[BBC News] Race accident figures 'worrying'

Newsbot

It is dangerous. It is an anachronism. And it will end, soon...

...it is a non-event in the biking world, a non event in the sporting world. If it wasn't the only nail the Tourism Department could hang their coats on, it would have ended years ago.

You're a fan then?

I'm one of those come-overs (stop-over) who needs to be protected from himself. I'd never been in to bikes, went on the back of one once as a kid. Terrified me... never again.

Then I moved here for work in 1992. First TT... fell in love. Bought a new Triumph 675 on the Saturday of the first practice of this year.

I'd like parchedpeas and the rest to make my life safe. Take away my dangerous motorbike. Stop me eating red meat or drinking alcohol (perhaps they'll let me have a little bit?) Put a speed limiter on my car (will 25 mph be okay?)

Make sure I never decide to go up a mountain or for a dive. I don't smoke so no worries there.

It'll be great in parchedpeas land, everyone will exist until they're 110 years old when they finally die of boredom... but they'll exist that long, because no one will live.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't show concern for road safety, of course we should, but we shouldn't simply pass draconian laws or stop people from doing something they enjoy because of it. We can easily pass laws to suit ourselves. How about... anyone caught 10mph over a speed limit has their vehicle impounded for a fortnight? No driving ban needed, so it could be used all year around but at TT it would take those who speed in built up areas off the road for the rest of their holiday. Turn the Bottle Neck car park into a pound so people are reminded of the law. Once there's ten or so bikes in there, the speeding in town will stop for sure!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But a few of these serious accidents this year as in most years took place in 30mph limits and the blame lies with careless local motorists!!!

Would you care to expand on that, please? I'm not criticising, just curious.

There are investigations going on I believe into a particular accident which closed the road in Union Mills.

Archived