[BBC News] Cow wanders onto TT racing roads

Newsbot

Hehe.. I was there, and it was quite amusing (except from the point of view of the poor young heifer involved!)

The marshals seemed to see the animal jump down from the field above the road, but initially had a '500 pound gorilla' moment and appeared to me to refuse to acknowledge what was happening in front of them!

Proof if needs be that people will sometimes be slow to respond to something which is too far outside what they are expecting to see. It was pretty surreal!

Just a few minutes before this event Klaffi had pulled out of the sidecar practice after an engine blowout and was sat on the grass at Cronk ny Mona, covered in oil and with a face like thunder. As soon as the cow showed up he just had this huge grin all over his face. Proof of the old racers' superstition that 'everything happens for a reason', no doubt... It was amazingly lucky that no bikes came through while the beast was on the loose.

I remember a TT rider being killed as he collided, at nearly full whack, straight into a horse/pony that had escaped on to the course on the approach to Ramsey (1985/6 I think). This cow escaping needs to be fully investigated.

I think the horse was spooked by the helicopter at that time and jumped the gate. I remember it as it came over the radio with the words "Oh my god there's a horse on the course" then silence.

Archived