Manx Radio

manxmedia

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its time to start challenging Manx Radio News as it seems to be slipping more and more into a Government PR machine

Let me start the ball rolling:

From the MR website

More bikers than 2006 - official

Read that... its "official" yet the story actually goes on to say..

"However, Adrian Earnshaw believes there are more bikers on the Isle of Man than there were in 2006.

Question: How does that make it "official"?

I had an inkling that 2006 was mooted to be the worst June for many years that preceding it. I'm sure I read it at the time somewhere.

Yep

2006 was down on 2005

http://www.iomguide.com/news/general-news.php?story=101076

and 2005 was massively down on 2004

http://www.iomguide.com/news/general-news.php?story=100235

So, why are the viewing visitor numbers down?

Just noticed that vehicle numbers did not drop at anywhere near the same rate as passengers though.

It just shows that "up on 2006" figures (if you even believe that) is saying things are up against a very poor year. I'd like to go back furrther but passengers in June 2006 were 42,000 less than in June 2004 and cars and motorcycles were 3,500 down. So why rejoice in saying you "believe" figures are up against a really terrible year.

The job of politics and PR is to find something positive to say - 'figures up on 2006' is much more upbeat than 'diabolical turnout after centenary success'.

And one of the jobs of the media is to report on what the politicians say - whether they're truthful or a complete obfuscation of the facts will usually come back to bite the perpetrator in the arse sooner or later. Like Bush and Blair and their mythical weapons of mass destruction...

In reporting, we all try to provide balance. If the Minister says it's all lovely, we'd need someone knowledgeable to refute that...but where most of the island is broadly supportive of the TT, that would perhaps be a bit like shooting yourself in the foot.

Again, don't shoot the messenger, manxmedia. If you'd like to break cover and talk on the radio about what YOU believe, just give me a call.

The job of politics and PR is to find something positive to say - 'figures up on 2006' is much more upbeat than 'diabolical turnout after centenary success'.

No politics is the process by which groups make decisions it has nothing to do with PR.

If the Minister says it's all lovely, we'd need someone knowledgeable to refute that

Or maybe just take a cursory look at the actual statistics like journalists might be inclined to do?

Off topic and a bit serious, but I couldn't let it go:

Like Bush and Blair and their mythical weapons of mass destruction...

Tony is still doing well out of that one though isn't he

. . . . not quite so for the lads who have come home and are still coming home in a box or body bag, their families, and also all the innocent Iraqis killed.

. . . . and the perpetrator's arse is well out of the way now.

Perhaps Tony is now embracing Catholicism to try and purge his heavy guilt and plead for absolution.

There has been many a murderer and terrorist has gone down that route.

Right, where were we? Back to the REAL issues in life.

Something about Isle of Man tourist figures for TT 2008 . . . .

I wonder how impartial our local media can be when they rely so heavily on govt funding. MR is state funded apart from those awful reptitive adds (Richmond and shopshite et al) and look at the coverage of advertising for govt jobs etc in the newspapers, the bill for that must keep IOM newspapers afloat. (Incidently, do they really need to take up whole pages for a** wiper required at nobles sorry cleansing operative!!! )They're not gonna bite the hand that feeds them, maybe just the occasional nibble to keep us of the scent!!

i listen to energy fm now just for the race updates. the guys on there have a good banter between them and the reports are spot on. they also have a good deal of knowledge about the riders and teams. keep it up guys, but keep that chris guy off the air and stop him hogging the mike

I wonder how impartial our local media can be when they rely so heavily on govt funding. MR is state funded apart from those awful reptitive adds (Richmond and shopshite et al) and look at the coverage of advertising for govt jobs etc in the newspapers, the bill for that must keep IOM newspapers afloat. (Incidently, do they really need to take up whole pages for a** wiper required at nobles sorry cleansing operative!!! )They're not gonna bite the hand that feeds them, maybe just the occasional nibble to keep us of the scent!!

It's a shame you can't engage brain before typing. In fact being in the monopoly situation puts Isle of Man Newspapers in a very good position when it comes to resisting attempts to influence editorial policy. Most government adverts have to appear by law in the local press. In the case of papers in the UK, that means keeping the local council sweet enough to keep advertising with you rather than your competition (I've seen good stories pulled because it would piss the local authority off too much). Here in the Island if the government were to threaten to withdraw its advertising over a story you run, you can call their bluff.

So, in fact, the hand that feeds them is forced to do so whether or not it gets bitten, nipped, mangled and torn to shreds. But don't let that get in the way of your tinfoil-hat paranoia.

(Edited by the Manx Intelligence Agency for doublespeak)

I don't think it's particularly busier than your normal year, in fact the roads have seemed pretty quiet to me.

However, when you are looking at general arrival figures through the Port, you have to consider how TT falls. For instance the vast majority of the TT traffic comes in from Wed / Thurs of practive week. In 2006 Thursday was the 1st June, so stuff arriving earlier in practice week would be in May figures.

Likewise, this year with Mad Sunday being on the Ist June, most of the traffic will arrive in May, but leave in June. So looking at June in isolation will skew the figures.

Conversley next year, almost everything will arrive in June, as the dates shift by a week nearly.

Also, more and more people are just coming for the main 'weekend'. As they can often only get sailings in on the Wednesday / Thursday (Friday being peak), they can only afford / want to stay until the Monday / Tuesday, so there is a big drop off in numbers by the Wednesday race day.

I thought VIP tickets got you into the grandstand? The tables are just for noshing and free booze before and after I think. So they would have been watching from the grandstand.

If it is as you say regarding visitors for TT i wonder how come there have not been as many sailings from Liverpool this TT period as last year.Each morning last year the fast craft were both in the river at 6.30 in the morning.

It's a shame you can't engage brain before typing. In fact being in the monopoly situation puts Isle of Man Newspapers in a very good position when it comes to resisting attempts to influence editorial policy.

Get you! clearly you work in the media. Maybe you should check out this you tube post from the local PAG group and to quote you, "Try engaging your brain till the end to hear how some journalists feel on the Island!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vmAF2gYKGfY

clearly you work in the media.

Clearly you can read - I said I've seen stories pulled, which might give you a bit of a clue.

And as for Gavin MacFadyen, he's not a local journalist - and as a journalist who spoke to him, I didn't mention any government interference so I wouldn't place too much store on what's said there. Now, if you'd found somebody in the local media, with evidence the government interferes in the journalistic process, then I'd be listening to you. Instead you trot out a guest being interviewed by his grateful hosts and making a point that's *in his interest* to make.

No matter what dark forces you suspect are at work to crush the press freedom you enjoy here, the fact remains there's less interference with Island journalists than I've seen in years of working across different mediums for different companies in the UK.

Now then... do you KNOW different? Or are you just spouting ignorant nonsense?

Archived