Pothole Watch

WilDDog

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Highfield Crescent up at Birchill Onchan is basically falling apart with the number of potholes that have appeared the last 6 months.

They have repaired most of the pot holes, but on the corners they have left the special present of so much crap it's like an off road gravel circuit now.

Not a pot hole but another potentially dangerous disaster from the DoT.

The road from Ballakillowey Roundabout to Ballachurry Corner between colby and Port Erin has been fine for 40 years that I know of. The DoT resurfaced it and now there are two areas that flood quite badly.

post-1345-1233314012_thumb.jpg

post-1345-1233314038_thumb.jpg

There is a big pothole on the Jurby Road, Ramsey side of St Judes Crossroads, if you are travelling towards Ramsey from St Judes. My sister came off her bike there, as the road has sunk badly and she caught the ridge where the level has dropped and caused a lip, it was nearly dark and although she had lights on, did not see it in time, caught the ridge on the surface and threw her off the bike. Won't be long before the area that is breaking up gets a lot worse.

There is a big pothole on the Jurby Road, Ramsey side of St Judes Crossroads, if you are travelling towards Ramsey from St Judes. My sister came off her bike there, as the road has sunk badly and she caught the ridge where the level has dropped and caused a lip, it was nearly dark and although she had lights on, did not see it in time, caught the ridge on the surface and threw her off the bike. Won't be long before the area that is breaking up gets a lot worse.

I hope your sister reported it to the Police and then rang the D.O.T up and told them what caused the accident.

Then if done in the correct fashion I would have thought she could take proceedings against the D.O.T.

I hope your sister reported it to the Police and then rang the D.O.T up and told them what caused the accident.

Then if done in the correct fashion I would have thought she could take proceedings against the D.O.T.

She was quite badly shaken to even think about it and was given the impression she would be wasting her time, so didn't want the frustration of it all. She was told, if the DoT know about the road sinking there and intend to repair it sometime, she couldn't make a claim, so all sounded like everything would be against her, she's too sensitive and think she was just relieved there hadn't been a car behind her when she fell off her bike, as she could have ended up under someone's wheels. I agree with what she was saying and glad she had her mobile phone with her, so at least could ring me so I could go out and collect her. Just hope no one else falls there now.

She was quite badly shaken to even think about it and was given the impression she would be wasting her time, so didn't want the frustration of it all. She was told, if the DoT know about the road sinking there and intend to repair it sometime, she couldn't make a claim, so all sounded like everything would be against her, she's too sensitive and think she was just relieved there hadn't been a car behind her when she fell off her bike, as she could have ended up under someone's wheels. I agree with what she was saying and glad she had her mobile phone with her, so at least could ring me so I could go out and collect her. Just hope no one else falls there now.

Well I'm sure the dot have a duty of care and if something like that happened and they know about it, or new about it before hand, I would have thought they could be held accountable.

I'm no lawyer but I'm sure there must be someone on the forum that'll know.

Well I'm sure the dot have a duty of care and if something like that happened and they know about it, or new about it before hand, I would have thought they could be held accountable.

I'm no lawyer but I'm sure there must be someone on the forum that'll know.

It's what the DoT said when I rang them, unless someone there gave me wrong information, may try finding out a bit more. She didn't take photos of the road either, so would have to be quick incase they repair the area and she has no evidence.

Something similar happened to a member of my family a few years ago

There had been an accident on Fishers Hill the DOT had coned the area off.

Sometime during the night one of the boulders had rolled onto the road and when

they came round the corner the following morning which was dark and wet and no lighting on the road

they hit the boulder which actually wrote off the car. due to uneconomical repair. also they were only 3rd party insurance.

The reply from the DOT was it had nothing to do with them, as they had coned off the area and made it safe!

We even sent photo's of where the boulder lay in the roadway.

Archived