New Bishop

Theodolite

I listened to him on the Sunday pre-Mannin line programme this week. He inferred that as he had been selected by the prime minister he had been effectively 'democratically elected'. Tony Blair/Gordon Broon's cronies got in with 22% of the available vote and 33% of the actual turnout. Democracy my arse.

Religion and politics don't mix in my view. Tynwald should vote to take away his vote IMO - but to be polite, simply let him still attend and have his say.

He had a way with Teflon coated words alright, and has obviously been groomed in the ways and means of Tony.

Something like:

Yes of course, by being awarded the post via Gordon and the very Queen herself - who are themselves of course democratically elected or something to do with a democratically society, he too was therefore democratically elected (I was waiting him to finish the sentence with an aloof "how can't you see that, you pleb")

. . . and as for all this "what about judaism and catholicism". The Isle of Man is a designated Christian Church of England country therefore ipso dipso factatum, there NEEDS to be a bishop. So there.

. . . and as for all this "what about judaism and catholicism". The Isle of Man is a designated Christian Church of England country therefore ipso dipso factatum, there NEEDS to be a bishop. So there.

The Isle of Man is not populated by a bunch of sheep bowing to a nanny state therefore ipso dipso factatum, there NEED NOT be some pompous over paid member of a useless brainwashing sect representing the views of an ancient fable who calls himself a Bishop

The Isle of Man is not populated by a bunch of sheep bowing to a nanny state therefore ipso dipso factatum, there NEED NOT be some pompous over paid member of a useless brainwashing sect representing the views of an ancient fable who calls himself a Bishop

Exactly. put them all to the sword.

Bollocks. Who designated it a C of E country? The C of E I would guess.

I would prefer it if our govenments could distance themselves from superstitious claptrap and mumbo-jumbo based around all-powerful supernatural beings.

i think the bishop will be an asset to the island, and maybe he can stop the building of a mansion house in the grounds of peel cathederal. i've seen the plans and wonder why these people are still collecting money on a Sunday, when they obviously have money to burn. why on earth do they need such a big residence for a church this size, they reckon 30,000 people a year will come over just to see that quaint parish church, and enjoy the cafe facilities they are planning. one good thing is the elaborate gardens which will be laid out. at last somewhere nice for the feral children of peel to consume the alcohol they've bought from local retailers. i do wonder though how much it will cost each year to keep these gardens looking nice, as the children destroy them on a regular basis. i do wonder which local building firm will be used to carry out all of this lucrative work and which firm will be contracted to keep the gardens looking nice. still if you look for an alternative use for this prime land in peel, how about a bloody car park with doggy bins and another cafe and hairdressers you can never have enough of those

There has been much reporting on the News on Manx Radio about the "Enthroning of the Bishop"

I think this Isle of Man thing is getting out of hand, the joke is wearing thin.

80,000 people and we have a throned bishop, a governor, a president, a clutch of deemsters, an Attorney General, 24 MHKs, some MLCs, and all topped off with a few legion of highly paid and pensioned civili servants.

I do take it that the Bish is paid for by the Church of England? Which if he is, makes it rather odd that he has a vote at all.

Archived