[BBC News] 'Dangerous' drug batch on island

Newsbot

Jimbms, the man who died last week got addicted to codeine while recovering from a broken arm, he went to prison a pot head and came out a fully blown heroin addict, what do you know of anyones personal circumstances to be so judgmental?

Anyone know when the funeral is? I cannot find a phone number for David Gray House, Daves parents are dead and I don't like any of his friends enough to have their number.

I am not commenting on individual cases but on the soft approach to addicts in general, but saying you brought it up no one forced him to take heroin, as for the codine and broken arm, I suffer from severe rheumatoid arthritis take biological drugs daily and anti inflams and pain killers when needed at time this is often due to the pain, yet I have never found I am addicted to painkillers but I assure you the pain I have at times is far worse than any broken arm and it has been for several years, yet at time I go months without them without a craving for them, nor do I feel the need for heroin. So the excuse of addiction to painkillers leading on to harder drugs is pure bollocks, and his choice to go to harder drugs cannot be attributed to a broken arm.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone know when the funeral is? I cannot find a phone number for David Gray House, Daves parents are dead and I don't like any of his friends enough to have their number.

I think he was in the same class as my brother quite a few years ago - didn't he have a sister too? I would suspect funeral arrangements may well appear in tomorrows Examiner?

There you go again, your pain is worse than his pain? are you a psychic?

the doctors tell us we can't feel pain when we're dead so i would say jimbms pain is definitly worse. i hope the doctors are correct though??, because to 'feel' a post mortem ( skull cut open, all major organs removed and weighed etc ) would make the pains of life seem like nothing.

Judging from what I've read, it seems that 'Dave' was addicted to hard drugs and died because of it.

It just seems a shame that some people have to dabble in drugs, to get whatever kick they can out of life to become accepted in certain circles.

Maybe they lack certain attributes as a child, maybe bullied, lack of personal skills, lack of parental support, mixed with the wrong crowd etc, etc.... and so on.

I feel sorry for any parent who've tried to do their very best for their child, only to see them choose the wrong path. Some parents however, have poor parental skills and couldn't give a hoot to whatever their children do/did and it's like a vicious circle. The word sterilization springs to mind for those uncaring people and it's no wonder that certain kids become disjointed and dysfunctional, but as to what will change this, I'm not entirely sure, as we seem to be compounded with far to many do gooders for my own liking to make an impact on them.

Thinking about 'Dave', I just wondered as to what he was like as a child at school and what made him take that wrong path? Anyone?

the pain I have at times is far worse than any broken arm and it has been for several years, yet at time I go months without them without a craving for them, nor do I feel the need for heroin. So the excuse of addiction to painkillers leading on to harder drugs is pure bollocks, and his choice to go to harder drugs cannot be attributed to a broken arm.

Fair enough you have not succumbed to any sort of painkiller addiction yourself, but to say it's bollocks is in fact itself bollocks.

Codeine is opiate like heroin, albeit way weaker in the kind of doses you get for mild - moderate pain from a prescription.

It can become addictive in just the same way, which is probably why they even say on the packaging for most products with codeine that it can lead to addiction with prolonged use.

I have quite strong painkillers (tramadol) for my back and frankly I think I can see why people do get addicted to them, both in terms of physical addiction and dependence for the pain relief. Plus once the body builds up a tolerance and you're addicted then it's likely that you'll 'progress' to something nastier.

I usually investigate medicine online to see what people say about it before taking it so I know what I might be in for and the number of people who wanted help for addiction to this stuff is worrying - enough to make me very cautious and frugal with its use just in case.

Tramadol is codeine, same shit different label & there's loads of people addicted to it, which is totally unacceptable. Being anti prescription drugs isn't a vote winner though. I'm a walking MIMs book. One of the things I find 'funny' about myself is that, back in the day I would have thrown any old E's down my neck, now, I check out every single medicine the family Bees are given, I avoid giving the children antibiotics absolutely. I question the tablets the doctor wants to give me, which was a problem when I came to pack in smoking "You won't want the Champix if you think SSRI's mess with the brain?" - pah blew my easy route to packing in the evil nicotine there didnt i? hahahaaa

Manxy - Dave was a well loved child, I imagine he was a bit picked on at school due to his size. I knocked about with him when he was in his early-late 20's, he was a happy-go-lucky kind of person he had been to prison for the odd bit of pot but was a good person. None of us were bad, we were just kids messing about with drugs. I'm not sure what to think, was it an accident or did he mean to die? Imagine being 44 and being stuck in a stupid kids bail hostel with 'peodos' and the like, just for drugs? The indignity of it. Don't get me wrong, he could be an absolute ass but on the most he was a gentle giant. I wish I could have helped him & am still very sad about this.

So.......how come half the people I used to hang out with ended up dead? Heroin and a severe lack of education. One thing that I have never understood about heroin addicts is 'why do they have more?', the after effects are horrible, surely people think "I feel like a bag of shit today, if I have some more of that I'm going to feel like 2 bags of shit the day after" to my mind people choose to be heroin addicts because the rat race isn't for them. A house, kids, car, pets and holidays to Benidorm aren't everyones idea of an idyllic life (is it anyones? lol)

Jimbms, try taking more alcohol before your opiates next time :) (don't really, I'm just being mean)

I'm rather off the topic here, but for the record, we have had quite an awful experience with this sort of matter. Perhaps another time.

This caught my eye:

the doctors tell us we can't feel pain when we're dead so i would say jimbms pain is definitly worse. i hope the doctors are correct though??, because to 'feel' a post mortem ( skull cut open, all major organs removed and weighed etc ) would make the pains of life seem like nothing.

It is my strongly confirmed belief that we do feel pain when we die but not in the sense we know whilst living. When our physical body dies our soul remains for eternity. The form and existence that soul takes depends on how we lived our lives.

To simplify, if we had done some terrible things and harmed others, even by lying or covering up things and did things we actually KNEW were not right, then those matters surface to the consciousness on our death and don't leave the soul. The soul remains in turmoil. A bit like sometimes waking up in the night with something dreadful on our mind.

Sorry to go off the subject but I thought I'd make that note.

Unfortunately, we had our own experiences with these drugs. I won't help matters by saying they weren't available in our day but there again we simply didn't see the need for changes our life direction so rapidly.

Jimbms, try taking more alcohol before your opiates next time :) (don't really, I'm just being mean)

Hehehe don't worry I sometimes do, I find a mix apple scnapps, leflodomine, pendsitromal , naproxine and tramadol work quite well on the 2 or 3 occasions a year when the pain gets unbarable lets me sleep for a couple of hours whilst the inflamation of the joints goes down. :thumbsup:

I'm rather off the topic here, but for the record, we have had quite an awful experience with this sort of matter. Perhaps another time.

This caught my eye:

It is my strongly confirmed belief that we do feel pain when we die but not in the sense we know whilst living. When our physical body dies our soul remains for eternity. The form and existence that soul takes depends on how we lived our lives.

exactly how was your strong belief 'confirmed'?? who came back from the dead and told YOU about the 'pain'? santa? the tooth fairy? easter bunny?? EVERY body does something in life that is not right , even if just through not knowing the rules or knowing better. does this then mean we are all fooked in the unproveable afterlife that we are told to believe on faith?? i think you too had better stop taking whatever just in case you get the dosage wrong.

To simplify, if we had done some terrible things and harmed others, even by lying or covering up things and did things we actually KNEW were not right, then those matters surface to the consciousness on our death and don't leave the soul. The soul remains in turmoil. A bit like sometimes waking up in the night with something dreadful on our mind.

Shouldn't this all be in the thread about odd superstitions?

That's no different to believing that you will get 72 virgins (or camels depending on your preference) if you blow up a load of squaddies or other 'infidels'.

Always be ready for a slating on religion on here Jed - most of it is meant in good humour, but it arouses many passions, and a verbal pasting is fairly much guaranteed every time.

That's no different to believing that you will get 72 virgins (or camels depending on your preference) if you blow up a load of squaddies or other 'infidels'.

Always be ready for a slating on religion on here Jed - most of it is meant in good humour, but it arouses many passions, and a verbal pasting is fairly much guaranteed every time.

He he he, like "the old goat" who tried to convert the whole forum to islam and couldn't understand why we didn't want to :lol::rolleyes:

Yes, I can see that now. The phrase 'strongly confirmed belief' is a little much when talking with people who have never even met.

I'm not so young now and have had sometimes rather too much experience of what life can throw at you.

Perhaps I should keep such philosophising to those moments near the end of a shared bottle of malt whisky, when it is decided that to open another bottle might not be such a bad idea after all.

Still, it is always pleasant to have a reaction from a forum such as this. I shan't be taking any offence though and hopefully won't be dishing any out either, and the occasional 'verbal pasting' should do me no harm.

Archived