[BBC News] Poppy co-ordinator appointed MBE

Newsbot

Awesome and Well Done.

It might be not a well known fact but the IOM has been top off the selling of Poppies for some time.

Brilliant job by all concerned.

Yes, I wondered this too.

But we don't have an army or other forces do we. I often imagined what would happen if there were to be some sort of invasion? Would we all stand on the beaches and throw poppies at them?

At least we are showing appreciation for all those that die in wars to keep us free.

A bit off topic but I'm not in agreement with this Iraq business at all. There were no Weapons of Mass Destruction whatsoever.

Now we have over 100 of our boys killed, we can't withdraw and we are being blackmailed by the government and to an extent the media. We are being made to say they mustn't die in vain (ie die for Tony Blair and his cronies if you ask me). So all of a sudden it is a just and good war to allow Iraqi women to get educated and take off their Burkas and whatever and all that sort of stuff. I'm not altogether sure that is any of our business. There are plenty of other countries need our assistance if we feel so determined to help others out.

But we don't have an army or other forces do we. I often imagined what would happen if there were to be some sort of invasion? Would we all stand on the beaches and throw poppies at them?

At least we are showing appreciation for all those that die in wars to keep us free.

The island has a relatively high figure per head of population who were killed in the 1st and 2nd world wars. Lots of people from the island have joined up, including me, and the island puts money towards its own defence. The Steam Packet also rescued a high proportion of the troops stranded at Dunkirk, and lost ships and many men.

The island has a relatively high figure per head of population who were killed in the 1st and 2nd world wars. Lots of people from the island have joined up, including me, and the island puts money towards its own defence. The Steam Packet also rescued a high proportion of the troops stranded at Dunkirk, and lost ships and many men.

Sorry, my intention wasn't to be disrespectful. For some years I have taken part in the Remembrance Day Parade in Douglas and am aware of the sacrifices the Island made in both World Wars.

I do fear that this current conflict in the Middle East area was quite unnecessary. We are there now however, whether we like it or not and I suppose the situation will be dealt with as each day arises.

That said, well done Audrey, she works tirelessly throughout the year (I attend quite a few of the functions) and this is one of the MBEs awarded on the Island which I throughly agree with.

She is a nice lady too (if my memory is working & its who I think it is, the dress shop lady?)

Different Audrey Brown.

Audrey was a telephonist at the telephone exchange in Dalton Street, a really nice person. Her award is well deserved.

Archived