[BBC News] TT visitors down from centenary

Newsbot

Is this the best thread to put this?

Mods - Feel free to move if it sits better anywhere else.

9th June 2008

PRESS RELEASE

TT PASSENGER FIGURES

The Isle of Man Steam Packet Company can confirm that passenger figures for TT 2008 show an increase from those of TT 2006.

2006 Figures

30791 passengers, 4359 vehicles, 9625 bikes

Total vehicles = 13984

2008 Figures

31038 passengers, 4556 vehicles, 9555 bikes

Total vehicles = 14111

Chief Executive, Mark Woodward said: “While it would be almost impossible to match the number of visitors we had for the TT Centenary, compared to 2006, the figures show a steady increase in ferry passengers for the festival. I’m pleased to say that TT 2008 was a great success for the racing and for us, with clement weather and all sailings running pretty much to schedule”.

There appear to have been a lot more vans this year than before. Does this account for the increase in "vehicles" and the decrease in bikes?

I have heard a few comments about it being cheaper to bring a couple of bikes in a van than bring the bikes separately. Is there any truth in that?

There also seem to have been a lot more camper vans, including a few Manx registered ones that were parked along the Prom for days on end. Do the time restrictions on parking there get removed for TT?

It's been cheaper for years by shoving 3 or 4 bikes in a van.

On top tariffs:

4 peeps, plus 4 M/C = £728

4 peeps, plus 1 Van = £514

Thats a fair difference. Plus they can kip in the van!

Oh, plus the fuel surcharge of course.

I'd be interested to see the stats for the direction of travel. We've pretty much always escaped the island for TT week, and it used to be a real quiet boat going against the flow of visitors. This year the boat was packed leaving the island, so packed that I couldn't get a space for my family to sit together.

Saw lots of manxies while away too.

we had visitors in vans with up to 4 motorcycles n each, so the figure of under 10K bikes over on the roads is a little skewed by the racket's report.

I'd be interested to see the stats for the direction of travel. We've pretty much always escaped the island for TT week, and it used to be a real quiet boat going against the flow of visitors. This year the boat was packed leaving the island, so packed that I couldn't get a space for my family to sit together.

"Figures released by the Steam Packet show that the ferries carried 31,038 passengers to the Island for this year's races, up 247 from the 2006 figures of 30,791."

From iomtoday: http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Steam-Packe...-for.4168865.jp

"Figures released by the Steam Packet show that the ferries carried 31,038 passengers to the Island for this year's races, up 247 from the 2006 figures of 30,791."

From iomtoday: http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Steam-Packe...-for.4168865.jp

Yes but it does not answer the question which is does that the figure only included those travelling out from the UK and returning to the UK in the period or does it include the likes of me who came back on the Monday of race week with a car having travelled out on the Saturday of practice week

we had visitors in vans with up to 4 motorcycles n each, so the figure of under 10K bikes over on the roads is a little skewed by the racket's report.

As it would have been in previous years.

Personal observation: fewer bikes and fewer visitors than I can ever remember.

Yes but it does not answer the question which is does that the figure only included those travelling out from the UK and returning to the UK in the period or does it include the likes of me who came back on the Monday of race week with a car having travelled out on the Saturday of practice week

Ah, I see.

Though, unless the SP recorded everyone's reason for travel, such figure would be impossible to determine, I would have thought.

I'll be in those figures twice as I made two trips across / back in TT week.

One thing that I noticed on the boats that won't have led to a reduction this year but might next year was the publication of all the prohibited areas. First up I was given the nice little A5 booklet with loads of adverts but quite a few pages devoted to telling you where not to go. Then I picked up a copy of a motorcyle racing newspaper. In the middle was a tabloid sized multi page TT supplement obviously paid for by us (as opposed to being an article written about the TT) The cover and first couple of pages were quite good but then the other 12 odd pages were solely devoted to where you couldn't go.

I read both of these publications and they left me with an impression of a place more interested in telling you what you couldn't do than what you can. Isn't it obviously better to mention that areas will be taped off etc but then emphasise all the great places to watch in (relative) safety ?

Whose smart idea was it to spend so much time and effort (not to mention cash) on this ?

Ah, I see.

Though, unless the SP recorded everyone's reason for travel, such figure would be impossible to determine, I would have thought.

In detail yes, but I am sure it is easy to pick up and differentiate between returns from the IoM and Returns to the IoM over the period.

Archived