[BBC News] Bikers are 'racing' on Manx roads

Newsbot

its not just speed thats a problem during TT, i was stuck behind a pensioner from ballaugh to kirk michael. his average speed was 20mph. bikes were taking more risks just to overtake this idiot, and one car overtook two cars me and the pensioner pulling into oncoming bikes to do so. if you are that affraid to drive during tt keep off the roads or get the bus.

its not just speed thats a problem during TT, i was stuck behind a pensioner from ballaugh to kirk michael. his average speed was 20mph. bikes were taking more risks just to overtake this idiot, and one car overtook two cars me and the pensioner pulling into oncoming bikes to do so. if you are that affraid to drive during tt keep off the roads or get the bus.

What a tolerant little chappie you are.

These are PUBLIC roads - slow drivers, tractors, cyclists, horse & carts, walkers - are ALL entitled to use them. Anyway, maybe the pensioner wasn't afraid - just enjoying his drive, or on a necessary journey. I had to pick a new born baby up from The Jane on Mad Sunday a few years ago - and I didn't do it through choice.

The idiot wasn't the slow driver - the bigger idiots were those taking risks to overtake. And if everyone who doesn't like speed got the bus you'd be stuck behind all the extra buses.

Yeah ive nearly been wiped out by 2 pensioners in the past 4 weeks, they couldnt even see over the steering wheel.

These are PUBLIC roads - slow drivers, tractors, cyclists, horse & carts, walkers - are ALL entitled to use them

Absolutely and live and let live etc etc however.... you need a licence for the first two and there are some people who simply should not have their licence renewed. My dad is one and the Suzuki Jeep driver outside Kirk Michael Post Office at 1145 this morning is another. I won't describe what he did as it will be open to the usual hair splitting arguments but I'll just say he brought both sides of traffic to a complete halt and gridlock within 5 yards of pulling across both lanes from his parking space. Yes, we all might have bad days and make mistakes but this would be a driving test instant fail. He looked about 80 just like dad. I can't prove it of course but I bet he's a serial offender who 'usually gets away with it'. All users on the PUBLIC roads have a right to be protected from a driver who has become incapable of applying the most basic skills for whatever reason.

I've been asking my dad to stop driving for the last 18 months but he thinks he's fine (just like he thinks my mother is still alive. She died two years ago). Unfortunately his doctor also thinks he's ok on a 5 minute (non driving) appraisal. There should be short (10 minutes in Douglas) annual revalidation driving mini test after 75. If you are ok, no problem, drive until you are 100. If not, you will soon be found out and suspension of the licence will do us all a favour. Btw before anyone thinks I being ageist, the same should automatically apply for anyone following a serious driving conviction. I believe its only an optional punishment at the moment.

Even worse are the idiots in rural pubs who think its ok to drive home after several pints, trust me if I spot them getting into the car I can bet I have managed a call to the police before they leave the carpark and if the fact their conviction ruins their own life, good saves ending some innocents life due to stupidity.

Well, if I could fix all the issues with one line, I would be a god; but as a mere mortal, I can only give you my experience as both a rider and a member of the TT community.

[...]

Damn right. Hopefully someone in authority with half a braincell will read this and consider it for next TT (or the MGP).

shouldn't be a problem then, most of those in authority only have half a braincell.

What a tolerant little chappie you are.

These are PUBLIC roads - slow drivers, tractors, cyclists, horse & carts, walkers - are ALL entitled to use them. Anyway, maybe the pensioner wasn't afraid - just enjoying his drive, or on a necessary journey. I had to pick a new born baby up from The Jane on Mad Sunday a few years ago - and I didn't do it through choice.

The idiot wasn't the slow driver - the bigger idiots were those taking risks to overtake. And if everyone who doesn't like speed got the bus you'd be stuck behind all the extra buses.

I think the point Snaipyr was trying to make was that the slow driving caused frustration thus causing people to take risks they might not otherwise take. You can be fined for driving too slowly on the road just as you can for driving too fast. I've no problem with people driving slowly just as long as they abide by the Highway code and periodically pull in to let faster traffic past. I believe it is called courtesy, something which is sadly lacking all the way from R plate drivers to Octagenarions whether they be on wheels or legs!

As for Ballaughbiker, I agree, I have a relative who cannot see the requisite distance for driving (actually for walking), but because he doesn't go to the Dr's no one can stop him from driving. He drives at 25mph whether in town or in a drz, he can't drive in fading light as he can't see and his standard of driving is poor. No amount of talking to him can get him to see sense, what do I do next, shop him to the police, if I do I'll feel like a sh*t but the longer I don't the more chance there is of him having and accident and then what?

No amount of talking to him can get him to see sense, what do I do next, shop him to the police, if I do I'll feel like a sh*t but the longer I don't the more chance there is of him having and accident and then what?
That's exactly my dilemma. Its been an eye opener seeing a close relative on the downhill slope that will end in dementia. Of course he thinks he's fine and the rest of the world is mad and just won't accept that he shouldn't be driving. He has never taken a driving test in his life and had a class 3 HGV until he was to old for that. There's certainly something wrong with a system that lets you drive until something bad happens....

I thought the TT went very well. Perhaps a few of the older riders are past it, like Sammy Miller who flew off at Waterworks, but most are OK.

I wish the same could be said for the Lake District/North Yorkshire. We loose bikers on an almost daily basis.

(and fell walkers).

It's a shame that it is always the mindless minority of people who cause trouble, and by doing so, ruin everything for the sensible majority.

Unfortunately, TT fortnight seems to turn some of the locals into mindless idiots. They dust off their bikes and leathers, and treat all our roads like a one way race track, overtaking on blind corners at speed, even where there are speed restrictions in force.

I get out and about during the fortnight each year, and if anything, have found the standard of driving of bikers with Manx plates to be getting worse. They then get into a pack with overseas bikers, who think that the locals know what they are doing and follow them like lemmings.

I like the TT, and I like bikes, but do wish that a bit more common sense prevailed on the roads.

Archived