Tt Tv Coverage

Dunroamin

Has anyone watched the completely useless ITV coverage of the TT?

A friend of mine, who missed out on a chance to race in the TT some years aog through anunfortunate set of circumstances, asked me to record the output on TV this year for him so that he can see what he has missed out on having not been able to get to the IOM.

Tonight's coverage in a half hour show consisted of precisely 9 minutes racing in a most incoherent fashion.

The rest of the time was taken up with same old interviews as every night plus, of course, the usual 12 minutes of advertising that ITV now goes for in every 30 minutes.

I hope that ITV are not being paid to carry this rubbish and that the authorities seek a new carrier for the future.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not been that bad but if you're that miffed with it the BBC NI coverage has been very good.

I did enjoy the on board footage of Guy Martin's lap last year on the ITV 2008 preview show though, despite the fact that Martin comes across as completely bonkers it was one of the best commentaries from a rider I've seen.

Anyone know if that footage with Martin's commentary is available on DVD? I know the lap is on the On Bike TT Experience 6 DVD but i don't think it has his commentary

The racing over here is extremely hard to shoot, it's not like F1 where you get 70 laps. Today there were (admit ignorance) 3/4 laps. It's extremely hard to get footage without spending big.

Of course it is, there are too many distractions, I was stood at quarterbridge, the TV camera man had is equipment set up for 3/4 of the race but was too distracted by the blonde he was chatting up, the cheese butty he was eating and the pint in his hand, but give him his due he did manage to get at least 5 bikes on the last lap.

The racing over here is extremely hard to shoot, it's not like F1 where you get 70 laps. Today there were (admit ignorance) 3/4 laps. It's extremely hard to get footage without spending big.

Of course it is, there are too many distractions, I was stood at quarterbridge, the TV camera man had is equipment set up for 3/4 of the race but was too distracted by the blonde he was chatting up, the cheese butty he was eating and the pint in his hand, but give him his due he did manage to get at least 5 bikes on the last lap.

Watched it myself last night and was not impressed at all. Did not Sky Sports cover it one year and did they not do a better job, then i think Men & Motors covered it a couple of years back also gave good coverage.

I don't see what all the fuss is about, you'll see far more of the action on the TV than you will standing at one point on the course and you don't have to be hanging around for hours to do so.

I'm not a huge fan of bikes but I've watched most of the shows and I've seen bikes off the start, bikes going through various points of the course, aerial shots and pit stops in each show.

Granted the coverage could be longer but hey, it's on every night so you can't really complain. They've not failed to show coverage of a race yet this year have they?

Greenlight do a fantastic job covering the TT - it must be one of the most difficult live sporting events in the world to cover, yet they manage to convey all the drama and excitement...and have it on air within hours of the race finishing. They have a very dedicated team in Tromode who work bloody hard...without them you'd be lucky to get a couple of minutes a year of the champagne spray and maybe a couple of corners on Grandstand.

I do wish they didn't have to use third string presenters though - Janie Wotsit isn't too bad, but Mike Brewer has built a career on being a crafty cockney dodgy car dealer who rejoices in cutting corners, and the airtime he hogs with his hilarious comedy routines would be better filled with bike action or more interviews. But I don't know if the 'talent' is a client requirement - I'd rather leave it to Richard Nichols who seems to have Castrol R running through his veins...

Of course, it's easy to be a critic - so I'll qualify my comments by saying I don't know what their brief is, rather than just bitch that they didn't have 75 cameras, four blimps, eight helicopters and a homing pigeon-cam.

Honestly, if you're able to watch ITV 4 then you'll be able to watch BBC NI coverage. Loads of bike footage without the crap interviews and annoying presenters. Oh and they broadcast the race on the day it was raced, rather than this ITV4 malarky of showing the race from days ago. And i think it's still done by Greenlight (Nichols is the commentator anyway)

Unfortunately they don't seem to be showing the Sidecars which is a shame as they've missed a couple of good races.

It's on at 22:00 tomorrow, channel 992 i think (just scan the BBC channels in the number range and you'll find it)

Honestly, if you're able to watch ITV 4 then you'll be able to watch BBC NI coverage.

Not wanting to argue the toss but I can't get BBC NI on my freeview box here.

Not that it really bothers me but for those that don't like the ITV4 coverage, it might be an issue for them.

Sorry forgot you guys get freeview up there, it's shite signal everywhere else though. I was assuming most of those who've watched it are using sky to get it.

Archived