Big Boat In The Bay!

Mission

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not as impressive as i thought it would be, on the news it showed pictures of some massive shiny aircraft carrier (obviously american) and as i've never seen this one before I figured it would look slightly like that! Ark Royal is quite a dramatic name for a rusty old boat with a couple of bits of mdf on the top to make a flat deck! :lol:

Well, I was on Captain Carter's boat, and boy did it get a bit choppy! Seacat was the worst though, captain didn't power down when he knew that there was likely to be many small craft out for the AR, so we got hit pretty badly by the wash!

not the best pics with my mobile... must get a decent camera one day....

Shame AR didn't appear earlier when the light was better

Still, wasn't as impressive as I'd hoped, considering it's the flagship of the British Navy..... however, I wouldn't like to go to war against it in MV Karina, but I'd take my chances in the Ben!!!! sizewise they didn't appear dramatically different.... :)

post-225-1213089722_thumb.jpg

post-225-1213089798_thumb.jpg

post-225-1213089827_thumb.jpg

post-225-1213089855_thumb.jpg

I believe (if they ever get built) that the RN's new carriers (of which there will be 2 iirc) will be something in the region of 42,000 tonnes as opposed to the 20,000 odd tonnes of the Invincible Class carriers.

In fairness, these are still pretty impressive when you're passing them on a boat or stood next to them when they're tied up. I've been on the Illustrious before (Portsmouth Navy Day, back in the 80's) and it was big enough, trust me.

There's a programme on C5 each Monday night about Illustrious at 9pm if anyone is interested.

I believe (if they ever get built) that the RN's new carriers (of which there will be 2 iirc) will be something in the region of 42,000 tonnes as opposed to the 20,000 odd tonnes of the Invincible Class carriers.

In fairness, these are still pretty impressive when you're passing them on a boat or stood next to them when they're tied up. I've been on the Illustrious before (Portsmouth Navy Day, back in the 80's) and it was big enough, trust me.

There's a programme on C5 each Monday night about Illustrious at 9pm if anyone is interested.

I'm pretty sure the quote is 62,000 tonnes give or take? However it pans out, they will be far more impressive, not to say the current (pretty much may as well be) helicopter carriers arn't....

Oh - am I late to the party?

Well, I was on Captain Carter's boat, and boy did it get a bit choppy!

Spot yourself :)

th_Ark01.jpg

A question for the Tourism & Leisure Minister: Just how starved of entertainment are we when the arrival of a ship gets thbis kind of reaction?

post-1037-1213048539_thumb.jpg

I guess that would explain this then

th_Ark02.jpg

Well, I was on Captain Carter's boat, and boy did it get a bit choppy! Seacat was the worst though, captain didn't power down when he knew that there was likely to be many small craft out for the AR, so we got hit pretty badly by the wash!

Perhaps they got the accelerator pedal stuck down! Seacat has stayed in Douglas for some reason today - must be in the naughty chair.

Maybe he's got lense envy dude. :)

not at all, I can produce similar size images if I am not careful and reduce them to something sensible, I am just sick and tired of clicking on 'new posts' and downloading the previous 200megs of images which I have seen before just to read the last comment on the thread :angry:

try this

not at all, I can produce similar size images if I am not careful and reduce them to something sensible, I am just sick and tired of clicking on 'new posts' and downloading the previous 200megs of images which I have seen before just to read the last comment on the thread :angry:

try this

somewhat of an over reaction but I get your point...I shall try to be more careful next time.... :(

Oh - am I late to the party?

Well, I was on Captain Carter's boat, and boy did it get a bit choppy!

Spot yourself :)

Bloody hell!! after having seen that, I am the one with the brown trousers at the back :D

But the the majority of the images in this thread are attached and only show a thumbnail (about 4-5kb) so your not downloading the whole pic. Even the thumbnail gives a clue with '3872 x 2592 (2.72MB)' written on it, so if you where that fucking clever you wouldn't open it. Never mind eh...

Archived