Pothole Watch

WilDDog

post-1345-1233413417_thumb.jpg

This is on a pavement in Victoria Road, Douglas opposite Eurocycles. The pavement has been like this since the famous gas upgrades a few years ago.

I took the photo after a lady tripped and broke her nose and was taken to hospital. I phoned Manx Gas and they said they would attend to the matter.

Nothing has been done. In places in the UK this sort of thing would be a nice little compo earner but on the Isle of Man we have to accept this sort of thing.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is on a pavement in Victoria Road, Douglas opposite Eurocycles. The pavement has been like this since the famous gas upgrades a few years ago.

I took the photo after a lady tripped and broke her nose and was taken to hospital. I phoned Manx Gas and they said they would attend to the matter.

Nothing has been done. In places in the UK this sort of thing would be a nice little compo earner but on the Isle of Man we have to accept this sort of thing.

Most people only get results if they make a nuisance of themselves but I would give up before I got to that far, think safety is more important than creating roundabouts, probably less money involved too

• 2 weeks later...
Id like to add "The entire fucking road" from Bungalow through Tholt y wil until you reach Sulby. Between Dodging sheep and potholes , it feels like im playing Colin McRae rally!

With a lot more traffic now the prison is open, quite a busy route, certainly wakes you up in the morning but not the T.T. course, so doesn't matter!!

Why would it not be a compo earner, is the law different in this respect?

Why would it not be a compo earner, is the law different in this respect?

I rang Manx Gas and they said it wasn't theirs!!

Maybe so, it's just that the cutting goes from the road to an external gas meter. It has been there from the time when all the gas work was carried out in houses due to the change of gas.

Perhaps the DoT might be bothered about it? They should be.

Maybe so, it's just that the cutting goes from the road to an external gas meter. It has been there from the time when all the gas work was carried out in houses due to the change of gas.

Perhaps the DoT might be bothered about it? They should be.

If nobody seems to want to bother then maybe paint over the area and mark it so that people avoid it. I don't know, not sure what you can do, just thinking off the top of my head. Depends how much it matters, but it would seem to if someone has broken their nose.

Directly opposite the MT offices up on Braddan Industrial Estate. That ones had my front left wheel twice in a month , and theres only so much the suspension on a 12yr old Micra can take.

I mentioned that one to my Uncle who works for the DOT, when I was up there but he said it's not adopted, so nothing can be done

Directly opposite the MT offices up on Braddan Industrial Estate. That ones had my front left wheel twice in a month , and theres only so much the suspension on a 12yr old Micra can take.

I mentioned that one to my Uncle who works for the DOT, when I was up there but he said it's not adopted, so nothing can be done

if the roads through the business park are not adopted, the DoT have a bit of a nerve using it as part of their ring inner link road, let them do up the road up behind the Cooil Chapel LD

apart from that, just been on a bit of a runaround this morning and the roads are generally chronic, humps, bumps, potholes, ruts everywhere, I'd have run out of paper writing them all down !

You're lucky to have a car with some suspension! In mine if you run over a coin you can tell whether it heads or tails uppermost.

Maybe the roads here are sponsored by Citroen?

71665.jpg

if the roads through the business park are not adopted, the DoT have a bit of a nerve using it as part of their ring inner link road, let them do up the road up behind the Cooil Chapel LD

apart from that, just been on a bit of a runaround this morning and the roads are generally chronic, humps, bumps, potholes, ruts everywhere, I'd have run out of paper writing them all down !

Don't think the DOT are bothered about industrial estates, the one around B&Q has been rough since it was developed and getting worse all the time

• 2 weeks later...

Don't think the DOT are bothered about industrial estates, the one around B&Q has been rough since it was developed and getting worse all the time

As previously said by another if a road is not adopted as a highway then it is up to the tennants on that road to maintain it, a road is not adopted until it has been built to a minimum standard and in most case had a bond on it for a period in case of any defects, you will find in most cases where the road is unadopted the reason is a) it has never been offered for adoption by the developer or b) it does not reach minimum standards. I n both cases any complains can only be to the owner of the said road which is usualy the property that afronts that section.

Archived