Pothole Watch

WilDDog

Shopshite, Little Swiss, Douglas.

Exit from the shop, garage, houses, right hand lane at the roundabout now looks like the Somme.

Even made a loud 'bump' in my Vitara shed.

Awful road, looks like they've attempted a repair, looks awful and is now even bumpier, one pot hole in particular is about 1sq foot and makes an awful clonk in my car, to go round it is possible but only if there aren't any cars coming the other way! :o

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The road in the South between Ballachurry Corner and bottom of Ballakillowey roundabout is another disgrace. Not pothole wise because it has been resurfaced (for some unknown reason). It floods each time it rains now. For 40 years that I know of, previously that road was ok.

Hint: - water runs downwards.

• 3 weeks later...

CYCLISTS and MOTORCYCLISTS IN RAMSEY BEWARE. Derby Road & West Quay, a concrete road probably laid during or before WW2? The slabs of concrete have settled forming a "kerb" running down the middle of the road in places.

A car pulling out of a parking space without seeing me, caused me to move out to avoid it. I found my cycle would not respond to steering as the front wheel had got caught by the concrete lip of over an inch high. I managed to jump the front wheel over but not the back :o In the end I had to stop and get off. Same problem for smaller motorcycles I should think.

I told them at the town hall but they said I had to contact DOT personally. They said no good ringing the DOT people as they do not act on phone calls but only on correctly addressed letters and then only if addressed to the correct regional department for your area. It seems protocol is more important than road safety. :(

Before anyone bleats about cyclists getting a free ride, yes, I do pay road tax and I do have good day riding lights and a bell.

N.B. On a related matter. D.O.T. do not maintain roads up to the kerb and for this reason cyclists cannot safely ride in or near the gutter unless on a mountain bike, so motorists and sleighs :santa: need to give a bit of extra clearance.

CYCLISTS and MOTORCYCLISTS IN RAMSEY BEWARE. Derby Road & West Quay, a concrete road probably laid during or before WW2? The slabs of concrete have settled forming a "kerb" running down the middle of the road in places.

A car pulling out of a parking space without seeing me, caused me to move out to avoid it. I found my cycle would not respond to steering as the front wheel had got caught by the concrete lip of over an inch high. I managed to jump the front wheel over but not the back :o In the end I had to stop and get off. Same problem for smaller motorcycles I should think.

I told them at the town hall but they said I had to contact DOT personally. They said no good ringing the DOT people as they do not act on phone calls but only on correctly addressed letters and then only if addressed to the correct regional department for your area. It seems protocol is more important than road safety. :(

Before anyone bleats about cyclists getting a free ride, yes, I do pay road tax and I do have good day riding lights and a bell.

N.B. On a related matter. D.O.T. do not maintain roads up to the kerb and for this reason cyclists cannot safely ride in or near the gutter unless on a mountain bike, so motorists and sleighs :santa: need to give a bit of extra clearance.

Seems you have been told lies, if you ring the operations section of D.o.T. they will action it a letter is not required and there is no set protocol unless it is a planning application. On a second not the highway is maintained upto and in many cases including the footpath. It may help you you check facts before spreading falsehoods.

Seems you have been told lies, if you ring the operations section of D.o.T. they will action it a letter is not required and there is no set protocol unless it is a planning application. On a second not the highway is maintained upto and in many cases including the footpath. It may help you you check facts before spreading falsehoods.

No way do I want to spread a falsehood and that is why forums are so useful because they help to get to the bottom of things. Certainly the Town Hall staff in Ramsey need to be informed by the D.O.T. that there is a hotline for the public to ring. Maybe a small poster would be a good idea?

Re the gutters. Obviously they are supposed to be maintained correctly but the fact is they are not but you would have to send a member of the D.O.T. out on a bicycle to appreciate the problem, which would not be noticed from the comfortable cab of a heavy lorry. I just thought it a good idea to tell motorists because they must curse cyclists who ride well out from the gutter or swerve to avoid bad spots.

In the case of the quayside in Ramsey, the D.O.T. must already know the situation better than any bystander and I appreciate this will be a large, expensive and disruptive job to rectify, so why do they not place warning signs up for the time being, this being a more dangerous situation than most of the "ramps" which do have warnings?

On the plus side I praise the D.O.T. for the amazing job they do to maintain the huge mileage of roads and lanes on the Island, recently in the most impossible weather situation, something we all take too much for granted and I wish them all a Happy Christmas and New Year.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived