25% Increase In Line Rental?

gd0nfn

How can you save money if they're upping the cost anyways? Or is it said in a poetic onlooking way?

You'd really have to use your landline an awful lot (and who the hell does these days?) to actually come out of it any better off.

As far as I can see they're deliberately making the basic Standard Choice tariff somewhat unattractive, by raising its cost and limiting free local calls to weekends only. At the same time they're making the middle Island Choice tariff a bit cheaper (all of 50p) and dangling the carrot of free local calls in the evenings and at weekends. (Still 3p per minute during the day though!)

As I've said, it's a bloody cheek really, since the effective cost of local fixed line to local fixed line calls as far as MT are concerned is effectively zero, since the network is in place and it's all just data over that existing network. I appreciate it costs money to install and maintain, but 4.5p per minute for a local call during the day (which is what it costs on Standard Choice) is way over the odds IMO.

Island Choice costs £12.50 per month as opposed to £9.50 per month for Standard Choice, so what they're wanting to do is get £3 per month extra out of as many people as possible, and in return they're 'giving away' something that effectively costs them nothing (local calls).

Also, Island Choice and Global Choice get cheaper calls to UK mobiles ('up to' 25% apparently), but again Standard Choice customers get the shaft by the looks of it, as no mention of reductions for them. (Doesn't mention an increase either.)

Basically, you either pay the £3 extra per month for Island Choice, or you'll probably get screwed for an extra £3 per month call charges (at least) on Standard Choice if you decide to stay there - plus another £1.50 if you don't accept direct debits and e-billing.

At the end of the day they're a business and they're here to make money, but they've chosen an economically difficult time to impose thinly disguised price rises which will, in all likelihood, have the biggest real and relative negative impact on the less well off and the elderly.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How long ago did they stop doing pay quarterly plans (with a price increase involved in that too)?

i have that on my mobile phone bill, ( or is that because i keep forgeting to pay them)

i must remember to pay them this week cause im sure thay be cutting me off soon as it has been 4 months oppps :rolleyes:

My point (maybe made badly) is that I don't need a landline and therefore I'd prefer to pay for only what I need, rather than having to have a landline with a number attached to it as well as broadband, when all I want is the latter.

Guess I'm in the minority and guess I have to live with it, ah well.

Only to be expected after their full monopoly was finally breached. Unfortunately, they still own all the wires and if you can't get wireless you stuck with them. Come the revolution and someone puts wi-fi on the Jurby mast the whole of the north can have a choice, including me. MT can disconnect me after that for all I care. They had their own way too long (well since the 1986 back hander)

I haven't made a call on MT for years (at least 10) using a cheap calls system then VOIP.

I don't like an increase in any bills but I can see where it comes from. The rising cost of electricity, fuel for their vehicles and inflation pay rises for their staff has to be made up from somewhere.

Pay rises will only further fuel inflation. It's time everyone considered taking a pay cut - or at least a 3 - 5 year freeze.

That goes hand - in - hand with companies taking smaller profit margins. Obviously.

Jesus, when i saw 25% increase in line rental i wasn't expecting to see a whole £2, wow, thats really going to rinse out the wallet.

FFS, get a grip, with the prices of everything else going up the way they do, i mean deisel must have gone up 10p p/l in a year.

That's the point - £2 up here, £10 up there and £50 up there - it's soon about to add up to a couple of hundred quid a month - which for those on the average salary is effectively a 10/20% pay cut.

My point (maybe made badly) is that I don't need a landline and therefore I'd prefer to pay for only what I need, rather than having to have a landline with a number attached to it as well as broadband, when all I want is the latter.

Guess I'm in the minority and guess I have to live with it, ah well.

But you do need a landline, for broadband :)

I get what you mean though, you want a landline without phone calls enabled, but I guess the phone call part of the fixed line cost is such a tiny proportion vs the actual cost of the network that it's not worth splitting out.

Jesus, when i saw 25% increase in line rental i wasn't expecting to see a whole £2, wow, thats really going to rinse out the wallet.

FFS, get a grip, with the prices of everything else going up the way they do, i mean deisel must have gone up 10p p/l in a year.

That's the point - £2 up here, £10 up there and £50 up there - it's soon about to add up to a couple of hundred quid a month - which for those on the average salary is effectively a 10/20% pay cut.

I think you'll find that's Manx Gas you're talking about there :D I guess compared to them, MT popping £2.00 on after how ever many years (I can't remember the last line rental increase but I know how many times I've heard from Manx Gas) then it actually isn't that bad. Don't use the eco friendly card though & then cull a few trees to tell us all. If it's inflation, running costs, staff pay rises etc, then tell us.

I'm totally in favor of electronic billing but don't understand why they have chosen to implement a system which requires people to download and install a dedicated application. None of my other online accounts require a dedicated application.

Just wait for "Sure" to launch their Landline and Broadband service on July 13th.

There you go. Problem solved (assuming they are as cheap as I've heard they are going to be, of course)...

...GOMH*...

I thought they were going to do wireless broadband? Not Sure (heh) how they can do Landlines without digging up the roads, and I've not seen a lot of that? Or is this some kind of LLU?

Archived