Creg Na Baa

Rab

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Insurance-f...n-TT.4104611.jp

"Any landowner who refuses to accept the prohibited or restricted designation and then invites spectators into these areas, whether for payment or a donation to charity, is likely to be considered to be acting recklessly and may therefore invalidate their own public liability insurance in the unfortunate event of a spectator being injured in one of these areas.'

He added: 'I can however confirm that in all other areas, provided that landowners are not making a charge for spectators to use their land, then their NFU Mutual public liability policies will operate as normal.

'In the event of any commercial activity being undertaken that would not form part of a policyholder's normal business they need to specifically advise us and agree additional liability coverage.'"

charging spectators to access the land up to Kates would fall into the above

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Calling all PROWL members

Where are you?

I am not sure as age may have wearied the brain cells but at the time Bob McIntrye and Mike Hailwood were racing on the island, i watched some of the races from the Creg, i cannot recall anyone being charged for anything other than beer and refreshments, also i cannot recall there having been any hikes in prices either by the steam packet or anyone else. Times have changed since then, there were i think 8 vessels on service through out the summer season and the crossing from Liverpool took 4 hours.

Hope i havent given my age away.

It was free, and you could even earn a load of dosh as an 11 year-old bringing back empty bottle to the pub - 1969 - a great summer :-) 2d a bottle as I remember.

Actually, in the the days of Ray Amm, Duke, Bob McIntyre, Hartle, Trow, Brett and Surtees et al - the owner of the field below the Creg used to charge 2/6d entrance and we used to whinge then about what a rip off it was. We used to watch from the next field down, free, and after the race, run down to the nearest farmhouse to find out from the BBC commentary who had actually won.

That spot was the best - the intermingling exhaust notes of two Manx Nortons, combined with the smell of Castrol R is the greatest sensory experience ever. And (as Murray Walker said on ITV4 last night - the sight and sound, in 1957 of Bob Mac (78) catching and passing Surtees (64) right in front of us, will never be forgotten. Gilera and MV swapping exhaust notes. Fantastic.

And then the pop bottle run was the main income for the summer.

Calling all PROWL members

Where are you?

I am not sure as age may have wearied the brain cells but at the time Bob McIntrye and Mike Hailwood were racing on the island, i watched some of the races from the Creg, i cannot recall anyone being charged for anything other than beer and refreshments, also i cannot recall there having been any hikes in prices either by the steam packet or anyone else. Times have changed since then, there were i think 8 vessels on service through out the summer season and the crossing from Liverpool took 4 hours.

Hope i havent given my age away.

It was free, and you could even earn a load of dosh as an 11 year-old bringing back empty bottle to the pub - 1969 - a great summer :-) 2d a bottle as I remember.

I am on the Wirral. I spent many a good holiday on the island as a child and as a young man, even had my family over in the 70s. I returned last year for the first time since the 70s,with my two children and had a more enjoyable holiday than in years gone by. I am returning again this year with my two children. Keep a watch out for a guy with no legs having a swim in the sea at the beginning of September, that will be me.

Archived