sold in such jurisdications. And a vehicle does not have to be geared to rev its arse to reach 70mph, maybe under considerable load (eg HGV) but not otherwise.

My gripe is the connecting logic.

True Grit

My connecting logic ( or lack of ) is a bit flawed in that it assumes maximum revs for 70, BUT we are in the IOM so no 70 limit?? also, you could apply the shouldn't be allowed to by something that can break the law argument to guns. just cos something is capable of breaking the law doesn't mean you have to make it break the law. and what about when you get to douglas?? does some little mechanic rush up and swap engines or fiddle with your car so it can now only do 30 as thats the speed limit there?? i'd need 5 engine changes to get from work to home!! same with ships, there are speed limits in estuarys and harbours, should they be sorted too?? it is up to the driver to control the speed, and they should stick to the limits. even a pushbike can exceed the speed limit in town, whats the big cure for that??

I'm a bit late in commenting I know but

hate the lycra louts but on the other hand the other is French.
is about the most offensive post I've ever had the misfortune to read on this forum and it says a lot about the poster. I always fight for free speech but this is going too far. Ffs someone has been killed here and you are saying stuff like this. It's disgusting!

is about the most offensive post I've ever had the misfortune to read on this forum and it says a lot about the poster. I always fight for free speech but this is going too far. Ffs someone has been killed here and you are saying stuff like this. It's disgusting!

if only you could read what i didn't post?? that would fuck you off.

What happens when a drunk motorist goes to sleep at the wheel.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/story....jectid=10514103

shocking as the pic might be - what's the relevance?

Manxforum threads seem to have a habit of going 'off topic' - it seemed that we were onto assinine driving and the photo is an example of that (and a half)

If you are giong to quote me at least have the decency to use the full quote and include my name. Honestly the standard of hecklers is declining these days, I blame the failing education system. :whatever:

Archived