25% Increase In Line Rental?

gd0nfn

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Partial solution

pre october Manx telecom phone bill excluding line rental £59/month

post october went onto Wimanx broadband and their VOIP system still have to pay line rental phone bill for about 30% increase in calls most to UK mobiles £38/month all landline calls free

This is blatent discrimination against those who have no internet and/or have no bank account.

By their own admission they have a monopoly on fixed line telephone systems.

My internet connection here is rubbish, manx.net is hardly ever available when I log on, my mobile signal is constantly interupted and the network here is unavailable 30-40% of the time in the evenings.

How can this be allowed to happen - while we are paying good money for a bad service as it is.

This is blatent discrimination against those who have no internet and/or have no bank account.

By their own admission they have a monopoly on fixed line telephone systems.

My internet connection here is rubbish, manx.net is hardly ever available when I log on, my mobile signal is constantly interupted and the network here is unavailable 30-40% of the time in the evenings.

How can this be allowed to happen - while we are paying good money for a bad service as it is.

Read the post above and look in the internet section in forums then switch to Wimanx everyone seems happy with them

What happens if, on each bill, you deduct the £1.50 charges for ignoring their entreaties to go DD and have email bills and then pay the balance as usual?

To sign up for e-bill - you have to set up DD.

Im going to use the MEA account to pay mine.

What happens if, on each bill, you deduct the £1.50 charges for ignoring their entreaties to go DD and have email bills and then pay the balance as usual?

To sign up for e-bill - you have to set up DD.

Im going to use the MEA account to pay mine.

Sorry, meant if you did not opt for EITHER DD or email bills

Mac users are also ruled out for the e-bill discounts.

Apparently Mac users will actually be able to view the bills online - and therefore will be able to sign up for the discount. Same as we can currently view our cellphone bills online. I telephoned them and asked. The brochure seems to be a bit misleading on that issue.

A web based platform neutral application would be best - but a PDF will do. Which means that if you just want to look at your bill it shouldn't be necessary for Windows users to install the application either.

[

The brochure seems to be a bit misleading on that issue.

The message you get when trying to access the MT Web account page at the moment is also a bit misleading -

"Unfortunately due to high demand My Account is temporarily unavailable while we update the site"

It's either "Unfortunately, due to high demand My Account is temporarily unavailable" or "My Account is temporarily unavailable while we update the site"

I can’t see this covered anyplace on the Forum – today I got a letter from Manx Telecom telling me that from 1st July they are going to increase my line rental costs by what seems like 25.3% (from £7.09/month to £9.50/month). If I don’t allow them to take my money by Direct Debit that will cost me another £1 a month and if I will not accept a bill via e-mail another 50p a month.

No choice, but I can pay more if I wish!

Am I unfair in being critical of this monopoly or should I just be happy with their way of extracting money from me?

Do our folk who can’t or don’t wish to use the computer (Windows OS only for the bill decoder) have to take on board these extra costs, just so that MT can make more profit; no mention of the post office who will loose the bill paying business.

I will be interested in your views.

John

Just got that same letter, you're right, it is going to go up a whopping 2 quid a month. However, if you take advantage of a couple of the new things they're adding you'll end up spending a lot less, you neglected to mention that. No news like bad news.

Fail.

ps, you go get 'em GOHM.

There are a couple of new things like on the Standard Choice (£9.50/mth) the cost of local fixed line calls in the day time goes up 4.4% and the cost of day time calls to UK fixed lines goes up 5.3%. The only thing going down on that tariff is weekend calls to local fixed lines; that goes from 0.5p to free. No doubt a good accountant has calculated a no loss situation for MT on the package. You are missing the point if you think the changes are good news.

With regard to your previous comment about it only being £2 and dismissing the percentage argument; 25% is significant to many people who are dependant on the phone and with all the other cost increases this could make their life far less comfortable.

No one has commented on the loss of paying your bill through the post office, is this facility so underused that it will not be missed?

John

Has anyone compared the prices to a similar country like they normally do?

I know BT has a standard rental of £10:50 not sure about other same sized Islands.

Jersey Telecom basic line rental is £11.50 a month (of course, no VAT) with different packages on top of that if required.

Guernsey Telecom was sold to Cable & Wireless Guernsey, and their basic phone line rental is £10.99 a month, with free calls to local fixed lines off-peak thrown in.

Has anyone compared the prices to a similar country like they normally do?

I know BT has a standard rental of £10:50 not sure about other same sized Islands.

Cable & Wireless in Guernsey and Jersey charges £7.99 a month for fixed line rental, so cheaper than MT by a few quid a month.

Local calls are 1.7p a min and have a max price of 4.8p, so cheaper by day, but more expensive by night, but depending on the length of call.

UK call rates much cheaper with C&W, UK standard from Geurnsey 4p, MT 7.1p. MT are slightly cheaper off peak though.

Archived