[BBC News] Biker dies in crash on TT course

Newsbot

Decency eh?

Your best bet would be to put it on ignore - judging by the general quality of posts so far you won't be missing much.

I did that once with a certain member who shall remain nameless, but after a while I felt like I was missing an integral part of ManxForums and un blocked, the troll / life balance was successfully restored :lol:

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was watching various footage on 'You tube' earlier and you could see bikes on both sides of the road on the mountain section and I presume that these were bikers from another country who ride on the right and forgot where they were or daft sods who should know better and keep to the left, unless they should have been overtaking.

It must make overtaking those who were out of position, just a bit dangerous! :(

I was watching various footage on 'You tube' earlier and you could see bikes on both sides of the road on the mountain section and I presume that these were bikers from another country who ride on the right and forgot where they were or daft sods who should know better and keep to the left, unless they should have been overtaking.

It must make overtaking those who were out of position, just a bit dangerous! :(

erm the mountain section is one way so I would expect them to use both sides

:D Hi Jimbms, I'm just saying that if people are riding their bikes on the right side of the road going slower than the normal traffic, they should be on the left, so that faster traffic can pass them. Otherwise, the risk of an incident must surely increase.

I know what you mean though and maybe I should have tried to explain it a bit better ;)

No the normal road rules still apply ie crosing wrigh lines and overtaking on duble wright lines will get you a tickit

ey'v seen sum dangerus spelin on dis fred :P

Dats cuz u dus not speek proply like wat us lot does, eaver edukashun iz goin darn ill or peepel r gerrin fiker

:D Hi Jimbms, I'm just saying that if people are riding their bikes on the right side of the road going slower than the normal traffic, they should be on the left, so that faster traffic can pass them. Otherwise, the risk of an incident must surely increase.

I know what you mean though and maybe I should have tried to explain it a bit better ;)

I see your point now thanks for clearing it up.

No the normal road rules still apply ie crosing wrigh lines and overtaking on duble wright lines will get you a tickit

i think they want things both ways. the double white lines are there to prevent overtaking in areas where there is limited visibillity for overtaking when the road is 2 way. they then make it 1 way but ofcourse the 2 way markings are still on the road and as they want you going slow and safe they say the 2 way markings apply!!?. you won't find another 1 way street/road on the planet with 2 carriage ways and double white lines for no overtaking.

on another note, as the mountain is one way for 'safety' reasons, will it also be one way for the MGP fortnight too?? it is for safety afterall?

on another note, as the mountain is one way for 'safety' reasons, will it also be one way for the MGP fortnight too?? it is for safety afterall?

I doubt it, it wasn't last year.

I doubt it, it wasn't last year.

obviously the manx can be dangerous then?? perhaps you can watch the action from ballaspur too??

That is a very dodgy sticking point for anyone getting done for crossing the white lines when the mountain is one way. For all intents and purposes, when the road becomes One Way, all carriageways are now SOUTHBOUND, so who is to state that you were not on the right hand southbound carriageway before the lines started?

And ANOTHER thing, the police have used the TT as a fundraiser for the extra police they have shipped in. They were stationed at the entrance to Rhen Cullen, approx 20 yards past the 30>40 mph limit sign pointing back towards Kirk Michael. Upon pulling one of our visitors, the liverpudlian copper stated he hadnt actually clocked the rider, then corrected himself and stated a speed of 59mph (29mph over the 30, 19 over the 40, which limit counts for starters) then sent him on his way with no charge sheet (no paperwork done basically) and was at no time shown any evidence that he had exceeded the limit.

He called the Police HQ to ask what was going on and was told the officer was busy, had denied sayign that he had not managed to 'clock' our visitor, and to report to the HQ the following day to find out how much he would be fined for his FIFTY THREE MPH reading! So that is a 6 mph discrepancy from the initial 'assessment'.

Add to this that according to some of our more learned visitors, laser handheld guns are and have never been tested and validated to be used on motorcycles as they need to be pointed at a flat surface which bikes dont have. MCN actually clocked a blackbird doing 34mph on its sidestand using the same type of gun.

Anything from a twitch in the officer's hand to the bike leaning can add up to a massive margin of error.

Sorry guys who are honest cops and just want to make the Island safer, but the overall strategy of the IOM Police this year has NOT stopped the minority of lunatics from wrapping themselves round anything and everything; between you and the DoT all you are achieving is causing so much resentment and annoyance that you are either going to kill the TT altogether, or wind up even the most sedate of riders into doing something rash.

Sorry guys who are honest cops and just want to make the Island safer, but the overall strategy of the IOM Police this year has NOT stopped the minority of lunatics from wrapping themselves round anything and everything; between you and the DoT all you are achieving is causing so much resentment and annoyance that you are either going to kill the TT altogether, or wind up even the most sedate of riders into doing something rash.

despite the pro TT drivel from government, i believe they are looking to end it after the 100th TT. by driving away people it will make the eventual decission seem justified both on safety and economy. it will be quite odd with the tourism minister bullshitting the figures are up and the rest of the planet knowing they are really down and falling yearly.

Archived